PDA

View Full Version : At what age?

Heather Wallace
03-23-2002, 06:50 PM
I was in a pet shop today looking at all the pets I would like take home, then come the realisation that it is not practical. I was thinking at what age do you all think should someone be able to purchase an animal. I know in the UK it is sixteen years old, but really do you think that is old enough? I think it should be at the age of either 18 or 21. Then again I got my cat Tatty when I was 18. I also remember buying a hamster at the age of 14 from a shop, all I had to produce was a letter from my mum giving her permission, but that could have been produced by anyone.

I was just thinking about as I heard a group of 14 year olds or so talking today saying to each other ' how much money have you got?', 'do we have enough for the rabbit?'. Luckily enough they didn't buy it.

What is your opinion on this matter? In my ideal world no animal would go to a home unless the owners premisses where checked and the people where asked seriously about owning a pet. But of course this would never happen. I suppose I can keep dreaming.

Thanks for listening to Heather's philosophy hour!!!! lol!

LoudLou
03-23-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Heather Wallace
[/B]
Thanks for listening to Heather's philosophy hour!!!! lol! [/B]

I kinda like your philosophy. I believe we should have liscense for raising Pets and Children. Don't know how we'd ever come up with a FAIR test for it though. Every child/pet is different and presents different challenges..... If it were a " Perfect World" we wouldn't have animals or kids in abusive or neglectful situations....... I suppose I'll keep dreaming with ya.;)

Former User
03-24-2002, 11:49 AM
I woulnd't say that it all depends on the age of the person. There can be a 12 year old that is more mature than a 20 year old. So, should really see how mature person is, how willing to commit to the pet etc. Age is just a number...

Heather Wallace
03-24-2002, 03:54 PM
Yes I totally agree Niina. But shops sell to 16's and over. They don't measure maturity.

I suppose it's its a case of an ideal world eh?:(

Blackfly
03-24-2002, 04:21 PM
Well, it is hard to say age limits, but perhaps forced regular checkups to make sure they are being kept healthy, unfortunately this doesnt necessarily prove the pet is happy, which is at least as important in my opinion
But if i had to say, id say at least age 19

tuxluvr
03-24-2002, 07:05 PM
Blackfly, is that a Tux kitty I see in your avatar?

I agree, Niina....in fact I know some 13 yr olds with more maturity than 40-50 yr olds...

I grew up on a farm and was fortunate to have parents and siblings who taught me how to treat pets properly and responsibly. I know this isnt' always the case

Blackfly
03-24-2002, 08:32 PM
ummm, is a tux kitty an actual breed??? lol
im not sure what she is, but if you say shes a tux kitty, then shes a tux kitty, sure looks like shes wearing one :)

tuxluvr
03-25-2002, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Blackfly
ummm, is a tux kitty an actual breed??? lol
im not sure what she is, but if you say shes a tux kitty, then shes a tux kitty, sure looks like shes wearing one :)

Tuxedo kitty is just a coloring, not a breed....it is that specific pattern of black and white (or grey and white)....with the white feet (spats), cravat (white neck splash)...

I've also seen tuxedo markings on other colorings - like an all calico with the white "collars and cuffs" ;)

Ritz (see avatar) is a classic tuxedo marked kitty

Blackfly
03-25-2002, 10:31 AM
From your description, yes, Bisk is definitely a Tux Kitty :)

Daisylover
03-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Yeah, in my ideal world I would like to see every person go through an interview and approval process before they could have a pet!!! Unfortunately out at the sanctuary we see way too many abandoned and abused bunnies and/or incredibly stupid people who own bunnies..... THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW.

And I agree...with kids too!

Bunnicula05
03-25-2002, 01:27 PM
Wow, I don't think there is an age limit on buying an animal here in the U.S. But I agree, an expection would be nice of where it's going to live. Then again, I got my dog free from my old doctor, and my mom and step-dad got my rabbits from a breeder for $7 each. And I got my Goldfish at Wal-Mart, lol (like that counts.)

Blackfly
03-25-2002, 02:54 PM
Every animal is special, no matter how small, no matter what is costs :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-25-2002, 10:18 PM
Well here in the Ga......... every pet store I have been in you can't even hold the animals unless you are 18, so I guess the buying age is 18 too. But like everyone said age is just a number. To bad every sweet animal can't be guaranteed a loving safe home.