PDA

View Full Version : Did You Get A Flu Shot This Year?

lizbud
10-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Every year I think about it but never did and usually end up with flu like
symptoms sometime over the winter. I've heard so many people say that
as soon as they got the shot, they got the flu anyway within a few days.

Do you get the flu shot every year?

moosmom
10-22-2005, 01:07 PM
I haven't had a flu shot in at least 8 years. Never got the flu either.

finn's mom
10-22-2005, 01:23 PM
I can't remember the last time I got one. I haven't the flu in a long time, either, though. Knock on wood.

Lady's Human
10-22-2005, 01:23 PM
My main problem with flu shots is that I HAVE to get one for the Army, I HAVE to get one for the PO (Both considered high risks of exposure), and my doc gives me one every year because I have a mild case of asthma. The only one that will accept the fact that I have already gotten a flu shot and don't need another one is the civilian doc, so I wind up getting 2 shots annually. Gee, thanks.

I normally don't feel ill from the shot, but every once in a while I do wind up feeling under the weather for a day or two after the shot.

Killearn Kitties
10-22-2005, 01:31 PM
I've never had the jab myself, but my mum now gets it every year. She was never suseptible to colds, but after having chemotherapy a number of years ago, which destroys your immune system, she ended up with a really bad cold every winter. She started getting the flu jab a while ago and she has not had any symptoms in the years she has been getting it.

prechrswife
10-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I've never gotten one before, but hubby and I will both be getting one this year since we'll be traveling to China in early 2006. They are just starting them here this week for people who aren't "high risk."

CagneyDog
10-22-2005, 01:51 PM
I had it once and I got really sick right after it, I'm never going to have it again.

Edwina's Secretary
10-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Last year was the first year in a long time I did NOT get one. Due to the shortage. I am a big believer in the value. You cannot get sick from the vaccination as it is a killed virus.

sirrahbed
10-22-2005, 01:59 PM
I just received my letter today - that says I have to get mine on Nov 9 or 10 (considered high risk for kidney disease)

I don't remember when I last had the flu and do sometimes feel droopy right after the shot - I really do not like to get it at all! Supposedly the vaccine is "dead" and will not cause symptoms but I sure feel them. All in my had? I don't think so!!

Lady's Human
10-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Straight from the horses mouth on the flu vaccine (the doc)....

You cannot GET the flu from the vaccine, but it is entirely possible to have a reaction to the vaccine that makes you ill, in some cases extremely ill.

Lady's Human
10-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Disclaimer on the above post.....

Regardless of the minor risk of a reaction to the vaccine, it is still far, far better to get vaccinated than to not do so.

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-22-2005, 03:27 PM
This year was one of the first years I didn't get the flu shot...dunno why though, mom just decided not to. :)

lizbud
10-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Well, I decided to go ahead and get the shot. They were offering them
at a local pharmacy & it was very convenient. We'll see if it helps this season.

jackie
10-22-2005, 07:27 PM
My main problem with flu shots is that I HAVE to get one for the Army

Ughhh, that must be horrible to have no say in what goes into your body.

I have never had a flu shot (at least since I can remember) and I never get sick. Just lucky I guess. The flu is making the rounds here now, so watch me get it after bragging that I never get sick. Haha.

carole
10-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Well I have tossed with the idea for some years now, and I think this year I probably will have it , with the threat of a pandemic on the way, I am feeling somewhat frenzied about it all.

catnapper
10-22-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm one of those lucky ones who used to get the flu shot and STILL end up with the flu (as you know, it doesn't cover every strain of the flu... so I'd always get wqhatever flu the shot didn't cover :rolleyes: ) I haven't had it in years, and I get the flu just like always.

k9krazee
10-22-2005, 10:21 PM
I've never gotten a flu shot :o

G535
10-22-2005, 10:26 PM
I never get the flu, am a chronic asthmatic and don't get a flu shot. The regular flu shot is no protection against the "bird 'flu".

neko1
10-22-2005, 10:37 PM
I get a bad allergic reaction to it, so I don't get it.

krazyaboutkatz
10-23-2005, 12:26 AM
I usually always get one and I can't remember the last time that I had the flu. I plan on getting one this year too and it's free for me since I have Kaiser. :) I hate getting shots but I think that getting the flu is much worse.

K9karen
10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Liz, I always got a flu shot. The very first time, I felt a bit ill the next day,but because there was a huge outbreak (can't remember the year)[COLOR=Indigo], the doctor thought I had the flu anyway, but just a milder case. From that time on, I never ever had a reaction or had the flu. Knock on Wood. In 2004, my doctor was only giving them to patients 65 and older, or chronically ill. I got one for my mom, and although I home cared her, I wasn't eligible (yes, I ranted and raved!). This year, it's the same issue. A pharmacy nearby is giving them next week. I'll have to get there super early and I will. I'm hoping there's no age restriction.

PJ's Mom
10-23-2005, 01:23 AM
No flu shot here. I should probably get one, but I never do. Some day I'll regret it, I'm sure. ;)

NoahsMommy
10-23-2005, 01:54 AM
Last year was the first year in a long time I did NOT get one. Due to the shortage. I am a big believer in the value. You cannot get sick from the vaccination as it is a killed virus.
EXACTLY...you cannot get sick from the virus itself, its dead.

You may have a reaction, but you wont get the flu FROM the flu shot.

I work in a hospital and with all the sick patients we come into contact with, we are encouraged to get a flu shot. I just signed up for one. It'll be the first time I get the flu shot...as I've normally been healthy with my "super immune system" ;)

ChrisH
10-23-2005, 04:04 AM
I have been getting a flu shot each year for a number of years and I had this years just last month. Here in the UK we in the 'at risk' category are actively urged to do so.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-23-2005, 06:20 AM
I try to get one every year. But this year I haven't got it yet, because I am having a severe cold...!
But, last year I lost lots of confidence in this shot: only my daughter Indra and I got the shot; guess who got the flue??? Yup yup: only Indra and I :rolleyes: :mad:
The doc says I MUST have it, being hight risk.... :(

Rachel
10-23-2005, 11:23 AM
My husband and I got ours last Wednesday and I have suffered no ill effects from it. For many years I avoided getting these shots but after having two years where I actually got the flu (and it was horrible) I have definitely become a convert.

RedHedd
10-23-2005, 11:54 AM
I fall into the high risk category and get a flu shot every year, when I can. Last year was the only exception. My employer offers them to us, so it's easy for me. Almost everyone in the firm got them. We're exposed to all our clients.

This year was the first time I had any kind of reaction to the shot - felt ill the evening after, but that was it. Believe me, I'd rather endure one evening of yuckiness than battling the flu. I got it one year and suffered miserably. Not being able to breathe and feeling like c**p is not fun!

joycenalex
10-24-2005, 08:02 PM
i got my flu shot last week. since i'm an x-ray tech, i'm seeing a lot of sick and coughing people every winter and fall(not many yet this season), but it does make my arm achy for a day or so.

Karen
10-24-2005, 08:08 PM
I'll get mine on Friday, because my doctor makes me! Just because I've been hospitalized twice for my asthma as an adult ...

The only time I ever had the flu, I got in on the way out of the hospital from major surgery. I had no idea it was the flu, just thought it was part of the recovery process!

caseysmom
10-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I had to go into the doctor today with an eye infection. Got in all kinds of trouble for not going to the doc in years....my dogs go twice a year :eek:

Anyhow he made me have a mammogram and a flu shot and I have an order for blood tests for cholesteral...this is my fourth flu shot, 4 years ago I did feel kind of icky the night of the shot...today its been 8 hours and so far so good.

I could start a whole thread about mammograms :o

joycenalex
10-25-2005, 06:10 AM
I could start a whole thread about mammograms :o[/QUOTE] okay, lets!

krazyaboutkatz
10-25-2005, 11:44 PM
I just got my flu shot this morning at Kaiser and it only took about 5 minutes. Best of all it was free. :) So far I feel fine but my arm is a bit sore where the shot was given.
My boss has also offered it at work for the last 3 years but we still have to pay $12.50 so since I was able to get it for free this year I did it on my own. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
10-26-2005, 07:51 AM
I've never gotten one and won't this year either. I never get the flu anyway. I sometimes get a little cold, but never the flu. (That said I'll probably get it this year.)

In 2004, my doctor was only giving them to patients 65 and older, or chronically ill. I got one for my mom, and although I home cared her, I wasn't eligible (yes, I ranted and raved!).

Last year my boss was able to get one because she was the sole caregiver for her 88 year old mom. Her doctor (same doctor as mine) was only giving them to people who were high risk. Although she wasn't high risk he didn't want her to get sick because she has to care for her mom, so he gave her one. That stinks that you weren't able to get one.

ramanth
10-26-2005, 08:30 AM
I haven't recieved a flu shot in years either. I figure I'm young and healthy and if I get sick I can deal with it accordingly. Especially since in these past years there has seemed to be a shortage, so I figured my shot can go towards a child or elderly that need it.

I've gotten colds and sinus infections in years past, but never the flu.

Samantha Puppy
10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
A voluntary shot? Puh-leeze. I never get a flu shot and it usually doesn't matter as I haven't gotten the flu in about 6 years now. Besides, I don't think I'm allowed to as I'm pregnant anyway... darn the luck. ;)

Needles = evil

Maresche
10-26-2005, 09:47 AM
My Ob demanded I get a flu shot last year as I was more than 4 months along during the height of flu season.

I'm planning to get mine tonight. It's recommended with young children in the household. Mimi gets the 2nd half of hers tomorrow.

Samantha Puppy
10-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Really? Hm. I didn't think they'd want you shooting live strains of flu into your body when someone else is inhabiting it. My OB hasn't said a word about it and since I don't have that much longer to go, I'm not worried about it... not that I am any other time. Like I said - voluntary needles and me do not mix.

lizbud
10-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Really? Hm. I didn't think they'd want you shooting live strains of flu into your body when someone else is inhabiting it. .

It isn't a live virus, it's a killed virus to spark the immune system into action.

Logan
10-26-2005, 10:19 AM
I have only had them twice, I think, and it was probably 20 years ago when I did because it was offered free by the company I was working for. Helen and I had the flu at the same time about 8 years ago, but that's the only time I can remember really being sick in the last 20+ years.

Logan

Maresche
10-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Really? Hm. I didn't think they'd want you shooting live strains of flu into your body when someone else is inhabiting it. My OB hasn't said a word about it and since I don't have that much longer to go, I'm not worried about it... not that I am any other time. Like I said - voluntary needles and me do not mix.

If your Dr. hasn't mentioned it, don't worry about it. I wasn't nearly as far along as you are when I got my shot last October.

PJ's Mom
10-26-2005, 10:43 AM
I had to go into the doctor today with an eye infection. Got in all kinds of trouble for not going to the doc in years....my dogs go twice a year :eek:

I went to the doctor yesterday for the first time since 1988. When I told her that, she cringed. :D I asked the nurse if he recommends the flu shot for the average person and he said unless it's free no. He said there are so many strains of the flu going around, you're unlikely to be protected from all of them. ;) I never get one anyway, I was just curious. :)

Queen of Poop
10-26-2005, 02:09 PM
I got my flu shot 1 hour ago. This is the 3rd year of having it. 4 years ago I got the flu and had to stay home from work for 5 days and man was I sick. My throat hurt so badly to breathe or swallow. I sat on the couch and sucked crushed ice for days. What convinced me to get the shot was this horrible experience PLUS the fact that I could have infected my best friend at work (who was 60ish) and that could have killed her. We both pledged to get the shots every year after that because our friendship meant that much. I've never had any adverse affects or felt poorly. I was even allowed to have the shot today with a nasty cold, because I wasn't feverish. So for those of you who figure you're healthy and don't need a shot that's cool, but consider if you get it who will you infect with it, your elderly parents, your grandparents - if they've not had the shot - yikes, it could be deadly. I figure better to be safe.

RICHARD
11-21-2005, 06:44 PM
The flu shot almost killed my dad and this last one put me down for one whole week.

I also got the measles from a rubella shot.

Now the side effects weren't as drastic as getting the flu...

it was worse!!!

Yeah it is a DEAD version of the flu.....but it is the flu.....

And any thing that isn't supposed to be in your blood stream will increase the
antibody production in you body...therefore, you are fighting an infection/disease.

Trust me, I saw it in a book! :confused: :eek: :p :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
11-21-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm sorry to hear this Richard. :( I didn't get sick from the flu shot. I did,however, have a sore arm and a bruise from the shot but it took about 2 weeks for my arm to feel sore which I thought was strange and then it went away in couple of days.

Kaiser is out flu shots in my area but they're supposed to get more in at a later date. Other clinics may also be out of them.

Corinna
11-22-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm like Richard give me the vaccine and I get what ever it is. Weird thing is non of us is allergy to eggs but get the whooping cough vaccine within ten feet the kids and I start getting fevers. Both my sef and kids tried 1st one spiked a 103 temp in 10 mintues. non of that for us.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-22-2005, 03:04 AM
I am going to the doctor inabout 1 hour. I will ask him to give me my flu shot (I have it here in my fridge)