PDA

View Full Version : Cat urine smell? :(

DeeDeeD
10-27-2005, 09:41 PM
My cat decided one day to take a pee in the laundry basket full of clothes and now I can't get the smell out. Any suggestions? :confused:

Barbara
10-28-2005, 07:23 AM
Filou has done that before and of course it needs lots and lots of work.
First - washing everything that has been in the laundry basket (and I'm sure you've done that).
Second: cleaning the basket itself, thoroughly and with the help of cleaning stuff. I think in the US there is some stuff that's called Nature's Miracle or so that seems to work really well.
Third: make sure there is no cat pee left over behind it or outside or under it. A black light can help to detect all traces of the smelly stuff.

If after all that it still smells I would suspect the basket has been used again :( Worst case could mean a new basket.

If it happens more than one time (Filou did it when my mom's dog was here) the kitty should be checked- could be an infection.

catmandu
10-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Thats a very good question.I find that pre soaking will get rid of the smell,if you put the liquid detergent right on the stained area.
Angels,did a bit of spraying when he was in the Basement,and that seemed to do the trick.

catnapper
10-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Gosh, Allen does that on a daily basis. I swear by All Free and Clear laundry soap and a small load of laudry. I only ever have a problem with it still smelling after washing it if I put too much in the washer. Small loads is the key.

Medusa
10-28-2005, 08:46 AM
I just found a solution called Urine Off and it really takes the smell out. When Puddy was first getting her kidney infection, she couldn't make it downstairs to the litter boxes and she peed on the carpet. (I soon brought a litter box upstairs for her.) But she did a good job and it really smelled, no matter how much I scrubbed. You saturate the urinated area w/Urine Off and let it air dry. it can be used on hard surfaces as well as carpeting and upholstery. It really did the trick. Gonna go buy a bunch more w/7 cats in the house, I need it, esp. w/the pee king Specs.

Blessings,
Mary

DeeDeeD
10-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions...I will try them...I washed it one already with lots of soap and baking soda but it didn't work. Wish me luck! lol

AmberLee
10-29-2005, 01:21 AM
I use a bit of "Nature's Miracle" in the wash load, pre-soak for at least 15 minutes and it helps immensely. Good luck.