PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Stopping con artist rip off elderly

Scooby4
10-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I have an issue with a person I know to be a con person. Don't think it is all intentional. I think some of it is that he doesn't know any better. However, I don't think this should excuse him from ripping off elderly (some with alzheimers) and people on a fixed income! :mad:
Here's the issue... I lived in a Homeowner's Association and President of it. :rolleyes: However, this guy we will call "Tim" used to "control" the place before I moved in. Now Tim had quite the set-up. He'd hire most of his friends to do the work and hire himself to do some as well. All the time pocketing the money from the fund. Of course couldn't prove it because he had the accountant in his pocket as well. :mad: I managed to "outwit" him and get him out of office. (He claims he "allowed me to be "voted" in :rolleyes: ) Once I got into office I fired his friends, got him off of the bank signature list, and straighten out the place. :) The place NEVER ran better and was able to complete projects without raising a single due!!!
While I was in Office, Tim kept up his "old tricks". I didn't fall for them. His one trick he tried to "force" on me was a "rule" in our Rule book. The rules stated that "THE ASSOCIATION CAN FORCE A OWNER TO PROPERLY UPKEEP THEIR PROPERTY (HOME). FAILURE TO DO SO... THE ASSOCIATION COULD DO THE WORK AT THEIR COST AND LIEN THE OWNER THE COST OF THE WORK".
Tim operated his own "house painting" business. Essentially, he was the ONLY employee and had a paint sprayer. :rolleyes: He tried to convince me that the Association should give notice to the owner's that needed paint jobs. If the owner didn't paint the home, then Association was to "hire" him to paint the houses. He was guaranteed money either way because he advertised in the neighborhood his paint business. Most people had hired him in the past to do odd and end jobs. Pretty good scam don't you think? He'd either get the job straight out or by the association.
I wasn't dumb or blind. His paint jobs were awful and I had to redo many of his "fix it" jobs. I spent half my week answering complaint calls on Tim. :mad: All of which they viewed me as "responsible" because I was "in charge" of the Association. Even though he was hired as individual and NOT through the association.
Well, I have moved out and quit being President. However, I did still own my home there and stayed on the board for a little while. The people who took over the operations where either his girlfriend, drinking buddy, or business co-horts. The place is run terribly and is almost broke. I almost had to sue them at one point.
Anyway, about a week after I sold my house. The notices went out. The notices were sent to people that their houses "needed painting". Imagine that? A few of my friends recieved them. They were given 90 days notice to paint their homes or the Association will do it for them and lien them!!! :mad: The houses are NOT in bad condition at all. A professional painter was consulted on one and they were told the house did NOT need painting. It needed pressured washed. I've also looked up the information on the internet. ALL results pointed that houses should NOT be painted below 50 degrees and with a paint sprayer. The 90 day warning would be up in January/February the coldest months!
I've already advice 2 of my friends that got the notices to not worry about them. The association can't afford to do the work or place liens on the property. I am sure "Tim" has convinced him he would take "payments". The last job he conned them into doing he did that too them. The paint chipped off in less than a year.
What should I do? I've tried the DA's office and the licensing department. They tell me he has to be "caught" in the act. I can't get anyone to participate in that. Either they like the guy enough NOT to entrap him, or they already decided NOT to let the guy anywhere near their property. A majority of residents know his "scam" ways and still call me! I am upset by this because he ripped off one lady who had 1st stages of Alzheimers. The people who got notices are on fixed incomes or have spent over a year saving money for a paint project themselves.
Does anyone see anything officially illegal with this? Do you think he needs to be stopped? Thanks!

Lady's Human
10-21-2005, 08:36 PM
For starters, paint should NEVER be applied when the temp is going to drop below 50 degrees while it is curing. It alters the curing process and the paint does not adhere as it should, leading to more work for "tim" in a year or two. I would advise the members of the association to either take them to small claims court to stop the orders, complete with pictures and job estimates from painters stating that the homes do not need painting, or gather all the evidence and go AS A GROUP to the local authorities, again, complete with pictures and job estimates from other painters.

As for the association hiring the president to do maintenance work for the association (essentially hiring himself) this would CLEARLY be against ethics laws, and would probably be a prosecutable offense.

catland
10-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Someone needs to contact a lawyer to scare this scumbag off. Either that, or contact the DA's office or some legal entity to get rid of this evil person.