PDA

View Full Version : Stressed

dab_20
10-30-2005, 08:40 PM
ok my pup sammy is sure gettin big. (for a cocker pup) he is HORRIBLE in his potty training. he has peed in the house about 6 times in the last 4 hours, plus outside. he drinks and drinks and drinks and drinks..... well you get it. should i be worried that he drinks all the time? when he comes in from going potty he drinks for like 5 minutes. i take away his water about an hour and a hlaf before bed so he wont pee in his kennel. he is making me so stressed. even molli peed on the floor today!! she hasnt made a mistake in a few months. she is starting to chew on the furniture just because sammy does. (and he gets corrected for it to.)
why has molli been acting like a misbehaving puppy again?? i just am confused :confused:

Jessika
10-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Monkey see, monkey do! ;)

As far as potty training goes.. consistancy is the key. The first few months are very stressful and it seems like they're just never going to learn. Then one day its like a light switch goes off in their head and THEY GET it!

If he is drinking THAT much water, that's why he potties in the house so much! Limit his water intake so he won't drink as much and therefore won't have so many accidents. You NEED to get him on a potty schedule (if you haven't already) and bring him outside every 1 1/2 to 2 hours on the dot. Once he gets used to this he can start training his bladder to be able to hold it longer and longer. :)

Flatcoatluver
10-30-2005, 08:53 PM
yeah i agree with jessika

.sarah
10-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Yes, definetly limit the water and take him out on a schedule. It may take a while, especially if he is a rescue from a bad situation or is from a breeder who raised the pups outside. Nova was raised outside and it took her about 3 months to be potty trained. She is a genius at everything else and this was the only thing that took her a while -- and it was all because she was used to being able to go anywhere!

dab_20
10-30-2005, 09:56 PM
if you think three months is awhile, it took molli until she was 10 months old to be potty trained! (thats our record time for potty training any dog we've had by the way lol ;)) yes, we try and take sammy out every hour. thats what i did with molli when i was getting fed up with her mistakes. so molli is just copying sammy??

.sarah
10-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Yeah, she's probably copying him but I'm really not sure on that one.

Mandy was the BEST at potty training. She peed ONCE in the house, and hasn't done it since!!

Flatcoatluver
10-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Yeah, she's probably copying him but I'm really not sure on that one.

Mandy was the BEST at potty training. She peed ONCE in the house, and hasn't done it since!!
well youre really lucky then

DogLover9501
10-30-2005, 10:52 PM
I agree with Jessika too. Just get him used to a schedule :)

All 3 of mine were potty training within a month. Piddle took a bit longer, note his name LOL, but we later found out he had a water/bladder infection.

Good luck!

dab_20
11-01-2005, 07:29 PM
thanks everyone. he isnt doing SO bad. still make about 4 mistakes a day. he isnt the brightest bulb in the world. lol when i say NO! if he is chewing on my fingers or furniture, he just wags his tail and keeps on doing it. he thinks no is a reward or something. when he chews i tap him on the nose too. he doesnt like it very much so he growls. lol what a killer

.sarah
11-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Maybe your "no" isn't firm enough. YELL it if you have to, and in a deep, stern voice. Also give him a toy to chew on *instead* of the couch ;)

Since he's growling you will need to do dominance excercises. Roll him over on his side and hold his legs down so he can't get up. Do NOT let him up until he is quiet and still. If you let him up while he is wiggly, he has won.

Is he in a puppy or manners class? That would be a really good idea.

dab_20
11-01-2005, 07:42 PM
we normally give him toys instead, but when all the toys are on the floor, i am trying to do my homework, and mom is sick, we are to lazy to get up. lol ;)

no he is not in a puppy class because it is outragously priced, and to far away to go every week.

.sarah
11-01-2005, 08:10 PM
we normally give him toys instead, but when all the toys are on the floor, i am trying to do my homework, and mom is sick, we are to lazy to get up.

Unfortunately, if you want a well-trained dog, you can't have that attitude. Each time you continue to let him do things that he probably knows he shouldn't be doing, he wins. He'll be ruling the roost before long. As far as I know Cockers are normally a pretty dominant breed, so you really need to make an effort to correct him every time.

dab_20
11-01-2005, 08:28 PM
yep missy was VERY dominant. or maybe she was just impatiant because i was an annoying little kid that kept messing with her ears :confused: lol