PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded red "x"

TopCat3
10-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Sometimes what was meant to be a picture just appears as a red 'X" in a box inside a sort of frame.

I right-click on it and then left-click "show picture" and nothing happens.
I tried a right-click on "show picture" and still nothing happened.

I asked about this on another chat forum (nothing to do with pets, just a chat forum) and someone posted this, below (I hope it attaches ok) for a joke and I thought I would share it with you all.

(Is anyone reading this????) :confused:

Anyway, it was suggested I clean up my internet history files and so forth but it hasn't made any difference, I can never get the red cross to open up into the picture. I only got going on the internet early this year so some stuff is still a puzzle/frustrating to me.

Can anyone help, please?

Pawsitive Thinking
10-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Like it! Very funny............

Uabassoon
10-25-2005, 05:46 PM
The avatar of the kitty stealing the red X makes me giggle everytime I see it.

TopCat3
10-26-2005, 03:55 AM
The avatar of the kitty stealing the red X makes me giggle everytime I see it.

Me too, so I thought I would use it as my avatar since I couldn't be bothered downsizing any of my picture files.

And still no-one has answered my question!

X :mad: :mad: :mad:

mruffruff
10-26-2005, 09:44 AM
If anyone knows the answer, I'd like to hear it, too. Our local shelter sends a newsletter with a lot of pictures, but I never can see them. Could it be how they are sent?

AlleyCat
10-26-2005, 11:16 AM
One cause of red X's is that the files may not be in RGB format. RGB (Red Green Blue) are the colors your monitor is comprised of (so to speak, I'm sure it's far more technical than that but I don't know a better way to explain it since I don't know myself! :) ) Anyhow if files were saved in anything other than RGB format they will show up as a red X. I'm a graphic designer and I often create files in CMYK format since they are for print (and not for web) and if I want to post it on the web and forget to save it as an RGB file first, it shows up as a red X. So that question about how they are sent could be right because of how they may have been saved in the first place. If that newsletter was originally created for print (and then converted for the web) the images may not have been converted to RGB. Now was that long and boring ?? :)

Jessika
10-26-2005, 11:31 AM
One cause of red X's is that the files may not be in RGB format. RGB (Red Green Blue) are the colors your monitor is comprised of (so to speak, I'm sure it's far more technical than that but I don't know a better way to explain it since I don't know myself! :) ) Anyhow if files were saved in anything other than RGB format they will show up as a red X. I'm a graphic designer and I often create files in CMYK format since they are for print (and not for web) and if I want to post it on the web and forget to save it as an RGB file first, it shows up as a red X. So that question about how they are sent could be right because of how they may have been saved in the first place. If that newsletter was originally created for print (and then converted for the web) the images may not have been converted to RGB. Now was that long and boring ?? :)

Exactly! Not only that, but if they weren't uploaded properly , or if your browser does not support the file format that they are saved in (such as, older versions of Internet Explorer don't support the .bmp format so they just don't show up), or if the image just doesn't exist, then no matter what you do, you can't view it in your browser.

Perhaps try saving the file locally to your hard drive and opening it up on your computer itself?? Also check what file format the image is in. All images on the web should really only be .gif, .jpg, and in some cases .png. Other image formats aren't recommended, so if you see a site uploading images in other file formats, recommend that they switch to .jpg (the most popular) because not all visitors may be able to view the images. :)

Just because you can view them on your computer doesn't mean they're "web-safe". :)