PDA

View Full Version : Sammyj Ears, was like scratching them

poofy
10-21-2005, 12:56 PM
all the time. I had a vet tec friend of mine look at them and she cked and siad she thought they just needed cleaning.
So I cleaned them with a q tip and then flushed them with warm water, he hasnt scratched at them since..Is this normal? Do they scartch their ears if they are dirty, his was, im sorry to say :( :confused: I just did this yesterday when I was able to get a ear syrenge that had a safty on it so that It cant go in to far.http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/lvpups/sammyonburgendy.jpg

caseysmom
10-21-2005, 12:58 PM
the vet gave me something to clean casey's ears with, its called c/o or something like that, it has a drying agent, I would be careful using a qtip.

poofy
10-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Yes I was very carefull , why a drying agent and how did clean the ears?? :)

caseysmom
10-21-2005, 01:37 PM
I would take the ear and gently pull it back, then pour some of the cleaner in and gently rub down where the ear is and you can actually hear it squishing around, then I would put some tissue in her ear to get out the excess....usually she would shake it all out and this would be part of the cleaning.

The drying agent helps keep the moisture level low in their ears...the moisture causes problems, the vet told me to put cotton balls in her ears when I bathe her.

caseysmom
10-21-2005, 01:38 PM
You may also want to pull a few hairs out every day too, the hair in the ears can irritate them also.

poofy
10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
yes I keep the hairs out, good idea aabout the cotton balls, how can i be sure his ears are dry after I cleaned them with warm water??

Vette
10-21-2005, 05:28 PM
After plucking Kirbys ears.. he always shakes his head and scraches at his ears. its normal because plucking hurts and just causes disconfort period. but doesnt mean that his ears are dirty. ive only had to clean Kirbys ears out once since ive recued him.

but plucking is for our dogs benifit. its better then ear infections,, which id say is way more painful then plucking is.

you could try doing what i do after i pluck my dogs ears.
is to give him a bath or play with him to distrack him from his sore ears for a few minutes. that always helps.

caseysmom
10-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't know how to tell if they are dry after you put warm water in, I actually wouldn't do that, my vet told me to keep water out of caseys ears when I bathe her so I am thinking water in there is a no no.

The solution to clean them has a drying agent so it is different than water, it makes the ear canal lower on moisture, moisture can cause bacteria to grow.

k9krazee
10-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Micki just has extremely dirty ears and I have to clean them a lot. I just use a cotton ball, when he starts itching more than normal I know its time to clean out his ears.

poofy
10-21-2005, 07:32 PM
his were really dirty, :rolleyes: Shame on me.. and now I know not to flush with water..I found some of that c/o cleaning agent online. I was looking at stuff there , so I could tell what would be best..thanks for the advise..
And yes plucking hairs does hurt, but its best I have Sammyjs alll cleaned up now and there has been no, scratching of ears. :D

sammy101
10-21-2005, 11:00 PM
i use these cleaning wipes from PetsMart.They work really well,and they freshen their ears.

Petkin Jumbo Earwipes (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 6070&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032950&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1129953535897)

I'd be carefull with the Q-tip also

poofy
10-21-2005, 11:06 PM
all the information..I had never cleaned a dogs ears before.. :( I was like the people this one vet was talking about that only see the ears and dont really think about them :( I also have been reading a lot to, so no more water and no Qtips..Thanks a lot.. :D

wolfsoul
10-22-2005, 09:33 AM
At work, we use this stuff called "Blue Thunder." It's like a miracle. Even just yesterday a woman came in and said that her dog was groomed last week and she wanted to know what we put in his ears because he has completely stopped itching them and there was no greasy buildup. She said it was the first thing that's worked in months. I'm not sure where you can get Blue Thunder but you can ask around the grooming parlors --- maybe another one carries it.

If a dog has really dirty ears, before we put the blue thunder in we take a Q-tip soaked in ear cleaner or rubbing alcohol and clean the gunk out.

poofy
10-22-2005, 09:37 AM
It would be great to get some..dont think its likely, as I dont have a car..lol..
Blue thunder, I can call a few places but will they sell to you? Thank you very much and when are we going to see more grooming pictures??? :D :D