PDA

View Full Version : Rome bans 'cruel' goldfish bowls

ramanth
10-25-2005, 02:57 PM
A step in the right direction or going to far?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/25/italy.fishbowls.reut/index.html

ROME, Italy (Reuters) --

The city of Rome has banned goldfish bowls, which animal rights activists say are cruel, and has made regular dog-walks mandatory in the Italian capital, the town's council said on Tuesday.

The classic spherical fish bowls are banned under a new by-law which also stops fish or other animals being given away as fairground prizes. It comes after a national law was passed to allow jail sentences for people who abandon cats or dogs.

"It's good to do whatever we can for our animals who in exchange for a little love fill our existence with their attention," said Monica Cirinna, the councilor behind the by-law.

"The civilization of a city can also be measured by this," she told Rome daily Il Messaggero.

The newspaper reported that round bowls caused fish to go blind. No one at Rome council was available to confirm this was why they were banned. Many fish experts say round bowls provide insufficient oxygen for fish.

In July 2004, parliament passed a law setting big fines and jail terms for people who abandon pets and since then local governments have added their own animal welfare rules many of which will be difficult to police.

The northern city of Turin passed a law in April to fine pet owners up to 500 euros ($597.7) if they do not walk their dogs at least three times a day.

The new Rome by-law requires owners to regularly exercise their dogs, and bans them from docking their pets' tails for aesthetic reasons.

It also provides legal recognition for cat lovers who provide food for the colonies of strays which live everywhere from the city's ancient Roman ruins to modern office car parks.

Animal rights groups estimate that around 150,000 pet dogs and 200,000 cats are abandoned in Italy every year.

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Wow. I don't think it's going too far. Even though it does sound kinda silly, somehow. I think it's good what they're doing, though.

gini
10-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Kim, I posted the same article under General.

I don't think it is going too far..............pretty sad when you have to have a law to get people to walk their dogs don't you agree?

jackie
10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
I think it is great.

Most people don't know goldfish have a lifespan of 10 years+, and think when they keep one alive in those little bowls for six months, that it is an achievement. IMO goldfish bowls are "cruel" and is comparable to chaining a dog for it's whole life. A dog CAN live like that, but it does not mean it is right.

Rome is doing great things for animal rights, I wish most cities/countries would take a step in that direction.

Lady's Human
10-25-2005, 04:21 PM
I have one problem with their ordinance on walking dogs. If it was passed here I'd be fined. Lady spends all the time outside she wants, has plenty of room to exercise on her run, and we wrestle with her on a frequent basis, but she isn't "walked" 3 times per day.

jackie
10-25-2005, 04:23 PM
I have one problem with their ordinance on walking dogs. If it was passed here I'd be fined. Lady spends all the time outside she wants, has plenty of room to exercise on her run, and we wrestle with her on a frequent basis, but she isn't "walked" 3 times per day.

Most housing in Rome is apartments without yards, which is not really comparable with the space you have in North America.

Lady's Human
10-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Jacki, I know that. My issue is with the specifics of the ordinance. It would be better if it were written that dogs had to be exercised 3 times per day.

Uabassoon
10-25-2005, 04:55 PM

Me and Alexa would be in trouble too. Payson HATES walks! We are happy if we can get him to tolerate being outside long enough to go potty.

beeniesmom
11-02-2005, 10:02 AM
That is great!
When I lived in Italy, I signed the petition for harsher punishment (jail time)against people who were cruel to animals/abandon animals! I had my mom sign and everyone I knew.
Glad the law exists now!