PDA

View Full Version : Friend's Dog

bark_some
10-28-2005, 05:43 PM
My friend's dog is a 2 year old Border Collie/ Mastiff it is the size of a mastiff and has the body of a mastiff, but the markings and hair of a border collie. Anway, he skinned his whole foot. Should have I put this in Dog health? Sorry if I should have :( But anyways, the vet gave him some ointment to put on the dog. It is not working and the dog snaps and growls when he puts it on, the dog cannot walk on the foot or else he will hurt it. He is forced to lie down all day, all night. It is so hard for my friend (Jim) to keep an active dog like him down, esspecialy since he has border collie. He is thinking of getting the leg removed, I am not sure if that is a good idea, what do you think?

CagneyDog
10-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Uh no, I dont think there is a need for that :eek:

bark_some
10-28-2005, 05:50 PM
EXACTLY what I thought. I told him that, but it sooo very hard for him to keep such an active dog down! Is there anything he can do to let the dog do his regular stuff (Like swimming, playing, agility, flyball etc.)?

caseysmom
10-28-2005, 05:52 PM
He wants to remove the leg because the dog skinned hit foot :eek:

bark_some
10-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Yep. CRAZY HUH?

k9krazee
10-28-2005, 05:53 PM
I'd say clean it, wrap it and get antibiotics....not amputate it :eek: Once it heals the dog should be fine...

finn's mom
10-28-2005, 05:57 PM
The dog should be taken to the vet. If he has to be crated to be kept calm, then that's what should be done.

Jessika
10-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Wow, chopping off an entire leg just because he skinned his foot? Talk about extreme! Well your friend would be wasting his money and I'm sure the vet would laugh at him if he brought up that idea lol

Anyway the dog snaps and growls while putting on ointment because it HURTS him! Tel your friend he just has to be consistant with putting on the medication. Is he wrapping the paw up after applying ointment with anything like gauze?? If not, he should. And I agree with the crating idea.

caseysmom
10-28-2005, 06:06 PM
what would Jim do with the wound from amputation?

Jessika
10-28-2005, 06:14 PM
what would Jim do with the wound from amputation?

Cut off the shoulder? lol

areias
10-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Wow...definately do not cut off his leg. That's like you cutting your finger and amputating your arm.

Is it his pads that he skinned? If the dog is that crazy, ask the vet about some kind of tranquilizer or something. Make sure he has someone to hold the dog while putting on the stuff, if he's going to bite. And definately wrap it. It heals on its own, usually. I've had it happen twice, on all four feet...and mine was a 2 year old GSD.

Still in shock...please don't amputate it's leg..