PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in Flight

tatsxxx11
03-22-2002, 06:32 PM
I came across this while reading my weekly "The Straight Poop." I thought this info. might come in handy in futrue PT rescue attempts such as Operation Rescue Maddie. I was shocked to read of the size restriction!

The Straight Poop FEATURED WEB SITE

I've often wondered how Katie, my Siberian Husky, would do in an airplane
cabin. I'm afraid I'll never find out, though, 'cause she won't fit in a
17" by 8" crate. Here are all the Airline Pet Regulations for the major
North American airlines, with summaries of each airline's rules, their
telephone numbers and links to their web sites, at Pets on the Go. Happy
landings!

Link: <http://www.petsonthego.com/transairlineregs.html>
AOL: <a href="http://www.petsonthego.com/transairlineregs.html">Fetch Link

Edwina's Secretary
03-25-2002, 04:21 PM
This is something I meant to (and may have) brought up during "Operation Maddie." Just about a year ago my brother was trying to get a King Charles from Washington D.C. to Chicago for my mother. (He is a vet with the FDA.) The only way he could transport the dog was in the cabin under his seat if she was 25 lbs or less! She wasn't. He and my parents met halfway.

For many reasons, including the litigious atmosphere of our society, airlines have become VERY hesitant to transport live animals.

mugsy
03-28-2002, 10:43 AM
WOW, how things have changed since we got Dudley. Barbara bought a large airline approved crate and shipped via Kitty Hawk Cargo and we had no problems (until I went to pick him up and they had just left him in the middle of everything scared to death). My friend works for Kitty Hawk, so let me talk to her and see if they have made any restrictions.

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-01-2002, 03:34 PM
I was told that if the dog weighed 16 (that included the crate), then they could ride in th cabin, otherwise they had to be wit hthe cargo. Drake was about 60 lbs when we took him to Paris with us. He rode with the cargo. We flew Air France. Needless to say, he didn't like that at all.

Logan
04-11-2002, 08:23 AM
Just came across this interesting article on the cost of flying pets. Thought it might fit under this subject.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/737000.asp

:)

Dixieland Dancer
04-11-2002, 11:17 AM
I actually had a guy who lived in California wanting to buy one of Dixie's puppies when she had them. He wanted me to fly the pup out to him and he would pay expenses. I basically told him to go fly a kite (in nicer words though.) I would never fly a 8 week old pup in Cargo. For that matter, I don't think I will ever fly Dixie or Dusty in Cargo. If they go with me then we will drive! Even if it takes days to get there!!! :rolleyes:

kobieeli
04-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Back in the good ol' days (the 70s) when I was young, we were able to put our small beagle in a crate and take her on board. She weighed about 22 lbs and the crate wouldn't fit under the seat, but the flight attendants let my folks put her crate sideways against my 4-yr.-old brother's seat and he'd rest his feet on top. (We also took my tortoise, Charlie, on many flights--he was happy in a good-sized shoebox and got LOTS of curious attention!)

Nowadays, airlines are so strict. Basically, anything bigger than a Pekingese is too big for the cabin. It's a shame, too, because flying in cargo can't be very healthy or enjoyable for pets. :(