PDA

View Full Version : Please Pray for Baby Nug and me

Samantha Puppy
10-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Last night, I began to not feel well. I was nauseous, and severe lower back pain, and my abdomen began to contract. I was up until after midnight, feeling sick and/or uncomfortable. I was able to sleep but it was fitful and as if feeling badly wasn't enough, I woke up several times with my left calf muscle in a horrible cramp that no amount of walking or massaging would help. Needless to say, when the alarm went off this morning I was in no shape to go to work. I was still going to try, but Josh asked for me to stay home and he is also working from home today to help me out, "wait" on me and keep me off my feet as much as possible. We have a scheduled doctor's appointment this afternoon so hopefully I'll get an "all clear" from them and it was just my body beginning to prepare for delivery in another two months. Please pray that it was just a little "let's start getting ready" session, because I have to admit, I am pretty freakin' scared at the moment. Josh, Nug and I could use all the PT prayers we can get.

anna_66
10-24-2005, 08:36 AM
I hope the Dr. gives you the all clear and your feeling better asap.
Prayers for you both.

prechrswife
10-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Praying for you. I hope you are feeling better very soon.

Pawsitive Thinking
10-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Praying for you all - I expect you are scared but everything will be fine. Sounds like a touch of Braxton Hicks to me which as you so rightly said is your body having a practise run for the real thing. You're right to rest and be waited on hand and foot - you are carrying a very precious bundle xx

Daisy and Delilah
10-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are on their way from Florida :)

finn's mom
10-24-2005, 08:55 AM
I hope it's nothing serious. I'll be thinking of you, hoping for the best news!

JenBKR
10-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Lots of prayers and good thoughts coming your way! let us know how your dr. visit goes!

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-24-2005, 10:19 AM
This is a bit early to get born, little Nug....!
I will keep you in my prayers :)

caseysmom
10-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Prayers are on the way. I had horrible leg cramps while pregnant, woke up screaming in the middle of the night. The lower back pain and cramping of the abdomon is not normal though, make sure you take it easy.

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Jaime, keeping you and Nug in my thoughts and prayers. Please update us as soon as you have any news from your doctor. (((HUGS)))

Lobodeb
10-24-2005, 10:34 AM
I hope they were only Braxton Hicks contractions you were feeling! I noticed some slight cramping yesterday too. It scared me too, so can't imagine how the severity of yours would terrify you.

Good luck and let us know what the doctor says!

Jods
10-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Oh no I hope its just braxton hicks I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. I have had the leg cramps and they HURT!!!!! I haven't had any braxton hicks though so I dunno how they feel. MY prenatal class instructor told us the difference between them and the real thing are that fake ones will stop if you get up and move around and they are not painful just uncomfortable. The real ones do not go away they get more frequent and more painful. Hope that helps. Good luck at the doctors let us know hoe it goes!!

Cataholic
10-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Prayers, prayers and more prayers are on the way.

beeniesmom
10-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey, Take it easy, stay home and relax.
DRINK lots of water. Your legs are cramping because you are dehydrated.
Hope you feel better.

CagneyDog
10-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Lots of prayers on the way for you and the baby {{{hugs}}}

LuvGold00
10-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Good thoughts heading your way...

Samantha Puppy
10-24-2005, 03:55 PM
It's amazing how nonchalant doctors are about issues you think are very serious. My OBGYN didn't seem phased at all that I had lower back pain, nausea or contractions. She said that if we have more than 8 in a two hour window and the pain intensifies to call them. Otherwise, lay on my left side and drink lots of fluid and everything should be fine.

So that's where we are. She said it is normal to start getting "test drives" around this stage in my pregnancy so the only abnormality is if the pain comes more frequently or gets worse. Which is good, but at the same time, I still feel like poo... so I hope the next two months aren't going to see me feeling as badly as I have since last night or I'm gonna be one miserable mommy. :(

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Lobodeb
10-24-2005, 03:58 PM
My hubby e-mailed this to me when I told him I felt like I was cramping. I hope this helps:

Braxton Hicks
Braxton Hicks contractions usually start making an appearance towards the middle of pregnancy, somewhere around 20 weeks. These contractions are felt earlier and more intensely if this is a second or subsequent pregnancy. You'll notice the muscle of your uterus tightening for anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds. In actuality, the uterus is flexing it's muscles, getting ready for the real contractions which will help push your baby out at term.

These practice contractions will begin at the top of the uterus and gradually spread downward before relaxing. Labor contractions are noticeably longer and more intense than Braxton Hicks. Most first time pregnant women will ask their doctor, "How can I tell the difference between Braxton Hicks contractions and true labor?" The answer is almost always the same and somewhat vague, "You'll know real labor when it begins."

Braxton Hicks contractions are not intense enough to deliver your baby, however they do serve a purpose other than to keep an expecting mother on her toes; they help to get the pre-birth process of effacement and early dilation started thus putting mom ahead of the game before labor actually begins. Many doctors recommend using Braxton Hicks contractions as the perfect opportunity to practice the breathing exercises learned in childbirth classes.

Although considered painless when compared with true labor contractions, Braxton Hicks can be very uncomfortable. You may notice Braxton Hicks come more frequently when doing light physical activity like vacuuming or carrying groceries in from the car. If you feel discomfort, try lying down and relaxing or getting up and walking around. Listen to your body. Changing your position may stop the contraction all together.

Some doctors recommend drinking a few glasses of water to help diminish Braxton Hicks contractions as they can sometimes be brought on by dehydration; as a rule, a lack of adequate fluid intake can make the uterus more irritable - another good reason to drink those eight glasses of fluids daily during pregnancy!

Braxton Hicks contractions may be difficult to differentiate from pre-term labor activity so it's always wise to err on the side of caution. Call your doctor anytime contractions are:

Accompanied by lower back pain
Coming at regular intervals
Accompanied by watery or bloody vaginal discharge
Are very frequent (more than four per hour)
Any or all of these can be signs of premature labor and require immediate medical attention. If you are past 37 weeks gestation and have had no other complications throughout your pregnancy, the call to the doctor can wait until contractions last 60 seconds each and are five minutes apart. In this case, you are going to have a baby, and yes, you'll know how real labor contractions feel very soon!

Daisy and Delilah
10-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Jaime, I'm thrilled to hear it's nothing serious but I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. It's tough getting through these things. I hope you get some rest and feel better. Relax as much as possible. You know we're all thinking of you and little Nug :)

Ginger's Mom
10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Just seeing this now. Glad to hear that it is nothing too serious. Just take it easy, and hope you can get some rest and relief. Hugs to you and Nug.

Pawsitive Thinking
10-25-2005, 09:11 AM
It's amazing how nonchalant doctors are about issues you think are very serious.

From what I can remember from when I was expecting my Katie doctors tend to forget that it may be your first pregnancy as they see so many. It is precisely because of that they know when its time to worry so with you and little Nug all must be going well!! :)

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Glad to hear that it is normal to be experiencing that. Still stinks for you, though. :( I hope it doesn't get too much worse for you. Normal or not, it's still a bummer to be in pain.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I had to go to the hospital today for my pre-admission testing. There was a girl in front of me as I was checking in. She seemed a little heavy from behind, but I didn't think anything of it......until the girl behind the counter said "Take the elevators right here up to the XX floor and the maternity ward.." and the girl turned around and she was way pregnant! I just thought :eek: :eek: why are you standing here waiting in line if you're in labor??!!? :eek: She just said thanks, turned and headed for the elevators. I thought "Hmm....must not be the first because she's awfully calm!" ;) :)

furrykidsmother
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
I am glad to hear that it appears to be nothing serious. Hope the next couple of months go quickly for you!

Jods
10-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Glad everything is okay keep your feet up girl!!

Samantha Puppy
10-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone. Physically, I'm feeling back to myself. The only thing that concerns me is that I am still getting contractions - very sporadically - but they seem to happen when I'm either standing or sitting up. That makes me worry that working, where I'm sitting at a desk or walking around all day, will not help matters any.

Lobodeb
10-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Does your doctor know this? Perhaps a little bedrest might be in order until the contractions stop?

I'm glad you're feeling better, otherwise!

Samantha Puppy
10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I told her that and she basically just reiterated what she'd said before - if they become more frequenty and more painful, call. Otherwise, do what I can do relax and drink water. <shrug>

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Hope things are going well and the contractions have slowed down.

I am having the occasional BH contraction (perfectly normal) and as this is my 3rd pregnancy I know what the REAL thing feels like :rolleyes:

BH contractions feel like your entire tummy has "tightened" for a few seconds - almost like a wide elestic belt being pulled very tight. In my experience the real ones are much more intense, and almost take your breath away.

Re the back pain - is it only when you have the contractions, or is it at other times, as back pain can also be a symptom of SPD (More info here (http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/546492.html) )

I have just been diagnosed with SPD, which will unfortunatley be with me for the rest of the pregnancy - basically the pelvis starts to separate WAY too early, so when I walk I have a "grinding" feeling and a LOT of pain. They can't treat it, so I am hoping it won't get worse - so believe me Jaime, I KNOW how you feel about the prospect of having pain for the rest of your pregnancy - I have another 17 weeks ahead of me!!!

(((HUGS))) to you and Nug

Samantha Puppy
10-26-2005, 12:10 PM
No, I don't have SPD. I live with back pain daily as I was born with spina bifida and I also have a tumor in the base of my spine that presses on my sciatic nerve (which causes the pain and also keeps my right leg numb 100% of the time). The back pain I experienced Sunday was was very different from that of which I'm used to.

I still have contractions every day but they aren't regular like they were on Sunday night. Until they are, I've been told not to worry about them! <shrug> They're the pros!! :)

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and concern. :)

Van10
10-27-2005, 12:06 PM
I will keep you in my prayers, Tux & Pesca will have their paws crossed for you as well. :)

Felix
10-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family.Hope your feeling well again soon.

Christiansmommy
10-27-2005, 06:02 PM
I haven't been on in a while...so I am just reading this...

I had excessive Braxton Hicks with Christian around the same time as you are having them. They told me the same thing, lots of water and to lay down and rest...if they didnt go away with lots of water to call them. Well, I had 8 in one hour...so I got admitted, they checked the cervix...still completely closed and they they gave me a shot of something to stop them, while in the hospital. After that, I had to take Procardia once a day until 37 weeks, then they took me off it it, and I still didnt go into real labor until 40 weeks...so anyway, I know it can be scary, but if they worsen, maybe ask your doc about procardia...( i think that is how it is spelled). Pregnancy is an amazing experience, but can be so nerve racking all at the same time! Good luck! Kepp us posted.

Robyn