PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of dog sports/activities are you interested in?

wolfsoul
10-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Is there anything you do with your dog or want to try with your dog?

Visa is in agility classes right now and she is a showdog. :) Next year we are going to a herding clinic and will join the obedience club, then the year after that I'd like to do schutzhund. We are going to enter the flying disc dogs competition every year too. I would also like to do therapy with her. There is a flyball club in Kelowna but I can't locate them, but that is something I am interested in. I don't know how well Visa would do though. There is also talk of starting a Rally-O club. I'd pretty much like to try our hand at almost everything! I am now a member of the Kelowna and District Kennel Club, so we will have lots of sanction matches (I can't WAIT for those-- good practise for the big shows!). It's just so much fun being involved with your dog. I hope that my catahoula will be as great a prospect as Visa.

What kinds of activities are you interested in? :)

sammy101
10-30-2005, 11:33 AM
I would like to start Agility with Lucy. I think she would enjoy it,and plus she loves to run. :) I've never really been interested in Flyball though.
Kodies not well trained enough for Agility,he's stubborn and he gets distracted to much :o

k9krazee
10-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Well with my current dogs I would love to get Mini into an Earthdog trial, I know that she'd love it. I would also like to compete with Jack in obedience someday and we are doing agility next summer.

I would love to have a dog someday that I could enter in flyball, a disc dog competetion, dock diving and hunt test trials as well as agility and obedience....*sigh* someday...

Ginger's Mom
10-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I have always loved agility. And lucky for me, Ginger really seems to like it too. We took a beginners class, but then I haven't taken her back again. That is what I really need/want to do. I also think she would love Fly Ball, but I don't really care for the trainers at the only place in the area that offers that, so I guess we will stick to agility. As a matter of fact maybe I will look into that tomorrow. Thanks. :)

Kfamr
10-30-2005, 12:24 PM
I'd really like to do agility or flyball with Ki, but all of the clubs I've found are around 1-2 hours away from here. My schedual just doesn't permit to be in any sort of club either.

binka_nugget
10-30-2005, 12:45 PM
I'd like to start agility with both dogs. Both could really use a confidence booster. Kai LOVED the mini agility courses we had in advance obedience. After we did those mini courses, he'd become so outgoing and playful.. which was rare for him to do in a class setting. He's normally very shy and fearful.

I'd also like to do obedience with them. At one point, I was confident that Kai could easily get his CDx but I've slacked with training ever since I started working.. and now I'm not so sure he could get his CD title. :o But I would like to start training again for obedience.

We tried out flyball with a local club. My mom and I got some bad vibes from that club so we never went back.. Kai had fun though. I actually found a club close to here that was excited about me having two Shelties (height dogs) since their club was full of bigger dogs. Haha.. if only I had a car.

They did therapy at one point. I was hoping that it would help Kai become less fearful of new people but it was too much for him to handle so we had to stop going. It was fun though.

And if I ever get the chance, I'd love to try getting their HIC. I don't know if my boys have any herding instinct in them but when I get my border collie, I'll definitely try it out.

chocolatepuppy
10-30-2005, 01:17 PM
I would love to do the dancing with one of my dogs! :)

Jessika
10-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I REALLY want to get Jamie involved in agility or something similar. But just right now I don't have the means or the money to do so. I WILL in the future!

Chilli
10-30-2005, 06:20 PM
If we lived closer to where we adopted Ethan, I'd love to get him into an agility class. He loves to run, but he would need some work, since he is a slow learner and shy in new places.

Frisk isn't much for an activity that deals with running or any kind of movement. Plus he's stubborn. He is a people dog, and he might do good as a therapy dog. That would be fun.

We don't live close to any places where we could do that kind of stuff, though.

Flatcoatluver
10-30-2005, 06:21 PM
zoey and t.j show in agility, and obedience t.j also does hunting, zoey doesn't because i don't belive in killing animals.

lv4dogs
10-31-2005, 08:40 AM
I'd love to compete in disc but unfortunetly it is not common at all near me. So I'll be showing Kaige in obedience for a couple years then move onto agility.

finn's mom
10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
There are several that I'm interested in. I would like to be able to test the waters, so to speak...in dock diving, agility, flying disc, and, flyball. I have briefly attempted dock diving (there's not really one Finn can get a running start on) and he can catch a flying disc once in awhile, but, I think he'd catch it more if I was a better disc thrower. :) I've never really had the chance to try the other two, though. I just want to see what he would enjoy the most! :)

ParNone
10-31-2005, 09:12 AM
I've done agility with Oz and we may go back to it for fun. I don't know if we'll ever compete though. He really loves frisbee better and woo he's been making some spectacular catches lately. There is a frisbee club downtown, so we might consider joining that.

Gull loves dancing and frisbee. For a Collie, he's pretty good at fetch too, so I could see him liking flyball. But really, his true love is the dancing. He gets so excited, whenever I get up and dance. I've taught him a couple moves, but I need to be more disciplined to train him something everyday.

Par...

pnance
10-31-2005, 10:29 AM
I do agility with Hunter and he loves it, I've thought about testing him for herding, but I'm not sure, he's seen sheep and seemed interested but it's about a 45 min drive whereas agility is 5 min, so that wins for now. :D Nikka has had hip surgery because of hip dysplasia, Bear arthritis, and Savannah can be dog aggressive so he's pretty much my only shot. ;)

wolf_Q
10-31-2005, 11:02 AM
I did agility with Nebo for a while. It was fun and he was doing quite well in it. I'd like to do it again but I haven't found any place close.

Showing dogs does sound like fun, but I don't think I could ever have an unaltered dog.

Nebo has little interest in frisbees, he likes water but won't swim let alone jump off a dock, and he loves to run but I think he'd just run off with flyball...so that's about it... Oh yeah and I really did want to have him be a therapy dog but he's just not that fond of people petting him and he's afraid of strangers most of the time so it wouldn't work! Hmm Sydney likes people though maybe I could try it with her...

cloverfdx
11-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Currently Clover and Elvis are competing in Flyball, Elvis' team in the top in the state at the moment, for both speed and consistency ;). We are having a little herding break at the moment until we can find some time to get back into it every week, hopefully we will be starting up again soon.

Clover is in training for her 1st Obedience title (CD - Companion Dog). *Cough* And Elvis well lets just say we will be going for that title for the next 10 years ;).

Elvis and i are starting Agility soon aswell, and he is getting pretty good at catching the frisbee. Clover is going for her therapy dog assesment this month sometime.

Wow reading through that we are pretty busy but it keeps the dogs happy and sane.

RobiLee
11-01-2005, 06:56 AM
I love all the dog sports and activities. I admire all of you who take so much time to work with your pups. I have no clue how to get involved in such things and I don't think my girls would be interested in it. When Katie and I did obedience school we did have a day where we did agility and she was extremely stubborn. I'm just a lazy dog owner though :o

vinjashira
11-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Last saturday was Snowy's last agility training :( She only had 5 classes this year, it's a pity really because she really enjoyed it. I can hardly wait for the class to start again in March. We're still doing obediance training but I don't think Snowy enjoys it as much as the agility.