PDA

View Full Version : pet insurence

Flatcoatluver
10-23-2005, 01:19 PM
With everything going on with t.j were now considering pet insurece i was wondering if anyone had it?? if so do you like it? IS it useful??

beeniesmom
10-23-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't have it either but probably will need it since Frankie has to go to the vet frequently. Any advice would help me too.

K9karen
10-24-2005, 12:44 AM
Absolutely! I use VPI. I got it for Cody when he was 4 weeks old. I have the superior plan. It paid for almost the entire huge bill when Cody was dying from cancer. You can't use it with a pre-existing condition. The price goes up yearly based on the dog's age. You have to pay the vet then submit a form. Thankfully I haven't needed it for Logan yet, and pray that I don't. I'm still glad I have it. I think the website is www.vpi.com

Craftlady
10-24-2005, 03:48 AM
Yes, well worth it :)

Pawsitive Thinking
10-24-2005, 05:00 AM
After my experience with Cally (large vet bills after 14 healthy years!) I decided to insure both Tobey and Brody.... hopefully this will mean that they will be the healthiest animals ever and I won't have to make any claims ;)

Jessika
10-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I've asked this same question on a number of other pet forums I post on and while VPI seems to be popular and the best choice as far as insurance goes, I've had an overwhelming response that you're just better off opening a savings account and putting money away in it every week or month or so to cover vet expenses instead of paying $40 a month (for me it would be about $40 for two dogs) if you aren't even going to need it. It's just a personal preference though. :)

beeniesmom
10-24-2005, 11:14 AM
I've asked this same question on a number of other pet forums I post on and while VPI seems to be popular and the best choice as far as insurance goes, I've had an overwhelming response that you're just better off opening a savings account and putting money away in it every week or month or so to cover vet expenses instead of paying $40 a month (for me it would be about $40 for two dogs) if you aren't even going to need it. It's just a personal preference though. :)

Thats probably a good idea.
I think I'll start saving a little bit in a separate account every month, like you said.

Flatcoatluver
10-24-2005, 02:04 PM
ok I think i better start saving i wouldn't want anything bad to happen to the dogs,a nd have no money to pey for it.

Uabassoon
10-24-2005, 03:29 PM
I read about it on consumer reports and it said that you are better off just saving money. However if you are the type of person that isn't good at saving money then getting insurance might be good for you.

Flatcoatluver
10-24-2005, 11:22 PM
yeah i better do some more reserch before signing up for one.

K9karen
10-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Saving the money makes great sense. But knowing me, I'd use it for something else in an emergency. I guess it's a lot like Long Care Health Insurance. You can invest lots of money but never need it. Personally, I feel better that a certain amount is being deducted from my checking account every month and I plan for it. It's just a matter of preference. But even though I had to use a charge card to pay for Cody's bills, I got the majority of it back, and it was so sudden, I doubt I would have had that amount saved up anyway.

ChrisH
10-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Bob is elegible for a charity insurance plan which is free, but as I can only have one pet on it I took out a paid insurance scheme for Ebby. I was so glad I had when she needed the tail surgery.