PDA

View Full Version : Losing my mind with worry

catnapper
10-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Pouncer's straining to pee again. Right now is the worst time for him to do this -- I just sent thousands of dollars out in taxes.... and am left with pennies in my account. Hubby's car just puttered out. I won't have vet money til next month.

When he strained last time, the vet thought it was connected to the stress of diarreah. Well, the diarreah went away and he stopped straining. Well, the diarreah is back, and so is the straining.

He's not been using the litterbox. Been using the laundry basket instead. Last night, he peed on hubby's all weather pants -- you know the kind where the water beads up? Well, I noticed it, not because of the wet spot, but because it was SPARKLY.... closer inspection showed CRYSTALS..... like frost crystals look on a window. Now, It COULD just be a checial reaction to the fabric not absorbing all the urine, and what was left crystalized. I don't know. But it definately freaked me out, and now even hubby is concerned (up til now he's just rolled his eyes and sid "he's FINE Kim")

Last night I put a plastic bag NEXT to the litterbox for him in the hopes to catch a urine sample, and hoping he'd prefer that over what he sees as painful litter. He went to use it... of course me being me, I got out of bed to see if it was Pouncer on the plastic, and if he was getting anything on the plastic. He saw me, and jumped into the litterbox and began a 5 minute straining session. Of coure nothing came out.

I decided to use the bathroom myself, and he followed me in. There he proceeded to strain in the bathroom's litterbox. I stayed in there with him til he was done.... about 2 minutes. When he left the litterbox, he had left a big messy diarreah spot. So.... was he straining to pee because he thought he had to pee, but really he had to poop? Or are the two unrelated? :confused: :confused:

I'm dying here with worry over my hissy boy. He's my baby. My sweetheart. All I keep doing is repeating to myelf what the vet said -- to check his tummy for tenderness or soreness and feel for a full bladder. So far, no sensitivity in the least, and no bladder felt. Otherwise, the brat is acting perfectly normal. He and Allen just finished a high energy wrestling match. He tormented Abby per their usual nightly ritual last night. He's eating and drinking like normal. Normal!

And please don't make me feel guiltier by telling me he NEEDS to see the vet ASAP... I WANT to take him but simply CAN NOT right now. We have NO credit cards, or I'd be there right now charging the visit.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-26-2005, 09:23 AM
No real help from here, but I wanted to send you a big hug. This helps, I know :) http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20973%20Huge_hug.gif
I also hope that others here will be able to give you some useful advize. It helps to know that he is acting normal, but I would be worried too..... . Must be a "female" thing :D

Get better soon, dear Pouncer!!!

furrykidsmother
10-26-2005, 09:56 AM
I would be worried too! No advice unfortunately, but sending good thoughts to both of you!

catmandu
10-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Pouncer and Scrappy Angels are on thier way,to see to Little Pouncer.
We pray,that the Little Fellow,is all right,and will soon be back to normal.

Pawsitive Thinking
10-26-2005, 10:08 AM
How much would a trip to the vet cost? A Pet Talk collection perhaps?

Logan
10-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Kim, I know you said not to mention the vet, but will your vet not work with you at all and allow you to pay him next month? Seems like he/she would if you have been a faithful client. :(

Hope Pouncer will be ok.

Logan

emily_the_spoiled
10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Would your vet do a phone or email consult for you? Send his exactly what you just wrote us and maybe he can give you some advice without you having to go in...

If he has diarrhea can you try some of the "home remedies" like pumpkin or rice?

catlover4ever
10-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Kim, call your vet and ask him/her about Methio-Form. It is a pill that is crushed up and put into the food or can be free fed to Pouncer.Methio-Form helps to dissolve the crystals and helps to keep the urinary tract clean. If the vet does not know what you are talking about PM me and I will get some out to you in the mail. --- Meg

Nomilynn
10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Are you able to go to your vet and get food called s/d? Chances are the crystals are struvite, and s/d stands for struvite diet. It would help to dissolve the crystals. You can't know for sure if they are struvite crystals without a urinalysis but it might help. I would at least call the vet and ask if there can be a payment plan put in place. Where I work, a straining/blocked cat is considered an emergency.

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Kim, I sure hope that it's nothing serious. :( I'd also call your vet and see if he'd let you pay him at a later date. I hope that Pouncer gets better soon.

caseysmom
10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I bet if you tell him your broke and the symptoms he will just prescribe something and let you pay next month.

catnapper
10-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I just made an appointment with the vet for next week. I have a wonderful dear friend who just made that possible.

Unfortunately, my vet won't work on the "I'll pay you tomorrow" principal. Too many dead beats got hundreds, even thousands, of dollars worth of vet care and never paid it back. They decided that in order to keep expenses down for people who do pay their vet bills, they needed to have a cash-up-front policy. I can't say I blame them.

I adore my vet, and they love when Pouncer comes in. He's famous in there! :D

caseysmom
10-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Oh good kim...maybe if at all possible you can get a credit card reserved just for vet emergencies...I don't claim to know more than you about your finances...just an idea....

Along those lines...everything is so darn expensive...am I the only one noticing that...I am sure I am not.

orangemm
10-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Bless your friend! that was wonderful. Let us know how it goes.

Cinder & Smoke
10-26-2005, 07:46 PM
I just made an appointment with the vet for next week.

You'll need to watch him like a hawk for the next 24 hours ...

*IF* he really can't *pee* - he can't wait till next week.
A urinary blockage is an urgent, life-threatening, emergency.

/s/ Phred

momcat
10-26-2005, 07:53 PM
How much would a trip to the vet cost? A Pet Talk collection perhaps?

I'll chip in, just let me know where to send the check.....

catnapper
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
You'll need to watch him like a hawk for the next 24 hours ...

*IF* he really can't *pee* - he can't wait till next week.
A urinary blockage is an urgent, life-threatening, emergency.

/s/ Phred
Thanks Phred, I have definately been keeping an eye on him. Last time we had this issue, the vet showed me what to do to gauge how his bladder is. So far, empty bladder. I know that when its full, and he doesn't pee, then we've got a serious issue on our hands. He's been peeing around the house -- ON the kitchen counter the other day (and this cat never jumps up onto the counter). So I at least know he's peeing. I am not even going to worry about WHERE he pees right now, just as long as he DOES pee.

barncat
10-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Hang in there! I've been in the no money spot too many times...(thank the powers that be that my vet takes checks dated for the future....)

You are watching out for him and he is peeing...

take care of you all.

Donnaj4962
10-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Sending lots of good wishes, thoughts and prayers your way that Pouncer will be okay. I am glad your friend came through for you.... I know JUST how you feel as I am single, living on an income from a non-profit organization. I worry constantly that one of my girls will be sick and I will be unable to pay. Bless your friend for helping you and Pouncer.

Soapets
10-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Keep us posted on how he does. I've been reading in some of my books about cat health about how this can be a real problem in male cats, and sometimes associated with their diet. I will know what to watch Shadow for over time as well. I'm hoping Pouncer does OK, and that everything comes out all right in the end! ;) (NO PUN INTENDED! OK, well maybe a LITTLE intentional there!) :rolleyes:

Deb