PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of heat...

smokey the elder
10-27-2005, 02:52 PM
..what kind of heat do you use (if you need it)? Gas, electric, wood, oil?

I have a System 2000 oil burner, hot water heat with REAL radiators! So toasty. I'm looking for an oil company that supplies bio-fuel, which can be burned like #2 fuel oil.

chocolatepuppy
10-27-2005, 02:54 PM
natural gas

Samantha Puppy
10-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Gas here too.

CathyBogart
10-27-2005, 02:55 PM
If I need it, I use wood. :) Usually though, the reptile heat bulbs/pads are enough.

Jessika
10-27-2005, 02:57 PM
We have an electric baseboard heater, our "house" is very very very very tiny so that's all we need. And besides our landlord pays all utilities :)

anna_66
10-27-2005, 03:03 PM
We have electric baseboard heaters.

buckner
10-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Electric. :)

JenBKR
10-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Gas. We are buying an electric fireplace this weekend though, since gas prices are going through the roof :(

Glacier
10-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Wood. We have new woodstove for this winter and 10 cords of wood stacked up in the yard.

We also have a propane furnance for back up, but we rarely use it. We had electric baseboard heaters too, but we disconnected all of them. Way too expensive to even consider using them.

lv4dogs
10-27-2005, 03:53 PM
My furnace runs off of fuel oil &/or Kerosene. I can even mix the 2 together.
Fuel oil gums up below 30F so I usually just have Kerosene, it's a little more expensive but it's cheaper than replacing my furnace when the oil gums up & ruins it.
It's not that bad either, it costs me about $400-500 to heat all year long, even last year when we had a LOT of below zero days.

RICHARD
10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Thermodynamic law three......

A cat! :D

Logan
10-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Our downstairs unit runs off of natural gas in the winter........it is a "gas pac", electric in the summer and gas in the winter. The upstairs unit is a heat pump, which is totally electric. We also have a wood burning stove as well as a kerosene heater. As long as my birds are warm enough, the rest of us will be fine, I'm sure. I'm trying to add layers and prep everyone to dress warmly because I do NOT want those units running constantly!

Logan

caseysmom
10-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I have no idea...I turn the switch to on and hot air comes out the vents :D

Lady's Human
10-27-2005, 04:23 PM
We have oil (the front half of the house) propane (the back half) and three fireplaces. Probably next year we're ditching the propane and oil furnaces and installing a wood pellet burning furnace. (One heck of a lot cheaper than burning dead dinosaurs)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-27-2005, 04:36 PM
We have natural gas at home and at work. My parents have an oil burning furnace which heats hot water which runs through baseboard heat. They finally - after 30 years - had to install a new furnace at the end of last year. I haven't heard any complaints or requests to visit us yet, so I'm assuming the new furnace is working. ;)

In the motorhome we have a diesel burner which heats the water, then the hot water is run through a radiator type thing which has a little fan behind it to blow the air, which was heated by the water, out into the rooms. We also have electrically heated tile floors and I absolutley LOVE them!!! If I was ever going to redo our floors in the house and put tile in, I would definitely add the heated part to them. It is soooo neat to be able to walk around on an all tile floor with no slippers. We don't have to freeze our tootsies when we get out of bed in the middle of the night - but don't walk too near the edges, or near the door because you'll realize just how cold that floor would be if it wasn't heated! :eek:

caseysmom
10-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Heated tile in your motor home....oh how you toy with me :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Also, since we're speaking of heat.....just this afternoon the heat here at work wouldn't go off! Before I went to lunch I thought it was getting kind of warm, by the time I got back I knew it was way too warm so I went to look, sure enough, it was 78 degrees in here! Obviously something isn't working right so I turn the heat off totally at the thermostat. Furnace keeps running and it gets up to 80 degrees! By then I can't stand it anymore so I turned the switch on the furnace itself off. Whew, it's finally down to 74. I've now changed the batteries in the thermostat and by golly I think I fixed it! At least I can breath now - whew! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Heated tile in your motor home....oh how you toy with me :D

:D :D
Isn't it something? We live in a pretty nice house, but in someways the motorhome has it beat by a long shot. ;) :D

caseysmom
10-27-2005, 04:49 PM
I am sure I have mentioned before how getting a motorhome would be my dream come true.... Hubby is not a camping guy though, when I take the kids out tent camping he doesn't go...although the motorhome may be easier for me it is a big commitment and with our cc&r's I couldn't keep it at home.

I really need to rent one sometime though.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread....but....

Yes, the motorhome is a HUGE commitment. It's great when everything is working right, but when something goes wrong (did somebody say hydraulic leak?) it can be a real nightmare. I would definitely recommend renting one before buying, especially if hubby isn't into it. It's definitely way different than tent camping. I myself would not do tent camping, but I love camping in the motorhome. But they can be huge money pits if you don't know what you're doing, so rent to make sure it's for you before buying then finding out hubby can't take it and you lose a ton of money having to sell it right away.

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled topic. ;)

caseysmom
10-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info..

Back to the heat...I believe mine must be gas because the heater is in the attic but it does have a pilot light. I know the a/c is electric and it costs an arm and a leg to run and now they say the heat is going to triple in price.

My daughter turned the heater on yesterday and I told her to go get some clothes on...she has a tank top and shorts and she is turning the heater on :rolleyes:

I usually don't have to run anything in october, its in the upper 60's during the day.

smokey the elder
10-28-2005, 12:14 PM
I want to get radiant heat when I remodel the kitchen. I'm sure I would find a dozen cats in there every morning if I got that! :D

BitsyNaceyDog
10-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Our heat is electric. We rarely need to run it, but on some night's in the winter we will turn it on. I don't always feel the need for it, but I don't want the animals too chilly so I'll turn it on.

When I lived in New York we has a wood burning stove and I miss it so much. Even if I lived in the north now I wouldn't have one though, I'd worry about the cats too much.

ChrisH
10-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Mine is gas, radiators downstairs and one in the bathroom, no heat in the bedrooms. Oh, and I also have a gas fire in the living room, which I rarely use.

Vette
10-28-2005, 06:42 PM
We have a eletric pellet stove and a weird fire place thingy and a wood stove. the wood stove we never use unless it gets really cold.