PDA

View Full Version : Cats being returned. :(

jenluckenbach
10-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Our cat rescue has a return policy (as many do) that if for any reason you can no longer keep your adoptees they need to come back to us. This has been happening at an alarming rate recently. :(

The most recent will be Squirrel and Enoch who were fostered with me and adopted 14 months ago! (Tony Tiger and Dixie were also returned last month). I was unable to foster Tony and Dixie but Squirrel and Enoch will be comeing here this evening.

Remember this sweet face?
Squirrel
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/Squirrel7-10-04.jpg

and this cat?
Enoch
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/Enoch8-15-2004.jpg

I'll update some time tonight after they arrive. How sad. :(:(

Grace
10-22-2005, 07:02 AM
adopted 14 months ago!

I'm so glad these kitties have a place to go, but WHY, after 14 months, are they being returned? What sort of reasons are the adoptive parents providing?

Poor babies - :(

orangemm
10-22-2005, 07:09 AM
My heart breaks for these two sweet kitties; how could someone give them up? I don't think I was around here that long ago, but those two I would remember! Poor little guys; they must be so confused. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :( :( :( :(

moosmom
10-22-2005, 07:23 AM
I'm so glad these kitties have a place to go, but WHY, after 14 months, are they being returned? What sort of reasons are the adoptive parents providing

That was my exact same thought!!! Either way, I'm SO glad they're coming home to you, Jen.

That's a wonderful policy to have, unfortunately cats DO come back for whatever reasons. But it does prevent more unwanted cats from being abandoned where they have to fend for themselves.

Good luck, Jen. If you need to vent, you've got my number.

K & L
10-22-2005, 08:09 AM
It's too bad the adoptions didn't work out, but good that they took enough responsibilty to return than just abandon or get rid of. Hopefully they will find another home real soon.

smokey the elder
10-22-2005, 08:14 AM
When someone does that in my organization unless there's a VERY good reason (usually incompatibility with another pet, in which case they often exchange) they go on a permanent Do Not Adopt list which is shared with other local rescuers.

I think those two sweeties will get adopted again real soon!

tricollie4me
10-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Gosh, that's a tough one -- 14 months after being adopted, and now this pair is being returned? I wonder what happened...do fill us in when you know more. That said, I too am grateful you can take them in and keep them safe, happy and healthy until another adoption of this cute duo can take place.

chocolatepuppy
10-22-2005, 09:36 AM
That's so sad. :( I wish people would think before they get pets! :( Thank goodness at least they're safe. I hope they find a wonderful home together.

catnapper
10-22-2005, 09:39 AM
I heard Jen. I'm so sorry. I knew this would brek your heart.

I can answer WHY they are being returned: their child "developed allergies" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That excuse must be the most convenient excuse. Either they are stupid, or they think we are. I wish for once someone would tell the truth. "My kid is a brat and pulls their tails. The cats don't like it and scratch at him" or "My mom is sick, moving in with us... I'm freaking out right now and I can't handle a baby, a sick mom and two kittns right now!" WHY can't they be HONEST? nooooo... they bame the elusive allergies. :mad: Yes, sometmes thats true, but come on.... it is used all the time!

catmandu
10-22-2005, 09:44 AM
The Sda thing is that people adore Kittens,but not as fond of Cats.
People are so jaded now a days,they get tired of things,so very quickly,and that sadly applies,to thier Companion Animals.
Ans when they actually have to work,or actually take responsibility for thier Pets,then its too much bother.
I am just glad that Gary,and Ivon have found wonderful Furr Ever Homes,and we pray for Pouncette,that she finds one very soon.
My Namesake.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/garywatercolor.jpg

moosmom
10-22-2005, 09:55 AM
they bame the elusive allergies. Yes, sometmes thats true, but come on.... it is used all the time!

I get SOOOOO pissed when I hear people give the excuse they've developed allergies after having a cat for such a long time. Like you said, just be honest. We're not stupid.

:mad: :mad: The classic one I've ever heard was with a 15 year old cat (remember Pookie???) from the Dearborn Animal Shelter. "She doesn't play with my kids anymore." (as the kid is cluthing her sobbing, begging the Mom not to get rid of her) :mad: :mad: Now THAT is the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

I'll always remember Pookie. "Svelte" old girl who just wanted to be loved and was depressed when her family dumped her. Then on top of all that, the shelter killed her "for the cage space and nobody wants a 15 year old cat!" :mad:

My eyes leak just thinking about that, and the fact that I didn't get there fast enough.

CalliesMom
10-22-2005, 10:46 AM
:( How sad. I cannot imagine having an animal for over a year and then giving them back..it would break my heart. Poor kitties but at least they are being returned instead of being dumped somewhere.

Killearn Kitties
10-22-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm so sorry, Jen. Poor babies. :(

Karen
10-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Hey, to be fair, some kids DO develop allergies! My sister became allergic to the family cat when she was four, ended hospitalized with pneumonia. Kitty went to live with Grandpa on his farm. Then I was born, and I was not allergic to cats, I couldn't wait until my sister (5 years older than me) moved out we could get a cat. I played with cats, snuggled them, etc. Then, when I was 12, I suddenly became allergic to cats - had a sleepover at the house across the street, the kitten slept on my pillow, and I woke up with a full-blown asthma attack. Tested, yup. Cat allergy. Sigh.

Just saying, to defend the poor people who DO have allergic kids.

jazzcat
10-22-2005, 11:03 AM
That is so sad. :( :( I know that the allergy thing does happen and if that is truly the reason the family is probably heartbroken. I also know it is an overused excuse.

Freckles
10-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Alergies was the reason Freckles was at the Oregon Humane Society when I was looking for a kitty in 1988! She was about three years old, and she's still with me. :)

catnapper
10-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Karen, I am well aware people DO have REAL allergies to cats. My own mom has BAD allergies to the cats. She can visit me, but she has to take a Benedryl as soon as sghe enters the house and she cannot touch them. If she does, her face starts swelling, and then her throat starts to close. Very scary, very real.

BUT.... do you realize how many times a month we hear the "my kids are allergic" story? It seems EVERY cat returned has that excuse. It is convenient and easy to say, without having to admit another, more accurate reason. Truth is, I myself am allergic to my cats. So is hubby and my oldest daughter. Though my allergic reaction is tolerable, and I simply take allergy pills every day to combat the problems my allergies give me.

Research has been done and provcen that people who have cats and children, actually have a LOWER rate of bad allergies and asthma than those that do not. That is NOT to say bad allergies don't develop. Anyone can develop severe allergies at any given time. We had a cat all growing up, and mom developed her alergy when I was in my freshman year of college.

I geuss when you work in rescue and hear the excuse over and over again, you start to question the validity of it.

momcat
10-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Cats are wonderful pets, they ask so little of us but give so very much in return. Even so, there is a responsibility that comes with being a pet owner. At times I wonder if some people understand this when they adopt. While I'm sure there are legitimate reasons for returning a pet, it's disturbing that Jen says the numbers are on the rise. I'm sure that most people who adopt a pet are doing it for all the right reasons and willingly assume the responsibility that goes with it. But how many fail to understand a pet is a living being that depends on their owner to meet their needs? The love and companionship of a pet is something special, a gift to be cherished and nurtured. Maybe potential owners shoud be told of the responsibility of ownership and should adopt ONLY after careful thought and consideration of what's involved. No pet should be adopted on a whim.

catmandu
10-22-2005, 03:42 PM
They see a Cute Kitten in a cage,and fall in love.
Then after they actually have to spend money on thier Pet,or the pet soryas after not being fixed,its goodbye Cat.
Iwas sitting recently with a Creepette on the bus,whose Cats had Ten Kittens,in the last two years.
Why dony you spay her.Where do the Kittens go.
Oh I just give them away,whatever.
Buddy,they are just animals.
She smiled,and left.
Whatever,the prime word,of the Loser.Rights without Responsibilities.
Welfare Idiot Number One.Kids with different Fathers,Beer and Cigarettes come first with her.
I hope theres a HELL,to make these people pay.

Don Juan's mom
10-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Unfortunately, I'm proof that one CAN develop allergies as an adult. I have a spring pollen allergy that started only when I was in college (in the area where my family had lived for five years). And even with modern medication, I can be pretty miserable for those days in the spring.

And family circumstances can change. A lost job or medical expenses could mean that the family can't handle the expense of a pet. At least they returned the cats to a responsible agency where they will be cared for and helped to new homes.

Liz

jenluckenbach
10-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Well, the babies are here. Scared and hiding under the dresser. Wondering what they did that made their people leave them in a strange place. They came with NO carriers and in need of their booster shots. (a month over due, I might add). No remorse on the part of the father and young son who delivered them. only a $50 donation to the rescue, which I guess is better than nothing.

And Yes, it is better that they returned them to us willingly. Other adopters have been know to dump their babies on farms only for us to find out later and go retrieve them. How many have been dumped that we do not know about?? :(

I can't help but wonder what kind of lesson they are teaching their children when their animal companions are so easily dismissed.

moosmom
10-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Whatever,the prime word,of the Loser.Rights without Responsibilities.
Welfare Idiot Number One.Kids with different Fathers,Beer and Cigarettes come first with her

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at that, because it's SO true!!!

Jen,

I can't help but wonder what kind of lesson they are teaching their children when their animal companions are so easily dismissed.

They are teaching them that cats are disposable.

I'm so glad you've got them back, Jen. Although they don't understand it now, they'll come around and realize that they are in a good place where someone loves them and cares for them. You're a great person, Jen. One I respect and admire.

((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))

Donna

tricollie4me
10-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Poor little dears! Hopefully a bit of time and lots of comfort from each other and from you will help them get through this transition.

I have always wondered about pet allergies --- I have never had them and though my nephew does have mild cat allergies (he can live with them, just gets a typical mild allergic reaction), I honestly don't know much about how allergies reveal themselves, when, etc. I can say that as I review the Petfinder listings, it seems a very, very large number of available pets have become available/been surrendered due to allergies -- I admit I've wondered if these are true allergies as some of you have experienced or if they are the current "acceptable excuse of the day" (e.g., no actual allergies at all) for returning pets with as little guilt as possible... Seems like a lose/lose situation either way :(

Hope your two new fur-fosters have a restful night! Keep us posted on how they're doing.

jenluckenbach
10-22-2005, 05:32 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/C-E-L/Enoch-1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/C-E-L/Squirrel-1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/C-E-L/Squirrel10-22-05.jpg

Squirrel has come out and let me pet her. She has luscious thick fur. She even rolled over for belly rubs.

Neither cat will know their 1by1 names as they had been renamed, but I prefer their "given" names, and so they shall be called.

buttercup132
10-22-2005, 05:42 PM
aww wat poor babies thats awsful they ahd to give them back but way better then dumping them squirrle ahs grown up alot scince that picture u showed

rkidsrcats
10-22-2005, 06:29 PM
How hard for them to lose their home and all they are familiar with.
The Tribe sends them lots of whisker kisses and have paws crossed for being adopted again by a real forever home.

When I worked at the shelter on Long Island, the volunteers always said allergies was a big excuse for giving up a cat. And also moving to Florida...for a while we wondered if the state patrol was stopping cars with cats at the state line!

We agree with Gary... hopefully there is justice somewhere down the road for those who throw away such wonderful animals.
And reward for those who take them in again... thank you for being there for these kitties Jen.

jenluckenbach
10-22-2005, 06:48 PM
They have been declawed. :mad: (against their contract I might add.)

jenluckenbach
10-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Does the contract have any penalties if they do that? :(
Usually the cats are taken away. What good would that do now? I am not sure if anything can be done now. :(

lizbud
10-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Do you think greater scrutiny of prospective adopters would help?
I know some people resent all the pre adoption questions & policies,
but if it would help better the chances for a successful, lifetime home
for the cats, I definately see the need to be stricter.

jenluckenbach
10-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Do you think greater scrutiny of prospective adopters would help?
We really do have a pretty good screening policy, but people LIE and sometimes they LIE very well. :( :(

catnapper
10-22-2005, 07:06 PM
We have such a scrutiny now. We do home visits, call vet references, we make them fill out a long adoption form where we inquire about who owns their home and all. What else can we do, short of all us foster moms keeping their fosters (I don't keep them ALL ;) )

G535
10-22-2005, 07:06 PM
How horrible. Those poor kitties. Can you keep them? Seems to me they have been through enough.

lizbud
10-22-2005, 07:18 PM
We have such a scrutiny now. We do home visits, call vet references, we make them fill out a long adoption form where we inquire about who owns their home and all. What else can we do, short of all us foster moms keeping their fosters (I don't keep them ALL ;) )

Do you & Jen get to meet the adopters, or who is it that does the
interview with these folks? I guess what I mean is, is the person who
does the interview able to really get a feel about the family & their
ability to make the real commitment? I'm so sorry that these poor cats
have to go through this stuff. I guess I never really thought much about
animals being return to Shelters. It's so cruel. :(

jenluckenbach
10-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Most foster moms get to talk to potential adopters of "their" fosters. A lot of the time that same foster mom will do the home visit, but not always (location usually determines who will visit).

I guess it boils down to, we try to do our best for the animals, but sometimes our best is not good enough. :(

lizbud
10-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Most foster moms get to talk to potential adopters of "their" fosters. A lot of the time that same foster mom will do the home visit, but not always (location usually determines who will visit).

I guess it boils down to, we try to do our best for the animals, but sometimes our best is not good enough. :(

That's a sad thought, but true sometimes I guess. It's impossible to
see inside a person's heart or read their mind.I know you do your level
best for all the kitties. :)

jenluckenbach
10-22-2005, 08:01 PM
I am TOTALLY in love with Squirrel!!!! She is as sweet as I remember.

catnapper
10-22-2005, 08:02 PM
I am TOTALLY in love with Squirrel!!!! She is as sweet as I remember.
#17????????

Remember, you said you didn't want 16 cats - so we need to get you to 17 ASAP!!!

QueenScoopalot
10-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Same thing's going on at the shelter I deal with most frequently. :( But the thing that irks me the most (and several other volunteers) is if a person brings a cat back, they are put on the D.N.A list. It may be the most perfect home for a cat, or kitten, but sometimes we just can't predict which cat will match best which a family. I know there are persons who should be put on that list (do not adopt) but if that were the case...why was any cat adopted to them in the first place? :confused: I'm sorry about your babies coming back maimed Jen. :( And yes...people lie constantly to get what they want, and then the 'novelty' wears off. :mad:

krazyaboutkatz
10-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Jen, I'm sorry to hear that they've been returned and even sorrier to hear that they've also been declawed. :( Hopefully they'll be adopted soon. It sounds like Squirrel may have already found her new home. :)

rg_girlca
10-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Oh Jen, I am so sorry to hear that precious Squirrel and Enoch have been returned to you and :mad: that these people went against the policy and had them declawed. Poor babies.

I do have to say though that they have grown into such beauties.

I hope and pray that they will be adopted out soon to a new forever home and I mean FOREVER this time.