PDA

View Full Version : Would your dog protect you?

wolfie
10-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Do you think your dog would protect you if someone came into your home, or came up to you?

I'd like to think that Daphne would. If 2 people in our home mock fight then Daphne will get upset and bark.

Logan
10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Honey bristles a little bit, especially when it is an unknown male, but the rest of them would lick an intruder to death! LOL!!!! :o

Had a guy from the cable company in my house this morning to install a piece of equipment and all 4 of them stood at the gate like he was supposed to come over and pet them! LOL!!

wolfie
10-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Had a guy from the cable company in my house this morning to install a piece of equipment and all 4 of them stood at the gate like he was supposed to come over and pet them! LOL!!

Aww, and did he pet them? :D

wolfsoul
10-26-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't encourage any growling or barking if someone comes over while I am around --- unfortunatly Visa is a bit shy, so she likes to growl and bark at strangers that come onto the property. I put her in a downstay and she stops right away. She is improving so much and becoming alot more social. The only time I want her to growl and bark is if nobody is home with her or if I'm in trouble. And if I was in trouble (say, someone was attacking me) she would definatly protect me.

boxer_babe
10-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Yes. I'm sure. My father was once playing around with me, you know, like pushing me around, and since it was an offleash dog park, my dogs were just trailing behind, and when Deiz saw, he came running up and started trying to bite my fathers arm!

Lobodeb
10-26-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't think Maggy would. When my hubby and I are rough housing, I'll cry for Maggy to help me and she'll just go and lick my husband. :rolleyes:

Even if she did try, who would be afraid of a little 10 lb. dog? I didn't get her for protection. ;)

PJ's Mom
10-26-2005, 10:07 AM
When my kids beat up on me (playing, of course) Peej will bite me, not them and Bailey will wag and grab the closest toy. :rolleyes:

:D

pitc9
10-26-2005, 10:12 AM
100% YES Buddy would!! Sierra... eh... Maybe :o ;)
Buddy has already proven himself to me!!

pnance
10-26-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm fairly sure Savannah and Nikka would, Bear would probably beg for food and Hunter would run and hide....... ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
My Tobey would if he thought I was under threat. May be little but he's feisty!

lv4dogs
10-26-2005, 10:28 AM
None of my dogs would protect me if someone just came into my home or what not but if there was actual danger involved then they may. Raustyk & Kaige do bark when someone comes to the door. I like it like that. Sure I want them to be friendly but I also want some protection too. I don't let them bark at neighbors or the like, but when someones on my property, sure.

Nanook, no way, he's the friendlist thing in earth. lol

Raustyk, She probably would, but I don't know for sure. She sure is protective but I was in an abusive relationship a few years ago and she never did a thing. I don't know if it was because he was her master too or what?
I do know that Raustyk will not let anyone in my house if I am not there unless she knows them really well (my mom, a couple friends, thats about it). My brother who she knows but not REAL well couldn't get into my house one day when I wasnt' there.

Kaige, I think he would. He's still a pup but I think if he had to he would.

luvofallhorses
10-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Of course they would! :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Blaze would protect me with his life, and he has before! He may be small, but he thinks he's big and furocious! (sp?):rolleyes: :D I just love my boy!!!:D;)

Jessika
10-26-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure.. Charlie is a scaredy cat and Jamie is just WAY too friendly. I've never been in that situation to know!!

When someone new comes over, Jamie literally attacks them (but with kisses hehe) and Charlie will bark and run away to his "safe spot". HOWEVER while Jamie and I were out of town and my fiancée was at work and couldn't make it home on his lunch break to let Charlie outside like he normally does, he called his friend to stop by and let him out. Well apparently Charlie BIT HIM!! :o Not hard, and not out of aggression (he said it didn't even hurt or bother him at all), but out of fear. But then I think, Charlie was home alone all by himself for almost 12 hours, dad was gone, Jamie was gone, and I was gone. He has NEVER been by himself before for that long, and then some stranger who he has NEVER met or seen before in his life just comes into our house, the poor guy probably freaked out!! Because when I'm around he NEVER acts like that. What do you think??

So I think maybe, MAYBE if I Were in a situation where someone broke in or was trying to rob or attack me and Charlie sensed my fear, he MIGHT try to protect me. But until I am in a situation like that I really don't know. :(

senorita02
10-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Well i know for sure Face would protect me 100% he is very protective sometimes overprotecive, if i get a friendly spank from my boyfriend he goes ballistic, so we are very careful not to man handle each other in front of him LOL
we also cant have company over unless he is familiar with everyone.
Senorita on the other hand i think she is all bark and no bite, but i'd sure hate to be the intruder to find out.

She is getting more protective as she gets older at 3 now, she will bark ferociuosly at people when they approach the fence, but most the time she ends up wiggling her butt and being friendly. ( but again that is usually only if she knows them)

Also there is no hat wearing or sunglasses in our house, the furkids do not like those two items!

jackie
10-26-2005, 12:16 PM
I voted yes because I know Tito would, he has bit my boyfriend when we were playing rough.

I am not too sure of Bo, but he does follow Tito's lead a lot. I hope I never need to find out, he has a really strong bite, and could do a lot of damage to someone if he wanted to.

Bella is a scared cat, and runs at the sound of loud voices.

jennifert9
10-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Absolutely!!
Unfortunately he protects me from EVERYTHING, :( including things I do not need protection from!! Like Collin! He tries to bite him every night before he leaves when he comes into the bedroom to kiss me goodnight.

slleipnir
10-26-2005, 12:27 PM
I'd say Josie would for sure. I've been walking at night and some drunks have come up to me and creeped me out, and Josie flipped out when he got too close and scared him off. I think she would protect me. We've done the "mock fighht" think and josie jumps up like she doesn't like it

I duno about Zeke..I've never needed protection to say so or not.

Glacier
10-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Depends on the dog. For most of them no--Huskies aren't known for their protective instincts. Earle does get upset when I get upset so I think he might.

The one who most people are afraid of, Heyoka, wouldn't. He's a big doofus. He'd be more likely to lick someone to death than to even growl at them!

The one who most definately would is Chum. He's a pretty unlikely choice--he's small, skinny and not very scary looking. Last winter, Stuart came home very late one night, wearing a big parka, heavy boots and hat. I was already in bed, with Chum snuggled up to me. Stuart didn't say anything as he walked into the bedroom. Chum was up, standing over me, teeth bared, seriously intending to hurt whoever was coming in. Fortunately, Stuart recognized that Chum wasn't kidding and stopped walking and started talking. Once Chum recognized his voice and I got the lights turned on, he relaxed. Every since then, I always keep Chum inside when I am home alone at night!

finn's mom
10-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't know for sure if Finn would or not. But, I do recall one night when I was walking him in Dallas, about 3 am. There was a shady character on the sidewalk close to us and I didn't even see him at first. Finn got tense and basically kept me up against the fence to our community (I would walk outside of the fence, as that was where the grass was, between the community fence and the sidewalk and road.). At first, I didn't know what was up, but, he kept me pinned. I saw the guy, and, then I saw him cross the street. I think Finn actually intimidated him. ;) And, once, when I was living in a house with a roommate, my ex came into the yard and didn't say anything. Finn could only tell that there was someone there, and, he started growling. Chris did the same thing that Glacier's husband did. He stopped and started talking to him. So, I know that Finn would react, but, I don't know how strongly. I hope I never have to find out!

poofy
10-26-2005, 02:00 PM
I know SammyJ can bark up a storm if someone comes close to the door, but outside, he doesnt bark at hardly any one that comes up, and some people hes overly friendly with..I dont know what he would do I someone came in and I didnt tell him to stop..umm prob run and hide..lol..lol.but I love him any way..lol.. :D

ramanth
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
I voted, "I hope so."

Kia's growled at someone only once. In my old apartment, the sliding glass door faced the parking lot. A guy was coming up the walk to the main door and Kia's hairs went up and she growled, then barked. She's never done it since.

If Andy and I hug, she'll bark and try to seperate us. Sometimes when I wrestle with Andy, or my dad, or my sisters, she'll bark and whine, but she's never attacked them if they come at me.

Dad once hid behind some trees with a mask on. He ran out at my friend and I. We screamed. Kia tucked tail and ran away. :eek: :rolleyes:

So again.. I hope so. ;) :p

k9krazee
10-26-2005, 04:10 PM
I voted I hope so...Micki I know would definately, and I am the only one in my family he would protect, the only problem we have now is he is constantly trying to protect me from everything. Jack, probably not...Mini, not me but she would my mom or dad, Shadow and Kyra...maybe.

Anita Cholaine
10-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Of course! She protects me so much when we are on the street with her, especialy if I am alone, and my dad isnt with me.....

caseysmom
10-26-2005, 04:14 PM
I voted no. Casey will usually run for cover if she hears anything and bubba might want to but he is too small to help much.

Although I was at a lake onetime out on a raft and yelled for casey and she swam out and acted like she was swimming out to save me.

Flatcoatluver
10-26-2005, 04:27 PM
I found out the hard way! When i was going out with my bf he went to hug me and she stepped in between us and started growling ans snarling.

prechrswife
10-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Our bassets are way too laid back for that... :rolleyes:

kimboe
10-26-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't think Camen will protect me in a way of attacking someone but he will bark once or twice to people he dosn't know yet, But he is still young and i think that most dogs who are protective are older pups.
So maybe he will when he get's older.

Uabassoon
10-26-2005, 05:15 PM
No way! If Payson sensed danger he would run and hide!

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Tango would depending on the situation, if someone was attacking me she's definitley try her very best to stop them but if someone just broke into the house she'd probably bark and the hide nehind me lol (she's not the bravest dog in thw world...). Keeva and Winston would NEVER let anyone just walk in the door uninvited let alone attack someone in the family, they're both very protective of their home and family. Tia's too much of a chicken, she'd probably just run and hide in the corner until she felt it was safe to come out (definitely not your typical Dachshund)...

chocolatepuppy
10-26-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm 95% sure Lacey would! ;) Mandy would want to but don't know if she could ever hurt anyone. :)

Ginger's Mom
10-26-2005, 06:06 PM
No, Ginger is too afraid to let anyone she doesn't know get near enough to touch her, so she wouldn't "attack" anyone. However, she is great at posturing, the barking and snarling and baring teeth and lunging toward someone (okay the window) she is great at. Delivery people are frightened of her. :o

Pam
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Neither Bella nor Ripley would protect me. :o Ripley would stand there and bark his little head off but I really doubt that he would get involved. I am sure Bella wouldn't either. I guess I'm on my own. :rolleyes:

KYS
10-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Pam your so funny. :)

I think Sheba might protect me, and I am pretty sure Rocky would.

Vette
10-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Im not sure if Kirby would or not.
im betting most likely not. :o

cyber-sibes
10-26-2005, 11:30 PM
I don't think so :rolleyes: Huskies are terrible watchdogs. Maybe if they thought someone was going to hurt me, they would bark or growl, but chances are Sherman would run away and Star would try to lick their face!

grybai
10-27-2005, 12:27 AM
No way! Payson would either 1) lick their hands or 2) hide behind me. He likes people but sometimes he gets a little shy at first.

He also just does not bark so he'd be no help in that respect.

RobiLee
10-27-2005, 02:09 AM
I voted "not sure". I am 100% certain that Tori wouldn't. I don't have a clue if Katie would or not. I would like to think she would. I think if we were outside and someone came up to me in a menacing way that she would be protective. I have always wondered what she would do if someone came into the house without my knowledge. I really think she would just wiggle and waggle all over them and be wooing the whole time...lol. Now, if Katie were to be protective and attack someone, Tori might help out her big sister. I hope I never have to find out. Just having Katie is enough protection though. People are scared when they see her and sometimes of Tori also.

dogzr#1
10-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Prince of course won't actually protect me but he will still be barking his head off! :rolleyes: Astra I highly doubt will protect me. 1. She is shy of strangers 2. She is only rough when she plays with Molly. Sadly I don't think she will be a very good protecter. Molly on the other hand she will most likely protect me. When I am playing with my brothers she sometimes starts to bark and growl because she thinks they are hurting me. :rolleyes: ;) but who knows maybe astra will be a good protecter if she actually sences I am in danger!

trayi52
10-27-2005, 07:54 AM
I voted yes, Buffy a chihuahua, would surely knaw their ankles right off their legs! Yeah, yeah, funny site,I know, but her fur raises on the back of her neck when somebody comes in. If she was the size of a Doberman, people beware! She especially doesn't like anybody close to me!! Little dog, lots of courage!

Willie :)

petslover
10-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Tiger would protect me with all his might. I know when I was little and I used to get sick and my mom would bring me medicine he would like growl and bark and make sure nobody got around me. He is soo little, but he would protect me the best he could.

Buster and Muffin would protect me. When my friends come over and we play fight he gets mad at them and trys to attack them.

I want to think Ziggy would, but I'm not totally sure about that one. She might lick them and get her toy.

I would have no help from CoCo.. He would run the other way as quick as possible. lol

Very cute thread.

ParNone
10-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Murph would only protect me if I was being attacked by Killer Rabbits or some such other rodenty-type.

Doubtful that Oz or Gull would ever attack anybody to protect me. Being Collies they seem to have more of an instinct to come and announce to me that there's danger and then expect me to take it from there. It's apparently my job to make sure everything's okay.

They've never shown any inclination to actually bite somebody. But then I've never been attacked, so who knows. Hopefully this is something I never have to find out for sure.

They're awfully good bluffers though. They can generate enough racket to scare away most people I think. If the person said "Boo" to them though, they'd probably run get behind me.

Par...

ramanth
10-27-2005, 10:32 AM
I don't think so :rolleyes: Huskies are terrible watchdogs. Maybe if they thought someone was going to hurt me, they would bark or growl, but chances are Sherman would run away and Star would try to lick their face!
I know what you mean! Kia wants to jump up and lick their faces. The cable guy knocked on my door last weekend and I had Kia by the collar and she's lunging forward, tail wagging happily. The guy took a step back. I knew she only wanted attention, but the cable guy obviously didn't know that.

I think big dogs in general are good for intimidating so most bad guys not knowing if the dog would attack or not, don't even try it. Which is good for us and I can enjoy a walk with Kia and not worry too much.

When we were lost in Detroit all the seedy looking people crossed the street rather than pass us.

Cinder & Smoke
10-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Cinder = not sure ...
She always *barks* her fool head off when anybody shows up -
but is *waggin* her tail a mile a minute! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif Her "aggressive behavior" is
mostly a demand for attention ... sorta like "Pet me NOW or I'll leap up an
lick your face off!"
Cinder does like to *guard* da Bus in parking lots -
she'll *bark* and "LOOK Nasty" if someone walks too close past the bus when
they're alone in a parking lot; but if the "burgler" walks up an "talks" to her -
she usually calms down and starts *waggin*!

Smokey = doubtful ...
He's long past his fear of people ( he USED to be terrified of http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif MEN) but
now runs up with Cinder to demand attention;
he rarely *barks* at much - that's Cinder's job.

Bowser = highly doubtful ...
He only *barks* if he gets stepped on!
If he *nips* - it's 'cuz he thought the outsretched hand had a TREAT in it!

I once pulled over on the shoulder of an Interstate to jabber on the cell dinger ...
State Trooper Girl pulled up behind to see if we needed help and walked up on
the passenger side - UN-noticed by any of us!
I about had a heart attack when she *rapped* on the side window!
All I ever heard from the back seat was
< GASP! >
< Gasp! >
< gasp! >

So much for my ever vigilant "Guard" Dawgs!

jesse_3
10-27-2005, 05:48 PM
If Jesse doesn't know who someone is, she will snarl at them until I calm her down. She knows when I am play hurting/scared verses serious pain/fright! It is so weird, it is like she can read my mind!

Steph and Jesse (Splinter too!)

wolfie
10-27-2005, 09:21 PM
I agree with everyone, I hope we never have to find out! And to those whos dogs have proved themselves, I'm glad you have each other!

Lol, all the chicken-dogs. :p

But then I think, Charlie was home alone all by himself for almost 12 hours, dad was gone, Jamie was gone, and I was gone. He has NEVER been by himself before for that long, and then some stranger who he has NEVER met or seen before in his life just comes into our house, the poor guy probably freaked out!! Because when I'm around he NEVER acts like that. What do you think??
yeah, I think your right, he was scared.

cocker_luva
10-27-2005, 09:26 PM
nope, my poor deaf girl probably wouldnt even hear the commotion!