PDA

View Full Version : Couple Arrested for Animal Abuse Involving Hurricane Katrina Dogs

QueenScoopalot
10-23-2005, 09:40 AM
http://www.kait8.com/Global/story.asp?S=4016010&nav=0jsh
:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(
Two Arkansans Arrested After Animal Abuse Scandal

GAMALIEL--Two people who ran an animal rescue operation in north Arkansas have been arrested after hundreds of dogs, some rescued from Hurricane Katrina, were found on the
couple's property with sores and living in cramped cages.

Baxter County Sheriff John Montgomery says sheriff's deputiesfound one dog dead, another with a broken leg, and many sickly dogs when they executed a search warrant yesterday and arrested the
owners. He estimated that 400 to 500 dogs were on the two-acre lot in rural Baxter County, including 50 pit bulls recently rescued from Louisiana in the aftermath of the hurricane. He said about 75 dogs were running loose.

Forty-one-year-old William Hanson and his wife 38-year-old Tammy Hanson were arrested on misdemeanor charges of animal cruelty. Each posted a one-thousand-dollar bond and were released from custody. The couple were told not to return to their property. The Hansons
could not be reached today for comment.

A sign on the property read E.D.N.A.H. Animal Rescue and Sanctuary. The sheriff said volunteers and a veterinarian were tending to the dogs today and the animals may be sent to different
animal shelters and rescue groups around the country. He said his goal is to reunite any pets with their owners.

jackie
10-23-2005, 10:50 AM
That is crazy. Why were they hoarding all those poor animals? :(

Karen
10-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Very sad. I'm sure it started with the notion of helping out, then things just got out of control. Sad for the people and the dogs involved, as well as all the rescuers who wil have to deal with the results.

Scooby4
10-23-2005, 04:46 PM
This sounds like another typical case of no one seeing the abuse for the "help". I've seen many other "helpful" people or "rescue operators" that do not properly take care the animals. Their "kindness" makes a great publicity shot to the press and on TV but if anyone looked closer they see the abuse. :mad:
How do you determine it was their abuse and not the results of the storm? These animals rescued from the storm are hard to determine where the injuries were sustained. However, it is the clear neglect of medical care that should indicate real abuse.
I am just glad someone was able to contact the authorities and get something done properly. I know of a place here that I wish they'd do something about. However, they know the system just enough so they don't get busted. :mad: That is what hurts the most. :(

QueenScoopalot
10-25-2005, 09:51 AM
This link...pictures...says it all. :( :mad: :( I wonder how many displaced hurricane families have been looking in vain for their dogs. :(
http://www.mhpets.com/hanson/

Van10
10-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Some "sanctuary" :rolleyes: :mad:

lvpets2002
10-27-2005, 11:32 AM
:( :( Yes I would state that by the pictures & the story THINGS GOT OUT OF HAND ALRIGHT = HOW DISGUSTING :mad: :mad:

Jessika
10-27-2005, 11:41 AM
YAY I'M SO GLAD THEY WERE ARRESATED!! Someone posted about EDNAH on Dogster and I was so absolutely disgusted! I'm glad justice was brought from this!!!

Thsi is the website I went to with horrible, horrible pictures and conditions these animals were living in!!!
http://www.forpitssake.org/ednah.html

I'M SO HAPPY they were brought to justice!! :)