PDA

View Full Version : Another addition coming

lv4dogs
10-27-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm getting a hamster tomorrow. Half Syrian, half teddy bear.

My niece got a hamster a little over a month ago & little did they know he was a she & she was pregnant!!! So about 4.5 weeks ago 11 babies were born.

I really wasn't going to add anymore fur kids to my family, but it's my niece & what's one more? lol

This is my first "big" hamster in a while. I've been sticking to rats then dwarf hamsters. I used to raise teddy bear hamsters & gerbils as a child & I got bit so much I'm still scared of them. :eek: lol Hopefully this cutie will make me overcome my fears. ;)

I go tomorrow to pick her (or him) out. Pictures coming sometime next week!

Does anyone know if & what sex of hamster is known to be sweeter?

petslover
10-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Congrats on your new addition. Can't wait to see pictures!

wolfsoul
10-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Syrian and teddy bears are the same thing lol. ;) Congrats on the new addition -- I've always found females to be sweeter, but I am not sure if there really is a difference, that's just my personal experience.

lv4dogs
10-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Syrian and teddy bears are the same thing lol. ;) Congrats on the new addition -- I've always found females to be sweeter, but I am not sure if there really is a difference, that's just my personal experience.

I know they are the same species but aren't they a different breed or would it be considered a different variety of the breed? (like dogs, you have different breeds but they are all the same species). Which is what would make the coat have different colorations, lengths & textures.

CathyBogart
10-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Psst...teddy bear is just another word for syrian. ;) Black bears, teddy bears, panda bears, polar bears...all syrians given fancy names so pet stores can charge more for them.

Congrats though, I can't wait for pictures! Hazel says hello.

crazy_caique
10-27-2005, 02:41 PM
have you picked out any names for him/her? :)

lv4dogs
10-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Psst...teddy bear is just another word for syrian. ;) Black bears, teddy bears, panda bears, polar bears...all syrians given fancy names so pet stores can charge more for them.

Congrats though, I can't wait for pictures! Hazel says hello.

Well ya learn something new everyday. I always thought that since their coats (color, length, texture etc..) were different that they were different too.

And no I have no names picked out for her yet. (It will probably be a girl), I'll post another thread for name suggestions.

CathyBogart
10-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Be more creative than I was, Hazel is named after her food! :)

lv4dogs
10-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Be more creative than I was, Hazel is named after her food! :)

See my new post. ;)