PDA

View Full Version : Petsmart's sooo wasteful!

QueenScoopalot
10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
But several of us have been 'dumpster diving' on a regular basis lately, and grabbing up all sorts of brand new stuff. :eek: Though it's been raining around here a lot, I had to stop by Petsmart yesterday to pick up a few of my carriers in the adoption center. I can't resist the urge to dumpster dive while I'm there, as it's unreal what they throw away! Yesterdays haul was 2 aquariums (complete with light, filter system etc. and still boxed), a case of canned cat food, a slightly ripped 18lb. bag of Friskies dry food, 6 brand new cardboard cat scratchers, and a few tubs (still sealed) of catnip. :eek: The 10 gallon hexagonal aquarium was thrown out because the flourescent bulb didn't work! :rolleyes: A few others who volunteer at the adoption center also have been getting some incredible loot! Barbara got a pet stroller (big bucks), and a carrier with the top, and front opening doors. John has scooped up brand new dog crates etc. Both are in their 70s, but something else lol! In the past we've taken 100s of pounds of dog & cat food from there, including Eukenuba etc. Such incredible waste it sickens me! Odd how Petco and other stores will donate to the shelters, but Petsmart's policy is to pitch it out. :rolleyes: I highly recommend checking your local Petsmart dumpters out on a regular basis, and come with an empty vehicle as you'll leave with a full one of brand new loot! :D ;) But don't you dare touch my dumpster lol! :o

petslover
10-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I'll have to check that out! ;)

Jessika
10-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Isn't it illegal to go through someone else's trash, especially companies like that?? O_o

Well my experience from working at PetCo is that we don't throw stuff away unless its broken or if its bags of food that have been accidentally opened we HAVE to throw it away, regardless of whether its still good or not. But your petsmart does sound wasteful if nothing you got was broken O_o

Samantha Puppy
10-25-2005, 07:13 PM
I believe it is illegal, Jessika - but I'd have to check on it for sure. Maybe Cataholic knows more? Either way, it's sad they waste so much but I still don't think I could bring myself to dumpster dive... legal or not.

luvofallhorses
10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
:eek:

LoudLou
10-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Isn't it illegal to go through someone else's trash, especially companies like that?? O_o

Yes it is without permission from the store. We found this out because my parents were Fined heavily for dumpster diving without permission. When I was really little, my family and a couple of other families, were dumpster divers. We had to get written permission from the stores whose dumpsters we raided. Our regular dumpsters were Alpha Beta, Vons and Kmart... there were some amazing finds.... And remember those really cool fruit and veggie crates with the pretty labels on the ends, and milk crates... we were told back then it was a $500 fine for each one, unless you had permisson...:o :eek: we had a lot of those!

buttercup132
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
OMG im going shopping! weehoo free stuff!

Zany_girlie
10-26-2005, 02:52 PM
That is really crazy!!! I can't believe they just throw things out for the silliest things. I think that is really dumb because they stuff could be donated to pets that really need it......but hey at least you get free stuuf out of it ;). If only they knew.....i'm sure they would prob charge you to go dumpster diving;) :p

Jessika
10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
That is really crazy!!! I can't believe they just throw things out for the silliest things. I think that is really dumb because they stuff could be donated to pets that really need it......but hey at least you get free stuuf out of it ;). If only they knew.....i'm sure they would prob charge you to go dumpster diving;) :p

No they wouldn't charge you, you would get fined because its illegal. :(

elizabethann
10-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Hey, thanks for the tip. It's funny that you started this thread because when I first went to PetSmart (about 1 year ago), I noticed a ton of stuff in the garbage. I was just about to check it out when an employee came out and started hanging out by the back door. I wasn't able to stay, so I left.

Now, I'm going to go there this weekend and check the dumpster out.

Anything I can't use, I'll give to the local shelter.

Thanks again!

P.S. Please bail me out if I get arrested. ;)

jackie
10-26-2005, 03:34 PM
P.S. Please bail me out if I get arrested.
Hahahaha! If you don't post in 24 hours I will send someone downtown for you!

QueenScoopalot
10-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't think the police will harass two senior citizens (Barbara & John..I'm not there yet lol) for "recycling". :o I can't wait to see the loot Barb got from there. The manager is easy going at this store, and even if any of us were spotted, he'd likely look the other way. But I mostly go when it starts getting dark out, or after the store closes on Sun. Not quite enough time to 'recycle' as much as I'd like to though...but can someone bail me out too if need be? :confused: I can't understand why Petco will donate pallets of food to the shelters, but not Petsmart...makes no sense at all. :confused: :rolleyes:

areias
10-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Yesterdays haul was 2 aquariums (complete with light, filter system etc. and still boxed),

Interested in selling me a discount aquarium?? ;)

CagneyDog
10-26-2005, 05:49 PM

Ignorance is bliss.

I'll have to go take a look sometime :p

Flatcoatluver
10-26-2005, 05:50 PM
thats weird :rolleyes:

k9krazee
10-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Too bad theres not a petsmart near me, well not that I know of anyway....

QueenScoopalot
10-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Interested in selling me a discount aquarium?? ;)
You're a bit far from here, otherwise I'd share the wealth just for the asking! Here's one I scooped..it has a hairline crack at the top, but I filled it with water, and it held no problem for the day. Filter works, bulbs fine..cute lil setup. :)
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6985&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030102&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1130370318320
And the other tank is a ten gallon hexagonal Topfin complete setup. Reason it was tossed...the bulb! :eek: I haven't seen what my cohorts snagged yet, but Barbara grabbed a stroller..nothing wrong with it she says...and a weee bit pricey! http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444181 1616&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032884&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1130371140878
They pitch things out of sheer laziness I think. If customers open the packages it gets tossed. I work hard to buy food and litter etc. for the rescues that come through here non-stop, and if I see an overflowing dumpster full of items that are not spoiled or true garbage...I'll risk arrest for sure! ;) I can always play the dumb card if that occurs! ;)

Roxyluvsme13
10-26-2005, 08:34 PM
dumpster diving here i come!!!! ;) first i have to find our petsmarts dumpster :rolleyes:

wolfsoul
10-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Petcetera is the worst -- I cringed everyday when I had to throw out dozens of brand new things. Unfortunatly there won't be any "dumpster diving" though -- they make you completely smash everything before you throw it out so that people can't steal it.

Flatcoatluver
10-26-2005, 10:56 PM
i will never be going dumbster diving since i work at the adoption ceter in petsmart, I know what kind of stuff they put in there and i don't want to go looking.

areias
10-27-2005, 03:28 AM
Hah, I currently work at Petsmart. (Well, I'm quitting tomorrow...I couldn't take it...) And yea, I don't think most employees care about you taking stuff. Heck you could probably pay them $10 and they could hand it to you. Just pick a real dopey looking one. :D Just watch out for the managers.

Van10
10-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the tip! :D:D:D:D

I think I'm going to go to the nearest costume shop and pick up the uniform of a cop or that of a security guard, then I'll "investigate" the dumpster for evidence... :p

Jessika
10-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Hah, I currently work at Petsmart. (Well, I'm quitting tomorrow...I couldn't take it...) And yea, I don't think most employees care about you taking stuff. Heck you could probably pay them $10 and they could hand it to you. Just pick a real dopey looking one. :D Just watch out for the managers.

If the managers catch the associates who are taking "bribes" for letting people take store merchandise, whether its "trash" or not, I'm sure they'll get fired so fast. So that isn't really a smart thing to do. :o

I'd kill to work at the Petsmart here... after I moved and had to leave my job at PetCo I miss it so bad :(

buttercup132
10-27-2005, 02:20 PM
:D :D :D i have 2 petsmart stores near me so if one finds me ill go to the other :D

smokey the elder
10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
The Petsmart near me has a Love a Pet center, and they let us have the broken litter bags, and will let us take broken food, as long as it can be sealed up and is still within code. My beef with them is that they have pallets stacked up where it's hard to get at the supplies to clean and stock the cages. I think they're shorthanded and haven't had a decent manager in years.

chocolatepuppy
10-27-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm going to Petsmart tomorrow but would never dream of going behind the store to the dumpster! Never mind the cops, I'd be worried about getting knifed! :rolleyes: Not that it's 'that' bad of an area, but who knows. ;)