PDA

View Full Version : Light on Snow discussion

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Here are three questions to open up the discussion for October's book... keep in mind, I'm new to this, if anyone has any suggestions or wants to briefly take the reins from me to steer us in a better direction, please feel free. ;) There are questions at the back of the book, and, I'm posting the first three today...

1. Nicky notes near the beginning of Light on Snow that her father actively avoids civilization, yet when they find Baby Doris he quickly breaks out of his self-imposed exile to help save the abandoned infant. Why do you think he chooses to become so involved in this situation?

I think because he's lost his own small child, that he feels maybe obligated to help this child, or maybe because he's subconsciously aware of the life he's basically taken from his own daughter, that he should help the baby. And, morally, I don't think he really even has a choice in something like this. I don't think he really gets all that involved in the situation anyway...he finds the baby and takes her to the hospital. He doesn't get too much more involved than that until the mother shows up on his doorstep, and, then, he's sort of forced into being involved.

2. Discuss the relationship between Nicky and her father as the novel opens. In what ways is their relationship unique? In what ways does it reflect or subvert the traditional roles of parent and child?

Geez, it's been so long since I read it, and, I don't have the book in front of me, now! Um...I'd say that in a lot of ways, her father (was his name Robert?) wasn't really parenting her. She was relatively self sufficient, and, possibly even parenting him in some ways.

3. The December days through which Light on Snow unfolds represent a rite of passage for Nicky in many ways. How is she ultimately influenced by what she experiences in these weeks? What does Nicky draw from her relationships with the various adults around her? Do you think they learn something from her as well?

I think the situation helps her relationship with her father tremendously, even though it tears it down briefly near the end of the book. She phsyically goes through a change when she starts her period...and, I think Charlotte and Nicky's father learn something from Nicky...I think Nicky's father has learned that it's time to move on, that's it's good for both of them if they each start living again. And, I think Charlotte learns trust in people, because they don't turn her in, and, Nicky really takes to her.

Dang, I'm just not doing well with my answers! ;) But, I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have to say about it!

Overall, I liked the book. It's not one that I'd pick up again or really recommend to others. It's a good read, though, and, I enjoyed it. I didn't feel a particular attachment to the characters, but, I did feel different emotions while reading it. And, the whole story about how the mother/wife and sister/daughter died, that really stuck in my head for a few days, just because my own mother was going on a road trip, and, it made me worry more than usual about her and her friend getting into a car accident. Other than that, though, as soon as I closed the book, I let the characters go. Hope that makes sense. I honestly have to say, though, from remembering back, the only character I actually liked was the dad. I'll have to skim through the book again, or listen to what you all are saying to help jog my memory. ;) So, now, it's your turn! Tell us your thoughts on the book...if you wanna answer the questions at the top of this post, please do. My answers are fairly elementary, simply because I've just not thought about books so deeply in a long time...I've just basically always gone on how they made me feel...this will help me learn to read them in more than just an emotional way. So, it was hard for me to post the answers, because they're not all that intelligent. But, I wanted to get the ball rolling on this...so, there you have it. Light on Snow is open for discussion! :)

Members and Rules (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1285335#post1285335)

lady_zana
10-25-2005, 04:48 PM
1. Nicky notes near the beginning of Light on Snow that her father actively avoids civilization, yet when they find Baby Doris he quickly breaks out of his self-imposed exile to help save the abandoned infant. Why do you think he chooses to become so involved in this situation?

I think at first he felt he didn't have a choice. He found a baby so he automatically started doing what was best for her. I don't think it was until he was talking to the cop that it really set in what happened. He started worrying about the little girl, wanting to see her and make sure it was okay. I think he was angry at himself for caring about the baby because it reminded him of his own Clara but wasn't Clare but he couldn't walk away from her because he wanted her to be Clare.

2. Discuss the relationship between Nicky and her father as the novel opens. In what ways is their relationship unique? In what ways does it reflect or subvert the traditional roles of parent and child?

I agree with you that she was parenting him. Robert was so caught up in missing his wife that he forgot Nicky lost her mother. I think he felt especially bad because (I got the feeling) he had let his wife drive away when he knew she was drunk. Even though Nicky says at the begining of the book that they'd never know what happened to her mother, if maybe she was distracted by Clara, near the end of the book, Nicky's father tells her not to ever get in a car with someone who is drunk, even if it's herself. I think this is alluding to the mother because though in real life, that's simply good advice for a father to give his daughter, in fiction, everything connects back to something else so there are few useless words. Maybe her father never told her about the mother, or maybe he passed away later before having the chance. (Or I could be way off and the author just wanted to slip that advice to her readers!)

3. The December days through which Light on Snow unfolds represent a rite of passage for Nicky in many ways. How is she ultimately influenced by what she experiences in these weeks? What does Nicky draw from her relationships with the various adults around her? Do you think they learn something from her as well?

I think they learned from her in that she was the most adult. She had to take care of her father and because of that, she knew more about being a mother than Charlotte did. By watching Charlotte and seeing the mistakes she made in her life, Nicky learned that all choices have conquences and she will always have to answer for her action.

I liked the book. It wasn't my favorite book ever written but I liked it. I probably wouldn't recommend it but if someone asked, I wouldn't discourage them from reading it.

This is fun! I can't wait to see everyone's answers. :)

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
(Or I could be way off and the author just wanted to slip that advice to her readers!)

She had to take care of her father and because of that, she knew more about being a mother than Charlotte did.

I hadn't even thought about the mother having been drinking and driving...it didn't seem at all like that to me, it's cool to hear that you got that out of the book!

I really like how you worded that last sentence that I quoted...She really did know more about taking care of another person and responsibility than Charlotte.

I'm glad you posted, thank you! :)

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 07:57 PM
just bumping this up before it goes to page two...

Karen
10-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Here are three questions to open up the discussion for October's book... keep in mind, I'm new to this, if anyone has any suggestions or wants to briefly take the reins from me to steer us in a better direction, please feel free. ;) There are questions at the back of the book, and, I'm posting the first three today...

Becaus the child's life is at stake, and he is a decent human being, he saves the baby. He probably would have done so even if he hadn't lost his wife and baby daughter, but in any case, human instinct kicks in.

Then when the baby's mother shows up, he feels forced into involvement again. I think Nicky being there was at least half the reason he didn't immediately turn Charlotte in, he knows he has to consider the impact every decision he'll make has on his surviving child.

As the novel opens. they are co-existing in the same house, but that's about it. Sadly, this is not a unique situation - many children of divorce - not just kids who've lost a parent to death - end up in a similar-feeling situation. I do think she is more self-sufficient than many kids her age because of it, but chafes at the responsibility sometimes.

Her life changes dramatically in many ways - the events re-establish a relationship with her father, and forces them to talk. She also learns a lot more about the woman's side of relationships through Charlotte, lessons she may or may not need in life, but Charlotte is her first chance to ask questions of an adult female since her mother died.

I liked the book in that it moved very quickly for me - sucked me right in, and I wanted to keep reading.

Some of the writing style bothered me, I dislike how every once in a while she's an adult reflecting back, but doesn't reveal much about her current life or circumstances, which bothered me a bit. And it also made it hard to tell, toward the end, whether the things she was projecting about her future relationship - if any - with Charlotte were just wishful thinking, or things that actually happened in the intervening years.

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 08:34 PM
[COLOR=Blue]I liked the book in that it moved very quickly for me - sucked me right in, and I wanted to keep reading.

Some of the writing style bothered me, I dislike how every once in a while she's an adult reflecting back, but doesn't reveal much about her current life or circumstances, which bothered me a bit. And it also made it hard to tell, toward the end, whether the things she was projecting about her future relationship - if any - with Charlotte were just wishful thinking, or things that actually happened in the intervening years.

I agree with what you've said about the writing style, just couldn't word it! :) It bothered me a bit, too.

I did like the book, and, it did keep me interested. Did the characters stay with you at all, Karen? That's usually how I know if it's a story that I'll pass onto others. ;) This one didn't do that for me. As soon as I put the book down, they left my brain. I did enjoy the book, though, overall.

CagneyDog
10-25-2005, 08:40 PM
When she was looking back i didn't realize she was an adult? I thought she was just looking at her past. :o

I thought overall it was an really good book. The character that really stayed with me is Charlotte. I think she was probably the most realistic character. I felt bad for her while I was reading it.

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 08:42 PM
When she was looking back i didn't realize she was an adult? I thought she was just looking at her past. :o

She was looking at her past...she's something like in her thirties, I think...and, she's looking back at her past as a preteen...is that what you're talking about?

CagneyDog
10-25-2005, 08:43 PM
She was looking at her past...she's something like in her thirties, I think...and, she's looking back at her past as a preteen...is that what you're talking about?

Yeah thats what I'm talking about, I just never caught on that she was an adult when she was looking back :o :confused:

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah thats what I'm talking about, I just never caught on that she was an adult when she was looking back :o :confused:

Oh, you thought she was just like a couple years older?

CagneyDog
10-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Oh, you thought she was just like a couple years older?

I don't know what I thought :confused: now that I skim through the book again it is apparent that she is older when she is looking back so i'm not sure why i never figured that out the first time :p

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I don't know what I thought :confused: now that I skim through the book again it is apparent that she is older when she is looking back so i'm not sure why i never figured that out the first time :p

You're funny...it's ok. As long as you enjoyed the book! ;) I think it says like one time how old she actually is, but, I've been reading two books since I finished that one, so, my brain's mush! ;)

lady_zana
10-25-2005, 09:20 PM
;)
I hadn't even thought about the mother having been drinking and driving...it didn't seem at all like that to me, it's cool to hear that you got that out of the book!

I really like how you worded that last sentence that I quoted...She really did know more about taking care of another person and responsibility than Charlotte.

I'm glad you posted, thank you! :)

The reason I thought that the mother may have drinking and driving is that I write too and everything in fiction has to loop back somehow....I think it was Oscar Wilde that said something like 'Fiction is different than real life because fiction has to make sense.' That's why most of our 'everyday lives' aren't featured in books, because everything has to loop back and be more than wasted words.

Thank you for your compliment. I'm glad you liked it.

One thing I didn't like about this book was that it was a reflection story, Nicky telling it to us from her adulthood but yet the story was in the present tense as if it was happening right then....that irked me but I really don't care for books in the present tense anyway....I lose something of the story - how can you be telling me about what happened as you do it? Does that make sense? I would prefer it to say something like 'I wrote my book review on Pet Talk' as opposed to 'I am writing my book review on Pet Talk.' That's just my perference though.

slleipnir
10-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I didn't think that the ending was much of an ending...It was an enjoyable book, but for some reason I felt empty as I read the last page...I don't know what could have been done differently, but anyway...

CagneyDog
10-25-2005, 10:05 PM
I didn't think that the ending was much of an ending...It was an enjoyable book, but for some reason I felt empty as I read the last page...I don't know what could have been done differently, but anyway...

Yeah I felt that too.

Karen
10-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah, it could have had a more solid ending, it felt like one of those movies that ends with "Sequel Alert!" especially with her dad and the woman he helps with her stuck car, etc. It was kinda like "Where'd THAT come from?" and why do we get to know about that, but not about what is going on in the narrator's life now?

As for her age, page 4, third paragraph begins

"I am twelve on this mid-December afternoon (though I am thirty now),"

I did like the book, but still have my objections. But that's okay, I don;t have to love EVERY book I read, and it makes it more fun to discuss things when we all come at it with our own likes and dislikes.

Speaking of which ...

By the end, did you like or dislike

Nicky
Charlotte
Robert (Nicky's Dad)
Detective Warren

And why?

Discuss ...

CagneyDog
10-25-2005, 10:50 PM
As for her age, page 4, third paragraph begins

"I am twelve on this mid-December afternoon (though I am thirty now),"

:o :o

--
Nicky- I loved Nicky. I thought she was a really strong character. I think she had charater in the book, which made it really interesting.

Charlotte-I liked Charlotte from the moment she showed up at the door :p. I’m not sure why I felt so attached to her, I guess it was because she was so vulnerable and down, and I felt bad for her.

Robert (Nicky's Dad)I didn’t really like Robert from the beginning. I didn’t like how he handled things. I thought that he wasn’t a very interesting character in the story. He was dull.

caseysmom
10-25-2005, 11:49 PM
I loved Nicky the best. I thought Robert was very selfish and couldn't really relate to him. I know he lost his wife and child and I should give him a break.

I liked the larger print on the book for my 40+ eyes too. It was a quick entertaining read.

Nomilynn
10-26-2005, 03:22 AM
I think the ending was exactly right for that book. We aren't supposed to know what happened because it doesn't really matter.. for whatever reason that part of Nicky's life matters at the time the book is written and I think if we knew what happened beyond that it would change the way we felt about the entire situation. Imagine how different you would feel if you knew the baby got back to Charlotte.. would you hate her? Love her more? I think it's a good ending because it leaves you asking the same questions that Nicky has to ask herself at the end of the book.

finn's mom
10-26-2005, 02:16 PM

Nicky
Charlotte
Robert (Nicky's Dad)
Detective Warren

And why?

Nicky - for some reason, she mostly bothered me. I couldn't place my finger on it while I was reading it, and, I can't, now. Maybe bratty? I don't know.

Charlotte - didn't really feel much either way towards her

Robert - I liked him. He was the only character that I actually felt anything distinct for. I felt he was troubled, but, strong and was going through his fight the only way he knew how. He dealt with his grief, even if it was in a jacked up way...and, by the end of the book, it seems as though he'd finally come through it.

Detective Warren - basically indifferent to him...I thought he was doing his job...and, I liked how he showed a thoughtful side at the end by going to see Baby Doris's new home.

finn's mom
10-26-2005, 02:17 PM
I think it's a good ending because it leaves you asking the same questions that Nicky has to ask herself at the end of the book.

I pretty much agree with you. I thought it was appropriate, and, I don't know that I would want to know a whole lot more about what happened.

finn's mom
10-26-2005, 02:19 PM
4. A great deal about Robert Dillon's pre–New Hampshire life as a successful architect in New York City is revealed when his former colleagues visit his new home. Discuss the distinctions that the author draws between the Dillons' past and their present life.

5. Several scenes in the novel are focused on the preparation and consumption of food. Discuss the significance of these meals to the story.

6. How does Charlotte's arrival affect Robert and Nicky's interaction with the rest of the world?

7. After meeting Charlotte, Nicky's father struggles with the decision of whether or not to turn her in. Does he make a good choice in the end? Why?

I can't give my answers right now, but, I will later! :) Thanks for participating you guys!

caseysmom
10-26-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't know the signifigance of the food but it always made me hungry :D

finn's mom
10-27-2005, 09:48 AM
4. A great deal about Robert Dillon's pre–New Hampshire life as a successful architect in New York City is revealed when his former colleagues visit his new home. Discuss the distinctions that the author draws between the Dillons' past and their present life.

I honestly don't remember much about that...just that they were wealthy and were socially active...had a lot of material things, if I remember correctly.

5. Several scenes in the novel are focused on the preparation and consumption of food. Discuss the significance of these meals to the story.

The only thing I can say about the food in the book is that at first, they just eat in the den or living room, then, with Charlotte, they eat again the kitchen, like they used to when the mother and sister were alive.

6. How does Charlotte's arrival affect Robert and Nicky's interaction with the rest of the world?

They seem to be even less interactive, because they don't want anyone to know that she's there...

7. After meeting Charlotte, Nicky's father struggles with the decision of whether or not to turn her in. Does he make a good choice in the end? Why?

I think he does. I think it doesn't necessarily show Nicky that he's breaking the law, so much as he's being compassionate towards another human being, and, I think that's something she needed to see in him.

Sorry my answers aren't that in detail...I wish I hadn't read the book so quickly! ;) That's why November will be broken down! :D

finn's mom
10-27-2005, 09:56 AM
8. Nicky's argument with her father after Charlotte leaves becomes a turning point in the novel. What does Nicky discover about herself in this passage? What does she learn about her father?

Nicky discovers a strength she didn't know she had. She's able to finally stand up to her father and tell him how she feels. She's grown up a lot, and, he realizes it, too. She learns that her father is not as cold and unfeeling as she'd thought, and, that he had been grieving. She realizes that he's not as strong as he seemed.

9. When Nicky overhears Charlotte's confession, she notes, "I want to believe that my father and I were meant to stumble across Baby Doris and give her a chance at life. But I'm not sure. I think about accidents and intersecting footsteps" (page 240). What does she mean by this observation? What role does fate or chance play in Light on Snow? Offer some examples.

I don't remember too many examples, really...but, I think she's just referring to the cliche "things happen for a reason." Just that they lost their family members, moved up to the north, and took that walk that day so that they could save that baby in the woods. But, then again, she's not sure if maybe all this was just chance, and, it was pure luck and coincidence that they found the newborn. I guess some examples of it are just the fact that they're taking the walk in the first place...that Charlotte and her boyfriend ended up in that hotel, in the middle of nowhere. That the detective was in the convenience store just as Nicky was buying the tampons. Hmmm...that's all I can think of right now.

10. The morning after the snowstorm, Nicky and Charlotte move a table into the kitchen. What does this action suggest? What exactly has changed?

This suggests that they both feel more comfortable now in this house, and, it's time that the house become more of a home. It changes the feeling in the kitchen, suggesting that it's time to move on.

finn's mom
10-27-2005, 05:03 PM
bumping this up

finn's mom
10-27-2005, 11:18 PM
bumping back up before I go to bed...

lady_zana
10-28-2005, 04:07 AM
Speaking of which ...

Nicky
Charlotte
Robert (Nicky's Dad)
Detective Warren

And why?

Discuss ...

Nicky - I really didn't care for Nicky. She seemed....immature to me. However, I think this could be for two reasons. 1) I'm not a 'kid' person; I simply don't deal well with younger children. 2) I write for young adults so I read lots of YA books. When occassionally the protagonist is as young as Nicky, most of the time, YA portray them as being very mature since most kids at that age want to feel they are very grown up.

Charlotte - I didn't like Charlotte but I liked the author's portrayal of Charlotte. I'm twenty-three and that doesn't seem like much older than nineteen but I know I have a friend who is only nineteen going through some of the problems I did when I was his age and wow! - I feel so much older than him! I think at nineteen, you're pretty naive about the world - just out in the job force for the first time or in college. I'm alot more mature now that I've just graduated college than when I went in. I think the author's portrayal of Charlotte was pretty close to on the mark and I came away liking the character for that.

Robert - I feel the same way about Robert as Charlotte though I actual did like him a little better than her. I think Robert started out truly mourning for his wife but I got the feeling that by the time we met him, he was more simply feeling sorry for himself. There must be no pain like the pain of losing a wife and a daughter at the same time but Robert lost sight of fact that he had things to live for like Nicky.

I'll have to come back and talk about the Detective Warren and answer the other questions a little later as right now a vicious orange Weezie-monster is destroying the countryside since I'm not paying enough attention to her. :) (Okay, maybe not countryside but at least everything on my computer table. :p )

Oggyflute
10-28-2005, 04:43 AM
Whilst reading the book I was quite captivated with the characters portrayed. The author had good prose and character definition. I felt that the story could have gone a lot further than the examination, of a girls younger life and relationship with her father. I would have liked to see how as a woman, the events had shaped her life in her decisions around a current situation that she was in. The book felt more like background, going on to a bigger involved plot.
I feel the author is selling herself short and should in fact be writing a more involved book plot wise, as she does have the talent to write a terrific novel if she ever get's the chance to do so. To me it simply felt that the book was about 30 chapters short. A nice easy read though I guess. :)

finn's mom
10-28-2005, 08:16 AM
11. "I know, as one does at twelve or eleven or ten, that I have witnessed something I shouldn't have witnessed, seen something I shouldn't have seen" (page 198). What has Nicky witnessed in this passage and how does what she has seen affect her?

12. Discuss the relationship between Nicky and Charlotte. How does each influence the other?

13. Do you think Charlotte's behavior with respect to her newborn child is justified? Do you think she takes appropriate responsibility for her actions in the end?

14. Although the novel's action takes place when Nicky is twelve years old, she is thirty when she recounts it. Why do you think the author has chosen to have a grown-up Nicky tell the story?

finn's mom
10-28-2005, 03:36 PM
bumping this up...

Cincy'sMom
10-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Overall, I liked the book. I liked Nicky, even though she seemed a bit of a know it all for a 12 year old...but having to deal with the loss of a mother and sister she had to grow up quick. She was forced to help her father get on with life, so she had to mature fast.

finn's mom
10-29-2005, 01:41 PM
11. "I know, as one does at twelve or eleven or ten, that I have witnessed something I shouldn't have witnessed, seen something I shouldn't have seen" (page 198). What has Nicky witnessed in this passage and how does what she has seen affect her?

She's witnessed an adult grieve in an angry way, which she hasn't seen, really. Her father never really showed his anger at losing his wife and daughter. He never let her really see how upsetting it was, in any way. I think it scares her to see an adult look so out of control.

12. Discuss the relationship between Nicky and Charlotte. How does each influence the other?

Nicky learns a lot from Charlotte, and, gets a woman's perspective on things, which she's really been lacking. Charlotte I think learns trust, because these people let her stay in their home, even though she's a complete stranger.

13. Do you think Charlotte's behavior with respect to her newborn child is justified? Do you think she takes appropriate responsibility for her actions in the end?

I think her behavior as far as the actual birth and the child being taken from her was justifiable, because she was doped up. She was totally out of it, and, I think that's about how most people would act. As for the lead-up to it, I don't think it was justifiable at all. I think she should have handled it differently from the beginning. She should never have let it get to the point of birthing the child without a doctor present.

14. Although the novel's action takes place when Nicky is twelve years old, she is thirty when she recounts it. Why do you think the author has chosen to have a grown-up Nicky tell the story?

Not sure, maybe because it's easier for her to talk about it...she's able to see it for what it was, a learning experience...she's more insightful as a 30-year-old woman.

finn's mom
10-30-2005, 12:10 PM
bump bump bump. :)

Karen
10-30-2005, 12:23 PM

I think she was too doped up by the boyfriend to think clearly at the time of the birth and immediately afterwards. I don't like her character much because she took so little responsibility for the baby throughout her whole pregnancy, and was naiive enough to believe the boyfriend, and to let him lead her so astray from what she had planned for her life. It is not unrealistic for a your woman to act that way, but I still didn't like her lack of preparation - physically or emotionally, or her lack of much anger at the boyfriend. Yes, her tantrum in the woods in understandable, and I do think in the end she takes some responsibility, but in my mind, not enough.

Because she can appear more omnicient than she could have otherwise, and lend some perspective to it. I wish it had either revealed more or less or her current life (at 30), was uncomfortable with the amount that was revealed.

kimboe
11-07-2005, 10:48 AM
ok, Little late but oh well.
i thought the book was alright. I didn't like how it was going back in forth in time. And I liked the characters, at first i did not like Detective Warren, but at the end he turned out to be an ok character.
I also felt that the end of the book was not enough, I wanted to know more as to what happened to the characters. It left me wondering and was not a proper ending for me.
But in all was an ok book.