PDA

View Full Version : One More City Bans Them...

areias
10-31-2005, 07:38 AM
Article Link (http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3145901)

Aurora - After today, Aurora pit-bull owners will have 90 days to get a special license and comply with new regulations or risk losing their hounds.

The City Council is scheduled to formally approve the new rules in a procedural vote today, making Aurora the sixth Colorado city and the third in the metro area to forbid pit bulls.

Unlicensed pit bulls could be captured and killed, according to Aurora officials.

"There is nothing more to do with pit bulls," said councilwoman Molly Markert, who supported the ban. "We met the community's needs, based on what we heard and what we gathered. We acted very responsibly."

The city's ordinance will ban 10 breeds, including pit bull-type dogs. But it includes a grandfather clause for dogs currently in the city. Those owners wishing to keep their dogs must get an annual $200 license, have at least $100,000 in liability insurance and follow a host of requirements that include keeping dogs in secured pens while they are in the backyard.

Council members approved the ordinance in a 6-3 vote on Oct. 10 after listening to hours of public comment from dog lovers opposed to the ban. Today's second reading is to make sure the ordinance language is correct.

The city originally planned a $600 annual license to pay for more staff and equipment to enforce the ban. The council later dropped the cost to $200, but plans are still in the works to hire two contract employees, financed by fees and fines from violators.

Also, the council agreed to evaluate whether the ban is working in two years.

Pit-bull owners say they aren't happy with the ban.

"I don't think it's right," said Glen White of Aurora, who owns a 1 1/2-year-old pit bull named Tilly. He said he doesn't like the idea of city workers inspecting his house to see if he is complying with the rules.

"My dog is not illegal. I am not a lawbreaker," he said. "But this treats me like a criminal. It's very discriminating."

Joanna Steffen, a veterinarian technician from Aurora, called the ordinance an overreaction.

"Personally, I don't think pit bulls are any more dangerous than any other large-breed dog," she said. "I stand a better chance of being bit by a Chihuahua than a pit bull. But the pit bull does more damage. In the meantime, I think the importance of training for the owners is foremost."
And Sonya Dias of Denver has been working against the bans in both cities.

"It's not going to work to keep the public safer," she said. "(The city) already has hit the wall in (its) ability to handle complaints. They are going to add on picking up and killing good family dogs instead of going after dangerous dogs."

------------------------------
And the other piece of the article:

Aurora to ban new pit bull-like breeds
Breeds included in Aurora's new pit-bull ordinance are the American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog, Presa Canario (also known as the Canary dog, Canary Island dog), Presa Mallorquin (also known as the Ca De Bou), Cane Corso, Dogo Argentine (also known as the Dogo Argentino), Fila Brasileiro (also known as the Fila, Brazilian Mastiff), Tosa (also known as the Tosa Inu) and any mixed breed that bears the majority of physical characteristics as the "standard" for any of these breeds.

Violators can be fined up to $700.

To keep their dogs, current owners must:

Pay an annual $200 licensing fee.

Spay or neuter their dogs, provide proof of rabies vaccination and have a microchip implanted in the dog.

Be at least 21 years old.

Provide proof of at least $100,000 of liability insurance.

Confine their dogs in a locked, secured pen or enclosure.

Post warning signs on their property.

Muzzle their dogs and have them on a leash no more than 4 feet long when walking them.

__________________________________________________ _______________

areias
10-31-2005, 07:40 AM
This is getting ridiculous. Pay $200 to have your dog??? Plus you must have a muzzle and a leash less than 4ft long. I don't think my dogs would enjoy walks like that.

Please read the breed list. Not only does it include Pits, Presa Canario, Dogo Argentinos, Tosa Inus....all banned! I can't stand the way people think.

Rome takes a step forward, we take a step back.

Jadapit
10-31-2005, 07:54 AM
:mad: My son lives in Aurora. That is where Ebony is from. After he got Ebony his boss told him he had to go out of town a lot so he didn't have the time to spend with Ebony, he called and asked if we would take her we said yes, my husband went and picked her up. He wouldnt have been able to keep Ebony anyway with this ban he couldnt afford $100,000 insurance. :( The whole ban thing is just WRONG!!!!

DS Chins
10-31-2005, 10:27 AM
The U.S. is starting to sound more and more like Italy .... While I was living in Italy, they put out a breed ban list, that contained 92 or 97 different breeds, including, welsh corgi's, st. bernards, pit bulls, rottweilers, and many many more. I know in the Naples area the ban wasn't strongly enforced, but if you have an italian neighbor that doesn't like your dog and that breed is on the ban list they can make a stink about things and eventually have your dog taken and destroyed (even though euthanization is illegal in Italy)
The ban was good ONLY for the fact that if you were under the age of 18 you couldn't own a dog on the ban list, and that if you had a past criminal record you couldn't own a dog on the ban list.
However just to take our Rottweilers for a walk over there they had to be muzzled and on a very short leash and you had to carry their rabies certificate with you.
When will the world realize it's not the breeds it's irresponsible owners!!!

Pit Chick
10-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Also, the council agreed to evaluate whether the ban is working in two years.

They couldn't research other cities that have done the breed bans to see that they haven't worked?

And since when have all those other breeds they listed been considered "pit bull type"? With the exception of AmStaffs and Staffy Bulls, all the other breeds are Mastiff type dogs. ERRRRRRR!! This just goes to show, no breed is safe from breed bans. How did Rotties, Dobies, Shepherds, and Chows miss this list and a bunch of rare breeds are banned? Not that I want to see any of them on the list, but the 4 mentioned already have a bad reputation which would make more sense if they were on the list, instead they go after breeds that "look" similar to Pits? WTF?!? :mad:

Pit Chick
10-31-2005, 10:34 AM
When will the world realize it's not the breeds it's irresponsible owners!!!

We wouldn't want to blame the owners, that might hurt their feelings and people will scream discrimination as usual.

areias
10-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Article Link (http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3145901)

"Personally, I don't think pit bulls are any more dangerous than any other large-breed dog," she said. "I stand a better chance of being bit by a Chihuahua than a pit bull. But the pit bull does more damage. In the meantime, I think the importance of training for the owners is foremost."
And Sonya Dias of Denver has been working against the bans in both cities.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I agree 100% with that statement. I have met more aggressive chihuahuas, bichons, maltese, cocker spaniels, etc than I have ever met of pit bulls. In my whole life I can remember seeing only two pit bulls (personally) that were completely people aggressive.

A friend of mine is a groomer. She has been bitten three times by three different golden retrievers. She has never had an aggressive pit bull come through. Even temperment testing proves that pits have better temperments than most. :mad: