PDA

View Full Version : kitty shedding nail pieces

ganime
03-25-2002, 03:24 AM
Hi,

My 5 month old male kitten leaves pieces of her nails on the floor. These are thin dissections of the whole nail. Also his nails look a bit cracked. Can these be because of lack of some vitamins? I feed him with dry food but he also eats from our meals; meat, eggs, beans, peas, leeks, carrots, potatos, yoghurt etc. But he doesn't like milk very much.

Can you help me with my problem?

Another thing is: I've recently heard from someone that we shouldn't feed cats anything sweet because it affects their eyesight. Is this true? Because I 've already given him ice cream and some other sweets 3-4 times :(

Thanks

AmberLee
03-25-2002, 09:59 AM
Most cats shed their nail sheaths on a fairly regular basis, that's the way I'm reading your post if you have concerns it's probably best to have a vet check him out.

I too give the fur-babies treats, but try to limit their sweets to very occasional times. Sounds like you're a good mommy to your fur-babies!

Good luck.

AmberLee
03-25-2002, 10:01 AM
P.S. Have you provided him a good scratching post? If so, you'll mostly find the bits of nail sheath embeded there. (Really freaked me out the first time I found some!) :o

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-25-2002, 08:51 PM
Yes, I find nail pieces every-now-and-then too. Nothing to worry about, but kind of weird the first couple times you find them. Can't help you on the sweats question. Tubby and Peanut prefer other things, but will occassionally beg for sweets. I think as long as it's not a regular thing you'll be ok.

04-22-2002, 01:33 AM
We also find pieces of Sydneys nails every day ; usually around his scratching post !! Perfectly normal you know !!
As to sweets , be careful !! It's not so good for their teeth , but is also bad for the intestines .... I used to let Sydney lick a bit of whipped cream , but now I never do that again !!! He got a really bad diarhea ; the vet ordered me to stop those sweets at once ....:rolleyes:

lynnestankard
04-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Ganime - all our three furkids shed bits of nails - it is a trifle worrying the first time!!!:eek: But quite normal.
I'd be careful about giving furkids anything with milk - it can give really bad diaharrea. None of mine are to bothered with sweet snacks - apart from a lick of a yoghurt pot!!!:) :)

Lynne

Former User
04-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
you'll mostly find the bits of nail sheath embeded there. (Really freaked me out the first time I found some!) :o

Yeah, no kidding AmberLee! I was so worried!

gini
04-24-2002, 09:36 PM
I find pieces of Rascal's nails all over the house - I think it is just a natural shedding as they grow.

As for sweets - I am very careful about that - again Rascal, as a really BIG treat - gets a tablespoon of vanilla ice cream which he loves. But I do not give him any other milk products - except for the random small piece of cheese.

My Magic (Rainbow Bridge) practically batted a whole glazed donut out of my hand one day - he loved them - but I figured they aren't that good for me - so they really can't be good for him.

:p :p

Logan
04-24-2002, 10:39 PM
The worst place we ever found one of Mimi's shedded nails was in Butter's head! Six pounds wins over 13 pounds every single time!!!! :D

Former User
04-25-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Logan
The worst place we ever found one of Mimi's shedded nails was in Butter's head! Six pounds wins over 13 pounds every single time!!!! :D

Girlpower! :D ;)

gini
04-25-2002, 08:27 AM
Last year a huge Tom wandered into our neighborhood. Rascal promptly took him on and when I went outside to break it up, Rascal was standing there with his right paw firmly imbedded in the poor guys face.

Logan
04-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty

I'll tell her you said that, Niina! Poor girl, she may be little, but she makes herself known when that bad boy is around!!!

Oh Gini!!! Did you have to get his claws out of the cat's face?? Ouch!!!! :eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty

:) I'm going to have to start reading these at home so Peanut can see this. Tubby has been more feisty lately. I thought at first it was because it was spring, now I'm not sure. The problem is that he seems to be picking on poor little Peanut more than usual. Or maybe it's just that she's not fighting back. For awhile there, before Tubby went to the vet and I'm sure he wasn't feeling all that well, Peanut seemed like she was taking over the dominant position in the house. Tubby ended up with a few scars on his head from her so I know she knows how to fight back. But lately if he comes up to her, she'll just slink away to a good hiding spot. Sometimes he follows her and really picks a fight and sometimes he just lets her go. Is it because he's feeling better and fighting harder so she doesn't have a chance? Or it just occurred to me last night that maybe she's not feeling well and would rather run than fight. It seems like he just wants to play - not that he's actually being mean to her, but I just don't like it and am at a loss as to what to do. So maybe if she saw how the other smaller females stand up to the bigger males, her confidence would be boosted and she'd fight back a little. :confused:

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2002, 09:56 PM
I find nail pieces all over my place. The funniest place was in an aquarium of my old roommates. I only had Storm and Pepper back then and Pepper is declawed in the front so we knew it had to be from Storm. I guess he decided to try his luck at fishing.:D

AmberLee
04-28-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
... so we knew it had to be from Storm. I guess he decided to try his luck at fishing...

Hmm, you seem to be completely ignoring the possibility of self-defense. Are you sure none of the fish were piranahas?

Poor Stormy! :rolleyes: ;) :eek: