PDA

View Full Version : Barclay and the mouse

PJ's Mom
10-21-2005, 09:14 AM
I hope you don't mind a story with no pics, but I had to share what Barclay did last night. :eek: ;)

About 10:00pm, Barclay comes wandering in throught the doggie door as he usually does before bed. (He gets to go outside once a day) With him, he brought a little gray mouse. Now I can deal with a little dead mouse. (Poor mouse. :( ) However, when he put it down and looked at it, at of course the same time we looked at it, it ran away!! :eek: I grabbed Barclay so he wouldn't hurt it anymore and hubby had to catch the mouse. It took a few minutes to catch him, and once we did, hubby took the little guy out and put him in the neighbor's yard since they don't have any pets and he might stand a chance at survival. Barclay went right back out into the back yard to look for more. :eek:

Do your kitties ever bring you gifts like this? Does anyone know why they do it? I suppose if he kept the mice outside, instead of bringing them in, I wouldn't mind so much. :D

lv4dogs
10-21-2005, 09:27 AM
How sweet, he just wanted to share. lol I love the name Barclay!

Oh my kitties bring me gifts all the time, they haven't made it through the door with them yet. And they are *usually* already dead.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-21-2005, 09:37 AM
It is normal behaviour for a cat to go hunting! Of course they want their humans to share the fun :rolleyes: ! Maya does this often too; she tries to bring the mouse inside, but I never let her! Last time the mouse was still alive too, and ran away as soon as Maya put it on the ground at my feet :eek: .

On my web-site, on Maya's page, you can see showing her prey to us .
The Pet's House (http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/)

catmandu
10-21-2005, 10:23 AM
When Michael,and Princess first moved here,the very first thing,that they did was to go into the Basement,and catch,and kill all the mice,that were living down there.
The Princess,is a mighty huntress,and even being sight challenged,can find a piece of cheese,at thirty paces!

Lobodeb
10-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Sammy has brought me gifts on occasion, all alive. :rolleyes:

However, my mom's cat, Kandi, (Payton's cat meowmie) is terrible for bringing treats home. When I was there visiting, I found some legs and guts of what used to be a lizard, a mouse, a bird and a big bug! This was the same night! The night after we left, my mom woke up to find her guest room full of feathers. She never did find the bird. :(

momcat
10-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Ooo, that must have been a jolt! I was told that when cats do that, they're giving it to you as a present and want to let you know they love you and appreciate all you do for them.A few years ago at Christmas, our assistant director went around with a shopping bag giving a gift to each of us. As she got to the bottom of the bag, she found a "gift" that her cat put in there for her. She had no idea it was in there and was a bit surprised to say the least.