PDA

View Full Version : Sick Rabbit *updated with pics*

jackie
10-22-2005, 08:03 AM
This morning I woke up and found that my rabbit, Hunny, is ill. Her stool is really soft (not liquid, but not the usual hard pellets either), she is sneezing, and she REALLY smells bad.

I can't take her to the vets until monday, but is there anything I can do to make her comfortable until then? :(

Can I buy her something from the pharmacy to help her stomach?

buttercup132
10-22-2005, 01:22 PM
hmm im not sure...umm i can ask some people on my bunny board see what they say i know there is something i just cant think of the name...

buttercup132
10-22-2005, 01:23 PM
try putting a hot water bottle on her tummy but obviously not pure hot water just warm enough to soothe her

jackie
10-22-2005, 06:25 PM
:( I tried that with an oven warmed towel, she just wasn't interested at all.

She is still active and bouncing around, but the smell is sick! I don't want to stress or chill her by giving her a bath.

buttercup132
10-22-2005, 07:03 PM
ok some1 said that she needs to be started on antibotics and maybe even a iv fluid and they want to know if shes eating if you cant see if she is then try giving her some veggies if she refuses them its not good and she said is there a emergency vet you can take her to? cuz you should its not as serious for a dog or something but when a bun becomes sick there body cant handle it very well and need to see a vet asap

areias
10-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Remember this: bunnies are not as far along domesticated as dogs and cats are. Therefore, in the wild, they cannot be seen as sick or another animal may notice this and they will be more prone to be eaten. By the time the rabbit is showing obvious symptoms of being sick...its usually very sick. It's good that she's active though. I would suggest not giving her a bath...there is probably a reason she smells that way. Get her to the vet or someone who knows about rabbits...depending on where you get her you might be able to call them. Or even call a petstore that carries rabbits. They'll be able to tell you something.

jackie
10-22-2005, 08:51 PM
She is still eating and acting normal. I have been keeping a close eye on her all day, and everything is as normal, just the soft stools and runny nose.

I cannot take her to the vets until monday, when we get a car, at the moment we only have the motorcycle.

buttercup132
10-23-2005, 04:03 PM
taxi?

Karen
10-23-2005, 04:17 PM
You can clean just her bottom with a damp washcloth, that'll help her be more comfortable and less stinky, but it won't be as stressful as a b-a-t-h. Just keep telling her you love her.

Has her diet changed at all recently?

jackie
10-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Nope, she is eating the same pellet and veg diet I have had her on since I got her about 6 months ago. I keep watching my other rabbit for signs of illness, but he is he same old grumpy self. I have them apart now, just to be safe.

jackie
10-23-2005, 06:14 PM
I just gave her a quick wipe down, and it didn't seem to help much. She is white and her bottom is stained brown now, I think that may have to grow out. One thing I noticed is that her vagina has swollen balls almost like testicles. Is that normal??? Maybe she is in heat? :confused:

Karen
10-23-2005, 06:33 PM
How old is she? Has she not been spayed? Cut out the veggies for now, and just give her pellets, see if her poop firms back up.

Never give a bunny pharmacy medicine without a veterinarian's orders. Bunnies have very delicate digestive systems, and cannot throw up.

To the vet Monday in any case!

jackie
10-23-2005, 06:59 PM
She is under a year old. I was going to spay her soon after I got her, but I hurt my knee and have been off work for almost six months, and frankly I don't have the extra 100 bucks right now. My male bunny has been fixed, so there will be no little ones running around.

It's late evening here now, so we will be off to the vets in about 12 hours. Fingers crossed for my girl please.

Karen
10-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Absolutely fingers crossed for her. She and you will be in our prayers. At least she's still active, so she can't be TOOOOO sick!

Ask the vet if they have any low-cost, or payment plan spay options available, as unspayed females are prone to several health problems, including ovarian cancer.

jackie
10-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Ok, back from the vets.

I found out that Hunny is a HE not a she. :o When we bought her, both me and the shop lady thought he was a girl, guess we were wrong. :rolleyes:

The vet gave Hunny an antibiotic injection, a prescription for his diarrhea, and for liquid Echineacea. She is also ordering a special topical cream because one of hunny's paws has a little skin irritation.

She says Hunny doesn't seem very sick, and will probably be 100% in less then a week. We are going back in on thursday afternoon, just for a check up. :D

Karen
10-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Ok, back from the vets.

I found out that Hunny is a HE not a she. :o When we bought her, both me and the shop lady thought he was a girl, guess we were wrong. :rolleyes:

The vet gave Hunny an antibiotic injection, a prescription for his diarrhea, and for liquid Echineacea. She is also ordering a special topical cream because one of hunny's paws has a little skin irritation.

She says Hunny doesn't seem very sick, and will probably be 100% in less then a week. We are going back in on thursday afternoon, just for a check up. :D

Guess that explains the lumps! :) Whew, glad your Hunny-boy isn't that sick! And, while I know you'll get him *fixed* when you can afford to, at least he's a boy, and the consequences of being unneutered aren't quite as dire!

jackie
10-24-2005, 10:29 AM
^ I also asked my vet about a payment plan for getting Hunny neutered and she said she would let me pay it out over a month, but it is better to wait until he is fully recovered.

Anyway, I spent a fortune in there today, like always. Another 60 euros for the neuter wont make that much of a difference. :rolleyes:

buttercup132
10-24-2005, 07:26 PM
i dont belive ive seen your buns could u post pics?

jackie
10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't have too many on the computer, but her are the few I have.
Bunny is black and Hunny is white.

These are from last spring, so Bunny is a bit bigger now.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p072cdff67e1a51e196ee4e0daaff9776/f52cd0c2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p25d80e44be84d64c6adecf4270f5b4cc/f4ef62ca.jpg
Bunny's new cage, as a consolation prize for getting neutered (and to make room for Hunny).

Bunny and Hunny's first meeting. They really didn't like each other.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid183/p2b05d8e10224550c94a44febce5e0e92/f2aac011.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid183/p2981ef96c97548517acf77b773c18e33/f2aabf4b.jpg

Bo and Hunny LOVE each other. I am surprised Bo is so gentle, he is really rough with everyone else, except the rabbits.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid183/p7dc74265e9a3ff9894b019cddbaaa588/f2aabee2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid183/p31b05ad55b99f75403b2b5dc32c8b956/f2aabe81.jpg

Friends at last.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid190/pec8c35c78c6bba9cc14165b2772298db/f1f90d01.jpg

Last week I just built them a little enclosure in the kitchen, so I wouldn't have to watch them constantly when they are loose. Hunny is still small enough to escape through the holes, but "she" always runs straight under the dog's couch. I will post pics soon.

crazy_caique
10-26-2005, 01:30 PM
The pic of Bo and Hunny is cute. :D

buttercup132
10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
lol that might be why they werent freinds at first because they are both boys, is bunny a lion head he sure looks it

jackie
11-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Poor Hunny. Last night we had to take her to the vets again, and she spent the night there. She has a really snotty nose, and mega skin irritation on her ears/feet. I just picked her up this morning, and together with the vet gave her an injection. Now I have to give her a shot for the next 4 days, and go back to the vet for a checkup on friday. I am going to take Bunny in on friday just to be on the safe side.

dab_20
11-07-2005, 10:49 AM
good for you, you sure care alot about your rabbits! i really hope nothing is seriously wrong and everything will be back to normal soon. bunny looks like a lion head. and huney is a neat color. what cute pics, and again, hope huney gets better!