PDA

View Full Version : Pain?

PJ's Mom
10-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I have pain underneath the ribs on my left side. It only hurts if I move the wrong way and it's kind of a burning pain.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be? It's not horrible, but it's bad enough to get my attention. ;)

katienoonan
10-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Have you done any strenuous activities recently. I had a really burning in my side after playing two hours of volleyball one night.

petslover
10-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Could it be a kidney infection? Are you drinking alot of caffines. I know when I have a kidney infection it makes my lower back and my sides hurt.

Pain Stinks, I hope you get feeling better.

PJ's Mom
10-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Have you done any strenuous activities recently.

Me? Strenuous? Never. :D ;)

it's on the right, not the left. sorry. :o It's right underneath where the ribs separate in the front. :)

beeniesmom
10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
sounds like heartburn???

jackie
10-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Sounds like heartburn to me too. Lay off the coffee and spices maybe. :p

chocolatepuppy
10-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Maybe a strained muscle?

katienoonan
10-22-2005, 09:24 PM
I didn't want to say anything but it could be gas :D too. I went to the ER one time because I was having very bad pains they said it was gas after doing many many tests on me. I thought I was having appendix(sp) pains.

christa
10-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Might be your gallbladder. If the pain gets worse, you'd better get to the doctor.

Sounds exactly like the pain my SIL had recently . . . she had to have hers removed.

Ginger's Mom
10-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Ooh, sorry to hear that. I thought of appendix too, but it sounds like it may be too high. I agree with Christa, if the pain gets worse or if it is still there tomorrow you should see a doctor. Hope you are feeling better.

LeahMM
10-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Coming from the heartburn queen, I would say that is what is ailing you. I do advise you to see a doctor if it doesn't subside within a reasonable amount of time.

carole
10-22-2005, 09:48 PM
I am also a heartburn sufferer having Gastric reflux disease, for me personally the burning sensation is not where you describe at all, mine is in the middle, it sounds more like a gallbladder thing to me,(i cannot remember which side it is for sure though) but I think it is the right if my memory does not fail me ,appendix is way lower down I think, but you should really just go to a Doctor and find out for sure, if you think it is heartburn try some over the counter antacids, if it does not improve , then it is not that or more like GRD which does not respond to antacids,hope you feel better soon, pain is not a nice experience.

K9karen
10-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Acid reflux or heartburn or gas. Try Pepcid or some other OTC. Are you eating something unusual? That'll be $75. I don't take insurance. :p :D

PJ's Mom
10-23-2005, 01:01 AM
The check is in the mail. :p

Carole, it doesn't feel like heartburn to me either, but anything's possible I guess.

I always thought a bad gallbladder came with other symptoms. :confused:

NoahsMommy
10-23-2005, 02:20 AM
Your gallbladder is in the middle and sounds like its higher than where your pain is.

Does your pain get worse or better after eating?? (yes = is an organ issue)

If it hurts when you move, not when eating or laying down, it sounds like you've injured something...or it could be gas pain.

Do you ever have any reflux symptoms??

If it extends past the weekend, I'd suggest a trip to your doc's office as well.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hugs, Kelly :)

Rachel
10-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Does it hurt when you take in a deep breath? I have had pleuresy (sorry I don't know how to spell it) twice and that was right under the rib cage. Don't let this drag on. Sometime just scheduling an appointment with the doctor will be enough to cure it. ;)

RedHedd
10-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Sounds similar to what I'm giong through - similar symptoms: Pain on the right side, just under my ribs. I've gone through an ultrasound, CT scan, blood tests for liver function and all came back normal. The pain has continued so this past week my doctor ordered chest and rib X-rays and I'll get the results on Monday.

If those are normal, my next step is to go back to my plastic surgeon as that's the side where I have the breast reconstruction after a mastectomy for breast cancer. I'm just hoping the cancer hasn't returned. I just want the pain to stop!

Get it checked out - you may learn that it's just gas, but you won't know if you don't ask.

carole
10-23-2005, 02:40 PM
When I was getting checked out for my pain problems, I suspected my gall bladder, I was way out there, it was Gastric Reflux Disease, the Doctor told me the pain for gall bladder is on the right hand side, under the rib cage close to the center, you can also get polps in your gall bladder not just stones.

If you have suffered heartburn before you will have an inclination if it is similar or not, keep in mind severe heartburn can cause pain all around your upper back and shoulder,really I think you should get yourself to the Doctor smartly for a correct diagnosis,it will elimnate all your worry and it may be nothing much that can easily be treated.,hope you are feeling somewhat better today.,Keep us posted won't you? HUGS :)

PJ's Mom
10-23-2005, 04:53 PM
The pain is still there and from what I have read, it sounds like my gallbladder. :(

Guess I have no choice now but to go to the doctor. I've never had anything more than a cold, so I haven't been to the doctor in 17 years. (since my twins were born) I'm scared to death. :( :( I watched my dad die of cancer and I'm afraid of what the doctor will tell me. :(

Thanks everyone. :)

carole
10-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Gosh I really empathise with you, I am also so scared when it comes to doctors, I put up with symptons way too long, and they turned out to be nothing too serious and with medication I am doing fine, please don't worry too much, actually going and finding out what it is will be a huge relief for you really, and at least you will know what you are dealing with, we here can only go by our own experiences, so it could really be anything, and not much at all, go get the expert advice and let your mind rest easy,TAKE CARE and I hope everything goes ok for you, thinking of you and wishing you good results and no more worries or pain :) .

Ginger's Mom
10-23-2005, 09:10 PM
I understand, I don't go to the doctor's unless I have to either. But finding out what is wrong and getting started on fixing the problem is the most important thing. As Carole said, it may even make you feel better, because when you don't know your imagination can go wild. Good luck, and I will be sending out good thoughts for you.

jesse_3
10-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Well, I go to the Doctor fairly regularly, so I really can't simulate with how you feel, but I can understand it;) I'm hoping that it is nothing much..I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! (((((HUGS)))))

Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

PJ's Mom
10-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

My doctor is a good one. All my kids have seen her and I'm only going to find out about this pain and to have my cholesterol checked. I submitted my form to have an appt set for me (via email) so I should have an appt by tomorrow evening.

I'm trying to stay calm and not to worry. (((hugs)))

K9karen
10-24-2005, 12:38 AM
Please try to relax, but I know it's hard. I'm glad you're going to the doctors. Please let us know what's happening! {Hugs}

carole
10-24-2005, 02:26 AM
Good on you, you have done the right thing, I wish you all the best and hope they can find out what is the problem and you will beable to get rid of the pain and the anxiety you are feeling worrying about it, will be thinking of you, let us know how it all goes, fingers and paws crossed from across the ocean that all will be well. :)

beeniesmom
10-24-2005, 08:37 AM
You will be fine!
Let us know what they say.
HUGS!!!

RedHedd
10-24-2005, 10:57 PM
You'll be fine. At least you'll find out what's causing the pain. For me they've ruled out liver, gall bladder and now lung or rib problemss, so it's back to my plastic surgeon. It's probably the reconstruction implant after my mastectomy that's causing my pain. At least I know that process and it's not a big deal. After cancer and all those surgeries, I'm not afraid of docs at all, They've helped me get healthy again.

Keep us posted.

PJ's Mom
10-24-2005, 10:58 PM
I have an appt tomorrow at 11:30.

I'll let you know what she says. :)

*gulp*

Ginger's Mom
10-25-2005, 05:35 AM
I was pretty amused to see that you can fill out an form and get an appointment online. I have never heard of anything like that at a doctor's office before. In any case, I will be thinking good thoughts for you today, Dawn.

RedHedd
10-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Update? Status? What did the doctor say?

My plastic surgeon is sending me for yet another scan - an MRI this time. May as well, they've done everything else. Then we'll discuss surgery, which he said was a 50/50 chance of relieving my pain. :rolleyes: We'll see...

PJ's Mom
10-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks for asking. I'm sorry you're still having pain, too. :(

I have to go for a full abdominal ultrasound tomorrow at 9:45. I know they don't hurt, but I'm scared at what it will find. My pain is on the right, why did she order a full ultrasound? :(

Craftlady
10-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks for asking. I'm sorry you're still having pain, too. :(

I have to go for a full abdominal ultrasound tomorrow at 9:45. I know they don't hurt, but I'm scared at what it will find. My pain is on the right, why did she order a full ultrasound? :(

First thing comes to my mind is to look at both ovaries. Also it's kinda hard also to just ultra sound 1/2 a stomach area because of all the other organs being located throughout that area. Do whole thing and you get all organs in one shot.

PJ's Mom
10-27-2005, 10:54 AM
I just got back from having the ultrasound. She wasn't allowed to tell me anything about what, if anything she found, but she said I'll live, which is always a good thing. :D

It'll be next week before I get the results.

catnapper
10-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I know what you're feeling like right now.... I had a full series of ultrasounds Monday. I have to wait til the second week on November to hear the results. Talk about nerve wracking!

I hope your tests come back normal. If it is your gallbladder... no biggie. The surgery to remove it today is fabulous. I had mine out years ago and was up and about within a wek as if nothing ever happened. Both my parents recently had their out and recovered remarkably well (mom was seriously worried about the recovery)

PJ's Mom
10-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Is surgery the only option for a gallbladder?

I hope your tests come back normal too. Then we can party. :D

ramanth
10-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Hope the results come back normal!

On top of my Endo pain, I get these chest pains every so often. Usually under my ribcage on my leftside. Feels like someone is squeezing my heart and it sucks the air out of me. My chest and left arm won't go totally numb but they'll feel.. off.. ya know?

I've gone to the doctor in the past thinking it was a mild heart attack but the tests will come back saying it's just aches and pains.

And the one day it IS a possible heart attack, I won't know, I guess. Feh.

RedHedd
10-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Is surgery the only option for a gallbladder? I think so, but like catnapper said, it's not a biggie these days as they do it laparascopically and you're in and out in no time. I did the research on it when they were exploring me. Too bad you have to wait so long for the ultrasound results - the waiting is the worst!

catnapper
10-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Is surgery the only option for a gallbladder?

No, you can pop pills every day. My aunt chose that option and still had gallbladder attacks over the years and then eventualy got it out. I took the short route of no pill-popping and got it out as young as possible to have a better recovery, avoid it getting very badly diseased, and coming out in the end anyway.

I know what I am hoping my tests reveal -- then I DEFINATELY will party (hoping it defiately confirms early onset of menopause..... then no Mr. Monthly visitor for me! WOOOHOOO!) Right now we're worried about ovian cysts, tumors and the like. But I am being confident we're looking at an early death to my child bearing years :D :D :D

PJ's Mom
10-27-2005, 04:35 PM
The doctors office just called. The ultrasound showed gallstones and they want me to make an appt to see a surgeon to have my gallbladder removed.

:(

I can't breathe right now.

:(

Uabassoon
10-27-2005, 04:40 PM
(((hugs))) I'm sorry to hear this :( It must be so scary for you, but I know that everything will be fine.

Ginger's Mom
10-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Oh Dawn, {{{Hugs}}} to you. Operations are always scary. But at least it is something that is easily fixed. (I know that is easy for me to say, I am not having my gallbladder removed.) Sorry. :(

RedHedd
10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
The doctors office just called. The ultrasound showed gallstones and they want me to make an appt to see a surgeon to have my gallbladder removed. :( So sorry to hear this as I know the prospect of surgery can be scary. Make sure the surgeon is board certified - most are, but I didn't know way back when - I couldn't believe that they would even let a non-board certified surgeon operate but they did and I have the scars and a permanent disability left to prove it. Prayers going out your way that the whole process is uncomplicated for you.

Colby's Little Angel
10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Maybe you twisted something. When I broke my ribs, it still hurt for ages. As if it would never stop.

dogzr#1
10-27-2005, 08:38 PM
((((((HUGS)))))) Hope the surgery goes o.k and that you can party all you want! Have a quick and speedy recovery:)

PJ's Mom
10-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone. :(

Can i take you all with me to the hospital? :D

beeniesmom
10-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Oh NO!! I'm sorry to hear that. :(
Look at it this way.... a little disconfort and then you will be good as new.
I hate surgery though... HUGS!

ramanth
10-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh darling. I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I hope the procedure is quick and your recovery time even quicker. *hugs*

finn's mom
10-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Oh, man, I'm sorry to hear that you're going to have to go in for surgery. :( My mother had the same surgery done, too, a few years back. She didn't have that rough of a time of it, I hope you recover as quickly and as well as she did!

Pawsitive Thinking
10-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone. :(

Can i take you all with me to the hospital? :D

You know we'll all be with you

jazzcat
10-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Dawn, I'm just now seeing this but I'm so sorry to hear you have to have surgery. Like everyone said it's a fairly easy procedure these days. I know of someone who had the surgery due to stones on Sept. 30 and he was back to work full time in less than two weeks. I'm sure you will do just a great!

We'll all be there with you in spirit!

gini
10-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Acid reflux or heartburn or gas. Try Pepcid or some other OTC. Are you eating something unusual? That'll be $75. I don't take insurance. :p :D

$75.00 is ALL???? :eek: :eek:

When can I make an appointment? :D

ChrisH
10-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Oh, Dawn, I am sorry to hear you have to have surgery. {{hugs}} Prayers and positive thought on the way.

Chris

chocolatepuppy
10-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Everything will be ok! We'll all be with you in thought when you go to have it done! :)

gini
10-28-2005, 05:25 PM
P.J.'s Mom - I truly am sorry that you have to have surgery. Although now you know the diagnosis - can have it removed - and be well on the road to recovery in no time.

All of us will be with you in spirit and pray for a fast recovery for you.

petslover
10-28-2005, 05:34 PM
aww. I hate to hear that you have to go through surgery, but just think after you recover that pain will be gone. That surgery is very common so if I was you I wouldn't worry to much (I know that is hard to say when your the one actually having the surgery), but it'll be alright. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

carole
10-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Oh Dawn I nearly missed this update, I am truely sorry to hear you need surgery, I always suspected it might be the gall bladder from what you were describing, I have heard that the operation can be done by keyhole surgery most cases, believe me if so you will breeze through it ,My mother had her hysterectomy done this way and she was sitting up watching TV the night following her op, could not believe it myself, so take heart in knowing it might not be so bad, and I am sure you will feel much better once it is all over and you are recovered, no more of that ghastly pain you have been suffering, Good luck sweetie and I sure will be thinking of you.

PJ's Mom
10-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Thank you so much everyone. It's so nice to know there are people who care and I don't feel like I deserve any of you.

I'm waiting for them to email an appt time for me to see the surgeon sometime next week. Right now, the pain seems to be going away. I don't know if its a good thing or the calm before the storm, but for now, I'll take it. :)