PDA

View Full Version : L.A. question

AmberLee
10-23-2005, 05:34 AM
I have a vague memory of reading an article about a sculptress who believed there should be angel statues in the city of "the queen of city of the angels" -- Los Angeles. It seemed like she'd decided to place some odd thousand statues of angels around the city... gilded, I seem to recall. At the time the article was written, several hundred had been 'hidden' in plain sight around the city, especially at skyline locations. It seemed several more were to be placed each week until what-ever thousand she'd decided on were up.

I know I've looked for them each of my 4 or 5 last visits there, and not seen a thing... :rolleyes: they could be elusive, or my memory's bum, or that the city officals have removed them ... In preparation for my trip there next month, I did a web search to find more info on them, but kept coming up with the Angels' Stadium (nope, that's not it) or a recent special charity fund-raiser with multiple artist's concepts of variations on a specific angel (interesting, but that's not it, either),

Does anyone know what I'm babbling about? Could you provide more info so I could do a specific search? Have any of you seen these statues? I'll be near Gini's home for a long weekend seminar, if I could spot one, I think I could know what to look for to see others.

I regret that my memory's ... well, good enough to bedevil me tantalizingly, but not good enough to help me figure out how to find these elusive statues. Thnak you for your help/suggestions.

Randi
10-23-2005, 06:48 AM
Amberlee, I found a few links, but not sure if that's what you mean. Take a look! :)

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/printable.asp?id=3455&date=4/2/2001

http://www.frazz.com/angel.htm

AmberLee
10-23-2005, 06:14 PM
...a recent special charity fund-raiser with multiple artist's concepts of variations on a specific angel (interesting, but that's not it, either)...

Thank you for trying, Randi. Great links to the recent charity angel fund-raiser angels.

At least at the time of the original article, these angels were meant to be permanently on display around LA, not for later sale for charity. I think they were all to be identical and by the same artist... :confused:

gini
10-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Amberlee, as you know, I live here - and NEVER ONCE have I seen any of the angels that you are referring to..................... :eek:

I will ask around................

RICHARD
10-28-2005, 11:39 AM
I have seen a couple of them.

They start out as a white statue and then are decorated in different ways .
Some are "mosaiced:, painted and decorated then placed in different areas..

http://www.roslin.com/Angel/angel.htm

Are these the guiys you are talking about?

AmberLee
10-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Actually, Richard, I think the ones you found are part of the same series that Randi found.

Maybe my memory is playing me false. I'll be on the lookout for the 'angels for sale for charity' instead. Maybe I'll spot some this time!