PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

IRescue452
10-27-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm thinking about trading Clarence with my local fish store for a female betta. Three tanks is getting to be a bit much for me to take care of right now and Clarence can't be put in with the others. The problem is that he's old and I think he has cancer. I don't know if I should bring him in or wait for a bit. I know the local fish store will take him in and he'd probably find a home because he's very flashy. How would you handle this problem?

lv4dogs
10-27-2005, 12:59 PM
If you trade him in wouldn't you still have 3 tanks to clean? Or did I take that the wrong way and you're not getting one in return?

jackie
10-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Are all your tanks bettas? If you exchange him for a female betta, you are not lessening the load, three tanks will still be in use.

IRescue452
10-27-2005, 09:59 PM
No, I have a tank for my goldfish of four years and one with two female bettas.

Jessika
10-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Bettas can live in conjunction with other community fish so long as they aren't aggressive or fin-nippers. I believe that male bettas CAN be in a tank with goldfish... why not just move him to another tank?

IRescue452
10-28-2005, 09:36 AM
I'd love to but he's pretty aggressive. They have different water preferences too, the goldfish is in colder, filtered water with lots of water agitation. I couldn't take away the filter as the ammonia and nitrate levels would build up and I won't use chlor-out in the goldfish tank because when I did use it the goldfish got real sickly. I don't think that a male betta can live with females, it'd be too stressful on the fish.

Jessika
10-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Yeah you can't put the male with the females because it would stress them out and the females might actually die if he tries mating with them and "beats them up" too much.

Goldfish are partial to colder waters but can survive in warmer waters as well. And of course male bettas are aggressive but only toward other aggressive fish. My manager while I was at PetCo had a huge tank full of a wide hodgepodge of fish -- "sharks", one male betta, goldfish, mollies, tetras, plecostomus (did I even spell that right) and all sorts of other stuff and they all lived in conjunction of one another. Now that isn't smart of course but it was just odd that it worked out :)