PDA

View Full Version : East Coast PT'ers & others, would you be interested in...

lv4dogs
10-26-2005, 09:52 AM
A weekend PT camping trip?

I thought of the idea while I was thinking about when I go to one of the meetings in Ohio in 2006. I figure if I go, since I live about 7 hours away I'd like to make a weekend out of it (about a 4-6 day weekend, but you's don't need to stay that long, just the weekend is fine). Since I love camping I figured I'd probably just camp somewhere instead of getting a hotel. Then I thought of how neat it would be for us to have a weekend PT camping meeting! I figure there are already some folks who travel to get to the meetings and often stay a couple/few days. And I'm sure there are some campers in that group too.

I figure we could also set aside one of the days for a day meeting at the dog park, for those that can't/don't want to camp or can only come for a day. This way the dogs have a place to romp too!

I was talking to Kay about it and if there are enough pt'ers who are interested she's going to help me (or I'm going to help her, she knows more about Ohio than I do ;) ).

I know it is early, but I wanted to get a rough idea. Besides, if it is something that a lot of people are interested in and especially if we wanted to do it earlier in the year or on a holiday (last years meeting was on Memorial Day) we would need to reserve the sites early!

I don't know for sure yet how things will work (meals, dates, etc...) It all depends on who & how many people are interested.

Karen
10-26-2005, 10:50 AM
We usually drive out for the Memorial Day weekend Sunday gathering. Not interested in camping, but I'd love there to be a lot of Pet Talkers at the Memoprial Day weekend gathering as that's when we can be there and meet everyone!

jennifert9
10-26-2005, 10:54 AM
I love camping also and would love to try and be there...Unfortunately Duncan isn't much of a camper since the canvas tent does absolutely nothing to keep him from chasing everything!!
So he would not be able to come unless we could rent a camp or something with walls and doors!! ;)

lv4dogs
10-26-2005, 12:05 PM
I love camping also and would love to try and be there...Unfortunately Duncan isn't much of a camper since the canvas tent does absolutely nothing to keep him from chasing everything!!
So he would not be able to come unless we could rent a camp or something with walls and doors!! ;)

Does he have a crate? Or could you get one & get him used to one by then?
Since this will probably be Kaige's first camping trip (if it's early in the year) thats what I'll be keeping him in just in case.
If not, most campsites have cabins for rent too!

Or if you can't bring him anyways that ok too (although we'd really like to meet him ;) ). I think Kaige will be the only dog I'm bringing. Nanook is too old for such a trip so he's out for sure. Raustyk *can* *sometimes* be a little dog aggressive so out of respect for others I won't bring her. Although I'd love to in hopes to get her more used to other dogs.

lv4dogs
10-26-2005, 12:07 PM
We usually drive out for the Memorial Day weekend Sunday gathering. Not interested in camping, but I'd love there to be a lot of Pet Talkers at the Memoprial Day weekend gathering as that's when we can be there and meet everyone!

I'm hoping to do this for the Memorial Day weekend meeting as thats the biggest meeting, the one I really want to go to. I just wasn't sure if it was going to be on Memorial day again this year or not.

Cinder & Smoke
10-26-2005, 02:55 PM
I just wasn't sure if it was going to be
on Memorial day again this year.

Well ... we haven't really "Officially" decided yet ...
but in years past the Memorial Day (Sunday) Gathurin at Findlay
has always been the Most Attended of all the Gathurins held at Findlay.

The Holiday is on Monday - giving most folks a THREE-day weekend counting
Friday, Saturday and Sunday - May 27, 28, and 29th.
This allows the Long-Haul Travelers to drive on Saturday and Monday,
and have all day Sunday to Meet, Greet & Party in the Park!

Another "possibility" for a Camping Trip + Dog Party would be the
Fourth of July weekend. This year (2006) the "Fourth" is on a TUESDAY -
so some companies will offer employees a FOUR-day weekend -
Saturday through Tuesday - July 1, 2, 3, & 4th.

Findlay, Ohio, has LOTS of motels;
and there are several CAMPsites, RV Parks, and State Parks within easy
driving distance of the Dog Park.

One thing to *remember* about Tent Camping ...
this is OHIO - Land of "Strange" Weather!

It's not unheard of to have :eek: SNOW falling on Memorial Day!

We're (usually) past the Snow Season by the Fourth of July. :p

slleipnir
10-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I want to go...but I hear that planes don't fly dogs that time of year...:(

lv4dogs
10-27-2005, 11:40 AM
I want to go...but I hear that planes don't fly dogs that time of year...:(

I've never heard of that but then again I don't fly either. lol

I don't know where in Canada you live, but if you live close enough you can drive to NY to meet me & we can drive the rest of the way together. :p

lv4dogs
10-27-2005, 11:43 AM
One thing to *remember* about Tent Camping ...
this is OHIO - Land of "Strange" Weather!

It's not unheard of to have :eek: SNOW falling on Memorial Day!

We're (usually) past the Snow Season by the Fourth of July. :p

And I thought NY had strange weather. :eek: lol
It sometimes gets cold here Memorial day but I don't ever remember it still snowing.

It snows there till July??? You have got to be kidding me? It has to at least stop by June at the latest I'd think.

k9krazee
10-27-2005, 02:43 PM
I would love to come! I was thinking about going to the Memorial day meeting already and camping would be cool so I didn't have to drive back in the dark! I LOVE camping, don't know how Jack would take to it though...

lv4dogs
10-28-2005, 12:56 PM
I would love to come! I was thinking about going to the Memorial day meeting already and camping would be cool so I didn't have to drive back in the dark! I LOVE camping, don't know how Jack would take to it though...

Yeah camp with us!!! Even if we just get a few of us together it'll still be fun!

Do you have a crate for Jack? I'm bringing Kaige's crate because this will probably his first time tenting it. lol I don't know how he'll react either but he has to get used to it. I camp a LOT!!!!!

Jessika
10-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Oh my gosh I WOULD LOVE to do something like that but unfortunately I live in the midwest so that would be a little hard hehe. But ahhh how fun does that sound!! I LOVE camping, Jamie LOVES swimming and it would be so cool meeting everyone and their pups!!

Kfamr
10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
This camp site sounds pretty nice:
http://www.koa.com/where/oh/35157
It's only $26.00 - 32.00 per 2 person tent. There's no extra fee for pets. It's about 50 minutes from Findlay.

lv4dogs
10-28-2005, 02:01 PM
This camp site sounds pretty nice:
http://www.koa.com/where/oh/35157
It's only $26.00 - 32.00 per 2 person tent. There's no extra fee for pets. It's about 50 minutes from Findlay.

That does sound pretty nice! 50 minutes isn't too bad of a drive. We can always car-pool too if need be.

I have AAA and I *think* they offer discounts at KOA campgrounds. I'll have to check.

The price isn't too bad either. But more campgrounds charge per site not person. Most campgrounds allow at least 2 tents pet site. IF money is an issue for some people we may be able to find a site like that???

15 minutes from the zoo!!! Wow, I'll need to find a dog sitter for a day!

lv4dogs
10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
I can't find a webpage for some of them yet, but here's some more:
Sometimes private campgrounds can be really nice, sometimes not. Maybe we can have someone that lives there do a drive by for us?

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&hs=vVt&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=campgrounds&near=Findlay,+OH&sa=X&oi=locald&radius=0.0&latlng=41044167,-83650000,4595602321906316676

http://www.pleasantviewcampground.com/

http://www.woodalls.com/a/03260_HeritageSpringsCG.html

lv4dogs
10-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I do prefer a campground with a pond, lake or stream so the doggies can swim if they want to!

.sarah
10-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Oh man that sounds like so much fun! Too bad I live in Florida! haha ... when you said East Coast I was like hmmm ... and then I find out it's OHIO! Waaaay too far!

But this gave me a great idea to do this with friends! Since all of my best friends are dog-crazy this'd be sooo much fun! There's one of those camp sites not too far from where I live. YAY!

Jessika
10-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I feel so left out :(

Well Ohio isn't THAT far away from me, only three states... LOL

.sarah
10-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Haha so do I ... IF I could go I would, but it'd be too expensive to drive/fly.

Kfamr
10-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Too bad I live in Florida!

I live in Florida as well, Palm Harbor to be exact. We're trying to get a few people together on November 5th - Slleipnir is flying down from Canada to visit and stay at my house - PM me if you're interested. :)

We try to make it to atleast 2, if not 1, of the Ohio meetings a year.

.sarah
10-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Aww man Palm Harbor is still far. I actually live really close to Georgia. Plus I already have plans for that weekend ;)

But thanks for the invite!

areias
10-31-2005, 04:00 AM
:eek: Wow you should of posted this sooner about FL...I live in Tampa, not terribly too far of a drive. I have to work on the 5th though. :( I definately would have come.

lv4dogs
10-31-2005, 10:13 AM
I feel so left out :(

Well Ohio isn't THAT far away from me, only three states... LOL

I live 2 states away and I'm still going. ;) ;)

Kfamr
10-31-2005, 01:17 PM
:eek: Wow you should of posted this sooner about FL...I live in Tampa, not terribly too far of a drive. I have to work on the 5th though. :( I definately would have come.

It really was a spur of the moment/last minute planning thing. It wasn't really something big we had planned.

Pick a date and i'm sure some of us would be able to get together! I will be in Utah Nov. 11th-25th, but you guys are welcome over our house anytime. :)

slleipnir
11-20-2005, 11:09 PM
It's funny that one or 2 states is too far...look how far I traveled!! lol No one will ever go that far just to see me, that's for sure. Maybe I should move some place better :p

I also hope to make it to one ohio meeting..which ever Kay and Amy are going to :o :p

.sarah
11-20-2005, 11:53 PM
It's funny that one or 2 states is too far...look how far I traveled!! lol No one will ever go that far just to see me, that's for sure. Maybe I should move some place better :p

I also hope to make it to one ohio meeting..which ever Kay and Amy are going to :o :p
I just can't afford it :( If I could, I'd be all over the map too :p

slleipnir
11-21-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't have a lot of money myself :( I would travel a lot too if I could

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 11:54 AM

I'd visit ya in a heeartbeat if I had more money and could take off more time from work.

What part of Canada are you in? Any where within a couple hours or so of Niagara Falls? I'll be up there a couple times this Spring/summer/fall.

slleipnir
11-22-2005, 07:50 PM
No, unfortunatly I don't live near Toronto :( I live away from like everyone (which is why people don't come here lol!)

king2005
12-18-2005, 09:14 AM
I'd visit ya in a heeartbeat if I had more money and could take off more time from work.

What part of Canada are you in? Any where within a couple hours or so of Niagara Falls? I'll be up there a couple times this Spring/summer/fall.

I'm in Mississauga (20 mins from Toronto)! Come see me :) I'm dogless, but I do have other cool pets :)

king2005
12-18-2005, 09:15 AM

I travelled 2000km & met with you for a day last summer :)
Mind you it was a free flight for me, cause I was visiting my dad & grandma, but I still met with you & nearly barfed in your truck hahaha :p

lv4dogs
12-19-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm in Mississauga (20 mins from Toronto)! Come see me :) I'm dogless, but I do have other cool pets :)

Awesome! I will do that... as long as you don't mind me having a dog or two with me. lol They go camping with me.

I'll let you know in the spring or so when I will be up there. Can you believe I've been by the Falls a million times & only live a couple hours away & have neer been. lol

king2005
12-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Awesome! I will do that... as long as you don't mind me having a dog or two with me. lol They go camping with me.

I'll let you know in the spring or so when I will be up there. Can you believe I've been by the Falls a million times & only live a couple hours away & have neer been. lol

I don't mind the dogs being here for the day, but if we take off to tour, they need to be crated or tied up in the house. Only because the basement door has to be open & Axle is down there & if one of your pups tries to take a drink, or a dip they could get hurt REALLY bad. Axle is a 20 Snapping Turtle. Hes super friendly outside of the water, but in the water hes a typical snapper, anything near the water = food.

I have a water dish your dogs can use here & a chain so they can go outside in the backyard to potty :) Just bring a few toys & treats, as the ones I have mean too much to me.

I've only lived here since sept. so I've never been to the Falls, CN tower, or Toronto Zoo. If you come down & can crate, tie or keep the dogs elsewhere I'd LOVE to spend a couple days at the Toronto Zoo (it takes days to tour the place I've been told), the guys wont go to that zoo with me because they don't want to spend THAT much time there :( I think its $20.00cdn/day to go to the zoo :)

lv4dogs
12-20-2005, 10:27 AM
I don't mind the dogs being here for the day, but if we take off to tour, they need to be crated or tied up in the house. Only because the basement door has to be open & Axle is down there & if one of your pups tries to take a drink, or a dip they could get hurt REALLY bad. Axle is a 20 Snapping Turtle. Hes super friendly outside of the water, but in the water hes a typical snapper, anything near the water = food.

I have a water dish your dogs can use here & a chain so they can go outside in the backyard to potty :) Just bring a few toys & treats, as the ones I have mean too much to me.

I've only lived here since sept. so I've never been to the Falls, CN tower, or Toronto Zoo. If you come down & can crate, tie or keep the dogs elsewhere I'd LOVE to spend a couple days at the Toronto Zoo (it takes days to tour the place I've been told), the guys wont go to that zoo with me because they don't want to spend THAT much time there :( I think its $20.00cdn/day to go to the zoo :)

Wow, I wasn't expecting you to offer them a place to stay for the day. That would be awesome as most campgrounds & hotels do not allow dogs to stay there unsupervised, even in crates. And I don't travel that much without my dogs. That is so kind of you, I'm just blown away. Thanks for the offer. If I do have to take you up on the offer, don't worry I'll bring crates and of course they will have their food & water dishes & everythign else they need.

I'd love to spend a couple days at the zoo with you and of course I have to visit the falls. lol
Do you know of any decent pet friendly campgrounds or hotels nearby? Or actually we can discuss this when spring nears. But yes I'm excitied about it allready.

king2005
12-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Lets start our own thread, it'll still be under meetings.

lv4dogs
12-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Lets start our own thread, it'll still be under meetings.

Thats a great idea. Maybe a few other PT'ers will join in on it. Do you want to start it or should I? lol

king2005
12-20-2005, 11:06 AM
already made it :)

LuvGold00
12-31-2005, 01:46 AM
Let me know if you plan an "East Coast" meeting and I'll come! Bring one or two of the Goldens! :) :)

Cookiebaker
12-31-2005, 08:30 AM
Let me know if you plan an "East Coast" meeting and I'll come! Bring one or two of the Goldens! :) :)

And maybe I'll bring one or two labs, too! ;)

lv4dogs
01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure about having a meeting for us more eastern/northerners. With all the ones held in Ohio it seems as if not many people are intereested in any more in this area.

I am going to at least one of the Ohio meetings & I am also going to meet up with king2005 in Canada.

Depending on how many more replies I get to this thread between now & when the weather starts to get nicer I may hold a small one somewhere in this area.

I'll be sure to post it if I do.

If I were to have a get-together near me we'd have to have it at a regular park. Pets are more than welcome at almost all of the parks near me it's just that there is not an all dog park at all anywhere near me. :(