PDA

View Full Version : Has your dog got renamed?

boxer_babe
10-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Hi, have you named your dog something, then renamed him? That has happened to ALL of my dogs.

elizabethann
10-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Nope. Fenway came as Fenway & since I'm a Red Sox fan, he stayed Fenway. I named my kitty Cosmo & never changed that. However, I first named another kitty Moose, but changed it to Maxie. Now I'm thinking I should have kept Moose because he's as big as one. But he's also a Maxie too.

Cool thread.

joycenalex
10-24-2005, 07:50 PM
angel duke was known as bert (as in ...and ernie). he walked like john wayne, so i renamed him for the duke, after 3 days, he responded only to duke. i bet the cookies and ear skritchies :) every time i said his name didn't hurt either...

sammy101
10-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Kodie was bronco when we got him,but we hated the name. :o
Lucy wasnt named yet when we got her.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-24-2005, 08:03 PM
My dogs have come to me with other names but no, my family hasn't named them something and then changed it.

Before we named them though Tango was called Flash and Keeva was Ebony. Tia's always been Tia and Winston has probably always been Winston. I personally don't like Winston's name but he's already 8 so we didn't want to change it....

Cincy'sMom
10-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Sadie was known as "Twin" in her litter, because she looked like one of the other puppies. It wasn't really a name, but how the people who rescued her mom reffered to her. I don't remember the other puppies names, expect "hammer" (the runt) and "nine" (Sadie's twin). Spot was named by his former family as a puppy, and I don't think the woman who had Cincy's mom called any of the puppies anything.

AllAmericanPUP
10-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Shadow was the only one who went through a name change. When I first got her I just couldnt find a name that suited her...we went through lots of names..and finally i named her Shadow because she is black and follows me everywhere

Uabassoon
10-24-2005, 11:51 PM
We when we first got Payson we had named him Neville then after a day or two we decided that we didn't like it so we renamed him Payson.

wolfsoul
10-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Nope, all of my pets have their original names. Though I did name my rats Boo and Murphy for about the first hour lol. The only pets I've had that have gone through name changes were my old pit bull who was adopted and didn't have a name, so my mom's bf named him Spudz, and my old Siberian husky who was named Rauzha (like the tiger on Aladdin) but was a male, so we renamed him Cheeko. My stepmom thinks I should change Visa's name -- she thinks it's ugly. I think it's an awesome name, and I don't know of any other dogs named Visa.

poofy
10-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I love the name Visa..lol..
SammyJ was Rascal, just didnt fit.. :D

binka_nugget
10-25-2005, 03:58 AM
Kaedyn was named "Milo" by his original owners. I like unique names.. so I immediately knew I had to rename him.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Bitsy didn't have a name before we got her. She was Bitsy from the first moment we saw her.

Charlie was named "Shorty" by his previous owner. He was 2 when we got him but Justin and I hated that name, it didn't fit him at all. Within the first day we'd renamed him Charlie.

Buster was 6 when we got him and he came with his name. The name Buster fits him to a tee.

Nacey came with her name too. It fits her so well and we really like the name. A few people wanted us to chance her name to Lacey, but that doesn't fit her at all.

Nova was never meant to have "Nova" as a permanent name. We found her on Thanksgiving Day and needed something to call her until we found her owner. We called her "Nova" in honor of the holiday (which is in November). We had her for about a month before her owner contacted us and basically said "keep her". Then already having 4 dogs we started looking for a home for her. It was about another month before we decided we had to keep her, because not only were we attached to this little girl, Nacey and her were inseparable. By that time we had been calling her "Nova" for 2 months and felt we couldn't change it.

Twisterdog
10-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Vanilla came to us as Priscilla. But I know a woman who is an irritating flake named Priscilla, and there was no way I could have a dog named that. So I asked my son to think of a name that sounded like Priscilla. He said, "Ummmm .... Chinchilla?" Ummmmm .... no. LOL So he says, "How about Vanilla." Perfect. :)

Lucky, Pepper and Georgie came to me with those stupid names, and I just kept them.

Keito and Queenie were unnamed, so we did get to actually choose two names "from scratch."

PJ's Mom
10-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Peej (PJ) has always had his name. Bailey came to us as an unnamed shelter dog, so we named her ourselves, but never changed her name. :)

Suki Wingy
10-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Once I name an animal, it stays! Clark didn't have a name because he was starting to be trained to fight, just a nickname "little Man" so we decided to call him Clark. Layla was Lady. 1. It was TOO common, 2. my mom's old golden she had when she was my age was named Lady because her registered name was Lady something of Woodlawn. I really wanted Layla to be Dalyla ( I have no clue about spelling, but I would want to spell it different.) My mom didn't like it and I suggested Dilly which she hated and she suggested Lyla which I hated and then we found Layla and we loved it. Niņo they said was Nino but we think the previous owners thought they were asking gender and so said little boy but we'll never know!

lv4dogs
10-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Nanook & Raustyk were shelter dogs. Nanook's previous name was unkown as he was found as a stray and the shelternever technically named him but they did call him something, I can't remember what it was.
Raustyk well I was her 5th home, she was 6 months old. She had a different name with each owner.

Edited to add that Kaige's breeder called him Red. lol

2 of my ferrets were also rescues, Skeet's name was changed to Skeetster & Biggie's name was changed to Biggie Smalls (because she was not that big lol).

I have never personally named an animal then changed the name. But a few times I would call an animal a few different names for the first few days. This helped me find a name that I liked, that the animal liked & one that would suit the animal too.

pitc9
10-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Sierra was something like Kirra. (with a rolling "R" :o )
Buddy was Barry when I adopted him.

ParNone
10-25-2005, 11:05 AM
I spend an enormous amount of time choosing a name, so once I decide, that's it. Course they do end up with an endless number of nicknames, but the original name is still their official name.

They did have previous names from the breeder though. I can't for the life of me remember Murph's, but for the others:

Oz was a Cosmo
Gulliver was a Lee
Madison was a Trudy

Par...

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Finn's name has always been Finn. :) From day one. It's been a name I've always liked, and, I always knew if it fit the dog I got, that's what his name would be. And, it totally fits Finn. The only other names that have come up as possible options for Finn have been Freight or Train, because that's what he is. ;)

wolf_Q
10-25-2005, 11:26 AM
The only other names that have come up as possible options for Finn have been Freight or Train, because that's what he is. ;)

There's a lab that comes in to be bathed sometimes named Train, it's cute. :)

All of the dogs I have we've had (or in Syd's case, my sister had) since puppies. I don't think Nebo was called anything before I got him. They called Reggie Scooter. Sydney had a name as a pup too I think it was Dolly.

Canis Amicus
10-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Rex was named Gigolo by his first owner. I changed his name first thing after adopting him last year.

Rosana
and Rex (GSD, 4 yo)

Enclosed: Rex pic

Jessika
10-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Yup; Charlie's name was originally Mikey. But it just didn't "fit" him lol (not to mention we had a friend named Mike that HJ called Mikey haha).

Jamie though was named by HJ before I'd even seen her or picked her up! Her previous owner had her named Arizona which was beautiful and I would have kept it, except Jamie was HJ's and he was so set on naming her Jamie hehe

Thandi
10-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Mika was Sydney when I rescued her, she never responded to it and it was too close to "sit" (which she didn't respond to either!) She knew and responded to Mika within 2 days.

Chloe was Allie for the 2 days she was in the shelter. I don't think she had another name before that. She still doesn't respond to it, unless we're inside the house.

Den Anne Pen
10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Mine where named when i got them. I did change them when they come home but never changed after that .

Cheyanne was Monica when i got her then i changed it to Cheyanne

Denver was Kato then brought him home and so started my city theme changed to Denver

Aspen was domino when brought him home changed to Aspen

Phoenix was BJ brought him home and is now Phoenix

The 2 cats did'nt have names when i brought them home so they stayed the same : )

Holly's mom
10-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Nope, we got Holly when she was 11 weeks old, and we were the first to name her.