PDA

View Full Version : Kaige learned a new trick...

lv4dogs
10-21-2005, 01:37 PM
rollover. After 3, 5-10 minute sessions he knows how to rollover! Well he knew how to after the 2nd or 3rd time I showed him how but I still had to be sitting on the ground, now he really knows it, I can be standing or what ever.
I tried, I really did to get some pics of him rolling over but he's so fast, I either ended up with just his butt or head or the before & after pic. So this will have to do until I get some better shots. (I didn't want to push it by making him do 20 more rollovers. lol)

Here he is right before a roll over:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_0436.jpg
And right after:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_0437.jpg

Flatcoatluver
10-21-2005, 02:10 PM
good job kaige!

CagneyDog
10-21-2005, 02:48 PM
What a smart pup!

How did you train him to roll over? Did you direct him with a treat until he went over?

lv4dogs
10-21-2005, 02:52 PM
What a smart pup!

How did you train him to roll over? Did you direct him with a treat until he went over?

Pretty much. I had him lay down with most of his weight leaning into one side or the other (like his first pic. where he is leaning towards the right), then with one hand I held a treat and slowly moved it up & around him, like in a circle then at the same time with the other hand I gently pushed his feet up in the air then I gently pushed his body over too while saying "roll over" at the same time. (holy run on sentance lol)

poofy
10-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Good boy..I have not been able to teach SammyJ that, sigh..I will keep trying..lol.. :D

k9krazee
10-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Good job Kaige! Does he have a certain direction that he rolls over on every time? Its weird, Kyra has always rolled to the left and Jack to the right, I was just wondering what the little man is...I have also tried to get action shots...it doesn't work out so well. Anyway, Kaige is so cute, look at that face of concentration :D

Jamieejo85
10-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Great job!!!!!!!!!! Those pictures are great, he is unbelievably adorable :D

Ginger's Mom
10-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Hmm, we will have to get you a video camera. :D Just kidding. Good job Kaige, I could tell from those sharp eyes that you were going to be a quick learner. ;)

finn's mom
10-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Good job! He's so cute!

jesse_3
10-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Congrats Kaige! That is so awesome, he is a quick learner! When you were talking about picking out an Aussie, I didn't really ever know anything about them..I decided to research, and I KNOW that I am going to get one!-someday!
Anyways, Kaige, you are just too adorable!-
Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

beeniesmom
10-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Yay for Kaige! Such a smart boy!
I need to try that with mine.

cyber-sibes
10-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Wow, look at the concentration on that cute little face! He is one smart puppy - good boy!

K9karen
10-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Ok, I admit it..there's something about Kaige that makes my heart flutter!. I just melt when I look into his eyes! What a little smartie-pants too!!!

petslover
10-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Yay for you and Kaige!

tricollie4me
10-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Aw, he's so darned cute! I love that little pup :) My older two boys tried to teach Bijou to roll over (we thought it would be fun if they had a "job" to teach Bijou some tricks over the summer). They say she's learned to do it, but I have never, ever seen it happen, lol! Maybe she only does it for her boys ;)

Currently, we're trying to teach Bijou the "wait for your cookie!" trick by placing a small treat on her nose -- but her nose is long and skinny and Bijou isn't the most patient girl in the world, so it's taking a bit of time to get this trick down! What will be Kaige's next new trick?

Kfamr
10-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Good boy, Kaige!

You train the same way I do. I make 5-10 minute sessions out of it, they usually catch on to the idea the first 5 or so minutes, but I just inforce it in the next sessions. Isn't a great feeling to train? It's a lot of fun.

Pretty soon he'll be so good at rolling over and you'll be able to tell him to do all the way across the room. ;) (Quite funny, when I tell Nala to "bang bang/play dead" across the room, she just flops over wherever she is and plays dead. :rolleyes: :p )

lv4dogs
10-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Ashley: That is funny that you said that, I have been thinking about what other dogs roll over side preference was.
So far Kaige will only roll over on his left side.
Raustyk prefers to roll over on her right side, but will ocassionally roll over on her left.

Steph: I didn't know a *whole lot* about Aussies until a couple years ago when I started to research what my next breed would be. And by golly I sure am glad they came up as one of the best breeds for me, I have found my perfect match. I already couldn't imagine my life without one. I think I will always have an Aussie. Aussie owners do say once you have one you won't do without, now I understand why.

tricollie4me: Bijou must really like the boys! :p (I once had a ferret named Bijou)
I think we will do the hold an object in the mouth next. But I don't think we'll start any new tricks until a couple weeks from now, we have a few very improtant obedience commands to work on the next few weeks first. And he needs to know them REALLY well so we can move onto advanced class in a few weeks.

Kay: the 5-10 minute training rule really works. The dog doesn't become bored easily then and you have a better chance of ending the session on a good note. It is a great feeling, once you accomplish a command/trick!
Thats cute, about Nala playing dead.