PDA

View Full Version : When Do You Turn on Your Heat??

Jessika
10-27-2005, 12:39 PM
It's at the perfect temperature for me now that its cold enough I don't need the AC anymore but warm enough that I don't really need to turn on the heater. Well its almost 1pm and its only 50 degrees fahrenheit outside... my hands are like ice (but that happens a lot, regardless LOL). I'm comfortable sleeping at night with just two blankets (I don't like getting hot when I sleep and sweating, ugh!!).

So my lame question would be -- when do you turn on your heat?? I don't want to waste electricity if I don't need to! :)

lv4dogs
10-27-2005, 12:41 PM
My heat has been on for about 2 weeks now. lol It's been between 35-45 here in the last 2 weeks.
I keep it on about 60 during the day, then turn it up to 65-70 while I'm awake at home, then back down to about 60 at night.

ramanth
10-27-2005, 12:58 PM
In the past my apartment has been quite cool. I usually keep it between 50 and 60 degrees. But since I have geckos now, they like it a bit warmer, so my electric bill will be a bit higher this winter.

The last time I used my AC was in September. I turned on my heater late September/early October. :)

Samantha Puppy
10-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I turn it on when it gets cold.

Seriously though - we had it on for a night earlier this month and then turned it off because it warmed up. If it gets below 50 at night, I'll turn it on low (around 66-68). This time of year, our temperatures are never steady so we've had the heat on and the AC on with days of each other.

Kfamr
10-27-2005, 01:00 PM
We rarely turn our heat on. Maybe once or twice in mid-December, but that's all.

Logan
10-27-2005, 01:13 PM
I have had mine on for the last couple of days, set low, but just to knock the chill off of the house. I worry about the birds especially, so I want the temperature to at least be around 65 degrees in the house.

Logan

finn's mom
10-27-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't think my parents have used theirs, yet. Until I have my own place again, i won't have much say in it. ;) But, for the most part, I use it when I'm cold. If I'm cold one day, and, not the next, I'll just turn it back off. I do like to have it chilly inside sometimes, though, and, I'll just wear slipper boots and sweats. :) Finn doesn't mind it. But, if I had birds like Logan and others, I'd be more concerned about that.

catnapper
10-27-2005, 01:48 PM
I finally broke down and turned the heat on the other day -- it was 32 degrees outside. I turned it to 60 degrees. Most likely will not get up past 63-65 all winter. I like a cool room. I get hot waaaaayyy too easily. Right now I am actually warm with 60 degrees because I have on a wool/cashmere sweater.

JenBKR
10-27-2005, 02:00 PM
I turned ours on a few days ago, it has been about 35-40 degrees out. With the price of natural gas going up so high :( it's going to stay at around 60 degrees though. We are going to buy an electric fireplace this weekend though, so the furnace might be set at even lower. I am NOT looking forward to gas bills this winter!

Jessika
10-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Lucky for me, our landlord pays all utilities so I don't have to worry about our electric bill :)

Thanks guys! Its almost 60 out now, it seems to really heat up here between 1 and 2 pm but its just at night it gets cold but its not bad if you have two covers haha

CathyBogart
10-27-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't. Yay for slippers and fuzzy socks and blankets and fireplaces! I save so much money on electricity during the winter!

Plus, my reptiles' heat lamps keep it warm enough here that it's pretty comfy.

smokey the elder
10-27-2005, 02:51 PM
When I can't layer enough cats on me to keep warm.. :p

Actually, if my hands get cold doing cross stitch, it's time to turn the heat up. I turn it down at night. I have my thermostats set on automatic so when it gets cold, on goes the furnace.

chocolatepuppy
10-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Mine's been on for a couple weeks now. It's 46F right now, outside. We keep it set in the mid 60's, we don't want a real hot house.

anna_66
10-27-2005, 03:08 PM
We turned ours on sometime this month when it started dipping down into the lower 40's at night.
With electric heat it really doesn't matter when we turn it on (as you know since you have electric too), because we can always turn it back off if it gets hot:)

Glacier
10-27-2005, 03:45 PM
We start using the woodstove at night in early September. Its on 24-7 from about the first of October til the end of April.