PDA

View Full Version : What is happening in this country???

moosmom
10-20-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm probably going to get yelled at for this but here goes anyway...

I was laying in bed last night watching the news. I got to thinking (hard to do after packing and moving stuff all day) about what in the hell is happening to out country??

Crime, poverty and animal abuse are out of control. There are no decent paying jobs to be found (unless you happen to KNOW someone) so that people can support themselves and their families. Yet when catastrophies such as the earthquake in Pakistan happens, poverty in other countries, etc. happens, WE, the United States, jump into action and pledge MILLIONS of dollars to help. :confused: Why don't other countries help out???

Why can't U.S. take care of IT'S own first?? Charity DOES begin at home. Then, if we have anything left, offer it to whoever needs it the most.

This country is going to hell in a hand basket.

When a new president is elected (thank GOD Bush is outta here, not soon enough), have him/her sign a contract, holding him/her to their word that the campaign promises they made WILL be upheld, or they will be held personally accountable for it. Hey, that's what businesses do, right??

I think the people of this country need to take back what is rightfully theirs. "WE THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE", as it is stated, not we the people for other countries. We need to stand up and tell these rich politicians that we are not going to take their crap with their empty campaign promises any longer. Get protests going. Speak out!!

Am I the only one that feels this way???

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now (I need it to pack stuff in).

senorita02
10-20-2005, 02:22 PM
I agree that crime, poverty & animal abuse are out of control & that there are no decent paying jobs to be found especially with everything costing more each day.
I also agree our whole country is going to hell, what makes me sick and has nothing to do with what u said is how much people in hollywood make for a living as if that is necesary. Also ,every where i turn there is a huge SUV somewhere taking up extra space & gas, i think our country is greedy and spoiled. :D

jackie
10-20-2005, 02:32 PM
i think our country is greedy and spoiled

It's not just the US. :(

Cataholic
10-20-2005, 02:34 PM
I don't think it is a choice- either help the US, or help other countries. We are still one of the more prosperous countries in the world, and we do have alot to offer, that doesn't mean we don't help our own, or can't help our own. While it sounds good, "Charity begins at home...", even with my limited political mind, it can't be that simplistic.

katienoonan
10-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't think it is a choice- either help the US, or help other countries. We are still one of the more prosperous countries in the world, and we do have alot to offer, that doesn't mean we don't help our own, or can't help our own. While it sounds good, "Charity begins at home...", even with my limited political mind, it can't be that simplistic.

Well said!

Corinna
10-20-2005, 04:26 PM
What all of you forget is that the Pres (whomever it is) he is only able to handlethe forgien policies the CONGRESS (yes those knotheads we elect to represent us ) handle the domestic policies . So any problem you have is partly your fault for who you elect to congerss. I get tired of the blame the pres game when we elect idoits like we have in congerss llfe long politisians Does the phrase term limits mean any thing!!!!!!! make them work for us while they are there not fill their pockets and bring home pork that should be used for other things.
I too agree that we have to stop being the worlds pizza delivery guys, after the hurriacanes does it look good to send help to earthquake victams and we still have inpoversed people ? We need to get on the congerss to stop wasting our money and time get the job done and get out.
Don't reelct any 2 or more term congress people.

popcornbird
10-20-2005, 05:24 PM
What in the world are you saying? That the US shouldn't help Pakistan? Do you realize what a disaster there is there...how many people have died, etc.? One of my brother's good friends lost 52 family members there in the earthquake. We just found out. 52!!! Can you even imagine? What difference is there between an American human being, and a human being from another country? Honestly, your post makes me very, very upset. If you had family there, you would know how it feels. Have a heart. There is no difference between humanity in the US or elsewhere. The US is a rich, RICH country. Pakistan is poor. I have witnessed the poverty there with my own eyes, and it is heartbreaking to see people in that situation. The US is not the only country helping...a lot are. If no one helped...if everyone said, "We should only help our own people..."...well, so many innocent lives that could have been saved would be lost. Do you think there's a difference between mankind in the US and elsewhere? Whether you do or not, God doesn't. A human being is a human being, and human suffering is human suffering. I bet you wouldn't be saying this if the US was helping animals in other countries. Sheesh. I choose to help anyone in need, whether they are in my country (US), or the country of my roots (Pakistan), or in any country on this entire planet. It would be a SHAME for such a rich country to not help a poor one in need. Big shame. There are other huge problems in this country that need to be solved, yes...but helping the poor? That is not a problem. That is an act of goodness that not only our government should be doing, but we as individuals should be sending help to those in need too. Put yourself in the shoes of those needy people who just lost everything they ever had, and think how it would feel to have someone say this to you (if you were them). I personally would rather live in a teenie tiny house with no luxuries than to see my human brothers and sisters die like this. A good human being does not only help himself, but also helps those around him/her. Someone who would only think of helping himself and not others is seen as selfish...and I can't stand selfish human beings (or countries). Of course people in our country should come first for the government, but for a country this rich...for a country that wastes BILLIONS of $$$ on wars...helping itself AND helping others is not a difficult task. The way to establish world peace is by these means...helping one another...not destroying one another. This is a humanitarian issue, not a political one.

:(

RICHARD
10-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Not to flame or trying to be a smart arse here.

Yes, our charity begins at home.
But we need to remember that we are spoiled as a nation.
Some people thought that the Government would 'ride to the rescue' after Katrina...At least we have a government that can ride anyplace.

Even the poorest people in the US are 100 times richer than the most upper class in other countries.

Pakistan sent us money after the hurricane.
How much? Does it matter???
One talks show host read off a list of countries who send aid.

Some of the smallest, poorest countries sent 20,000-50,000 dollars.

That might be the average wage of ONE working person here in the US.
A gold mine to someone earning 100-300 dollars a year???

When Tobago, Sierra Leone or Honduras open the purse strings to help us
it can be looked at as a "we helped you when YOU were down" or we can look at it as a honest humanitarian effort.

-------------------------------

We do live in THE MOST PROSPEROUS country on the planet.

What does that mean?

It means-
If you don't work, you get money,
If you are hungry, you get food stamps
It your are sick, you get cared for
If you need shelter we will house you.

If you can figure out the system, work it for all it's worth.

5 million bucks, Divide that by all the people who live in this country and it's mere pennies.

I can pass on a coke, sandwich and chips for one day..

Or take a the few pennies out of the taxes I pay....I'll never see it anyway.

---------------------

This is a reflection of the state of the U.S. as it stands now.

I live in a country where we have to supply milk to the kids who are born to parents that are too young, stupid, lazy to get ahead.

When I go to the store I see that the powdered baby formula behind a locked door, because someone will steal it as opposed to buying it.

In that same store the condoms are under lock and key too!!
(Hmmm, pass out free condoms and them we can free the ENFAMIL!!)

Another thing that makes me mad as all get out it are the people who are carping about the "border criminals" moving into Louisiana to help rebuild the city. OH MY GOD MORE ILLEGAL aliens..

One person said it best.

"Those people (Illegal Aliens) are willing to live in sub standard conditions-no water, electricity, housing - to make a buck.

While all the Americans sit on their fat arses by the mail box waiting for that hurricane relief check.

Again,
I think about the a-hole who left his neighbor on the lawn, dead, and complained about the Fire Dept not showing up to take care of the body after the hurricane.

Then,
I see pictures of Pakistani communities banding together to dig their loved ones and strangers out of the rubble. Why should we help other countries?

I really don't know-some of us cannot help ourselves.

----------------------

Put it into perspective...

Some 20 something NBA players are now asked to dress "business casual" at any gatherings that involve the league- These morons earn 10 zilliion dollars a year and then complain that they HAVE to dress up and can't show their 'bling' anymore!!!!

Then you have some 21 year old kid that peddles cheap plasticware at a Pakastani market, He's worried about finding and digging out loved ones from under the family home before they start to fall apart...

Yep,

We need to take care of the people here at home, but they need to learn how to take care of themselves first.

You can go to school and become rich. You can invent things and make a bundle. You can open a business, write a book, be famous, sue, win the lottery or rob a store.

People here are motivated to lead a rich life.

People over there are motivated just to live.

Lady's Human
10-20-2005, 06:55 PM
It's all a matter of perception. Turn off CNN, get rid of USA Today, Fox News and other mass media, and we're not in too bad a shape.

Crime is down. The FBI just released its annual statistics report, and violent crime is down 5%, property crime is down 7%, continuing a trend that has been going for more than a decade. The reason crime seems so bad now is that we find out about the guy holed up in the building in Miami nationally, not just locally, and we hear about it well before anyone has a chance to get the facts straight. As usual, they broadcast the headline at the top of the hour, on the hour for hours, and then run the corrections on the bump as they go to commercial when no one is looking.

Weather? We're no worse off now than we were in the 1940's to the 1960's, when they had many, many hurricanes, every year, but there was no CNN to broadcast up to the minute reports every 10-15 minutes. There also wasn't so much coastal development as there is now. Saturation reporting makes EVERYTHING look like it's going to hell.

Jobs are available. Even in the Southern tier of NY, where unemployment is a constant problem, it's down under 5%, and has been there for a couple years now. It all depends on where you are.

George W. Bush is but one out of the thousands of officials, elected and appointed, that make things work in this country. Just as he cannot honestly take credit for everything when things go right, WE cannot blame him for everything and be honest about it. Your local politicians have a far greater effect on your daily life than anything coming out of Washington DC. They don't set state taxes, services, etc, your local government does. Your local government also has more of an effect than Washington DC on the local economy and local job creation. again, it's all in perception and the way Mass Media wants you to see it.

As far as animal abuse goes, there are more stories than ever, but there is more COVERAGE than ever, and checking facts seems to be a lost art with the media as well (see the story about using dogs as shark bait). The sun, a tabloid, runs the story and CNN picks up on it and reruns it as though the sun was teh Wall Street Journal.

Helping other countries? We aren't just "One of the more prosperous countries" as Cataholic put it, we are THE MOST prosperous country in the world. One of the best ways to fight the war on terror is to assist the people who get brainwashed into becoming terrorists, and show them that we are NOT the evil country that we are made out to be by some. It's far easier to prevent them from becoming terrorists in the first place than to fight them on the battlefield.

The US a spoiled country? Damned right we're spoiled. We have people getting help from relief agencies going on TV and complaining that they got an MRE instead of a hot meal. Doesn't that just make me feel special. In the field I live on 'em, but they aren't good enough for someone that the media has been portraying as starving? Guess they weren't really starving after all. We have enough resources in this country that we can afford $3.00/gallon gas rather than let the oil companies drill where the resources are and use our own oil rather than import it.

It's not that bad. You just got in a hole, and things will look better when you get up out of the other side of it

moosmom
10-20-2005, 07:25 PM
:rolleyes:

I didn't mean to piss anyone off. I guess I was just venting over the state of affairs in this country.

And Lady's Human is also right. I'm in a huge hole right now and maybe I'll see things differently when I finally do find a job and get my own place where I really belong.

But it makes me sick when I watch on tv (maybe I should just shut the damn thing off) people who make MILLIONS of dollars making movies, playing sports, living high on the hog and paying an outrageous amount of money for a stinkin pair of shoes when so many people are going without them. It also makes me sick that these politicians promise everyone the world and then don't keep their promises.

I guess I'm just a little sensitive right now. Do ya think???

I'm going to take my anti-depressant now, have a good cry and go to bed.

Sorry if I opened a can of worms. If you think I should delete this thread, let me know and I will. :(

RICHARD
10-20-2005, 07:34 PM
DON'T YOU DARE DELETE THIS THREAD!! ;)

We are far from being pissed off....
I can tell you a story, (I have told it time and time before) about my Worst Six Months...

It is a matter of perspective.

And remember that should they start to fill the hole with dirt, you don't have much of a say about what happens afterwards.

Your feelings are valid, your opinion valued..

Or as Little Orpah Annie would say.

Tomorrow tomorrow I love you tomorrow
It's only a day away!!!

What brought THAT ON, i'll never know or tell!!

Corinna
10-20-2005, 07:44 PM
I guess It just hit me wrong I get so tired of Americans bash our selfs as bad becouse we have worked hard to make our country "rich" . as others have done nothig but say we must remain the same its' Allah , or budda or what ever will. Ok so its the will to remain poor and ignorant. fine don't expect The US to pull your tail end out every time.
I 'm for helping out other countries but why do we keep helping out the same countries when its proven they arn't giving the millions to help their people but lining the government officals pockets.
As to the origanal question the answer is we have taken the act of respossiblty away and given excuses and oh poor you its not your fault. here the governemt will help you. And after 3 or 4 generations they are still on the government dole and now expecting it .
Sorry but i'm in the middle of doing my taxes for the year we own our own business and we now have to pay 45% of what we earn to the government . And as I watch the stupid women on welfare,food stamps and has 6 kids, buy steaks I can't . I get a bit ticked off yes tlets but my butt and feed the entire world on the sweat of my and my husbands brow, let them all set around and complain about the rich americans. NOT in my mind.
Any of you that don't write a check to the Irs set a side the amount you have deducted for a 2 month period and see just what you pay in. Not writing it out you probly don't know just what percent you let them have to play with. Just try it.

caseysmom
10-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Please don't delete this thread, its good to talk about it. I am sorry things have been going so bad for you, by our standards here you are having a hard time. So many others have no food, no shelter, I don't think the money spent helping them would go toward helping you anyway, we need more jobs for people like you that are willing to work, I don't know the answer to that but its not just money.

Unfortunately in a system like ours many abuse the countries prosperity and don't work at all, then folks that are willing to work can barely get by...its not the best system in the world but its better than many.

lady_zana
10-21-2005, 02:01 AM
It's understandable to be very, very angry right now. My husband is going to be laid off in December. He works for Lexmark Tech Support and they are sending all that sort of service to India. Naturally, the reason is to save them more money because they won't have to pay the people in India the $12.50 an hour Mike makes now. Times are hard for us now; they'll be really hard then because neither Mike nor I may have a job. I've been unemployed since May - there is simply nothing in our area that is hiring right now.

I do think that the media makes a big deal out of things - when you have twenty-four hour news coverage, they have to play *something* and often it's the same story over and over. It's sort of like airplanes compared to cars: when an airplane crashes, though it happens less often than car accidents, the number of people hurt or dying is much higher so it gets more media coverage and sounds much worse.

I agree with you completely on not reelecting Congress people for over two terms. If they haven't done what they promised, or at least attempted to start trying to do what they have promised, they don't need to be in office any longer. A third, fourth, fifth....term will not have any better results than the first two. I think that needs to apply to local politicians as well, though. The only problem is, sometimes you can't vote against someone because there is simply no one to vote for. I live in a nice little place now - it's not large by any means but it's much larger than where I grew up. The town where I grew up has had the same mayor for twenty years, I guess, if not longer, because no one is running against him. You can't put someone in office if there's no one to put in office.

I know I'm lucky - it's obvious that I at least have a computer and the internet when some people don't have enough food - but I'm angry and fed up too that I can't get a job and I have to worry all the time about the bills. Still, I think things will get better soon. I know I have my parents and my in-laws I can turn too when times get hard and they'll help me as much as they can. It's just frustrating, I know, having to worry all the time.

lizbud
10-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Here's a great article on this subject I found in the Chicago Tribune. Dang,
I wish I could express myself half as well as she does. :)

Had enough?
A laundry list of ideas on how to undo the damage done by the Bush White House

Molly Ivins, Creators Syndicate
Published October 20, 2005

AUSTIN, Texas -- You can only sit around wringing your hands and moaning about what a mess the Bushies have made of America for so long. Sooner or later, even the gloomiest doom-meisters are bound to get beaned by an acorn on the noggin, leading to the startling and productive thought, "So, what could we do that would make things better?"

For those mired in loathing the Bush administration, the program would start with a long, long list of things that need to be undone: repeal the bankruptcy bill, repeal the tax breaks for the rich, and fix the farm bill, the transportation bill, the energy bill, etc. Or you could start with a list of gentle suggestions, such as:

- Making a rude jerk with a bad temper ambassador to the United Nations, probably not a good idea

- Putting a veterinarian in charge of women's health policy, maybe not.

- Making someone with a background in Arabian horses the disaster-relief czar, possibly needs reconsideration.

- Invading a Middle Eastern country with no provocation, a country that posed no threat and had no connection to Sept. 11, 2001 ... hmmm, perhaps not a shrewdie.

You can even do a sort of Golden Oldies list, such as:

- How's about we start enforcing worker safety laws again?

- What say we have a go at stopping big corporations from poisoning the air and water just so they can make higher profits?

- Say, how about helping people whose lives have been ripped to shreds by natural disaster?

But that's still not stepping up to the plate to take a swing at the always-relevant question, "What the hell do we do now?" Yes, we should follow the First Rule of Holes and stop digging. True, we need to go back to doing a lot of things we used to before George W. Bush "won" that remarkable "election" in 2000. And we need to go back to not doing a lot of things we didn't do before the 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court vote. But that still won't get us out of the fix we're in now.

We need to step up and come up with solutions to the problems this man has created.

We need a plan to get out of Iraq. I think New York Times columnist Bob Herbert had a good idea when he suggested: 1) A serious proposal for withdrawal of American forces over a reasonable (reasonably short) period of time and 2) couple that with a broader national security plan that focuses on Al Qaeda-type terrorism and domestic security.

One of the many problems created by the invasion of Iraq is that it took our eyes off fighting terrorism and dragged us into this endless struggle between the Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds. We're supposed to be fighting terrorism, and the single most useful tool for that purpose is international cooperation. Which means there is a lot of rebuilding to be done.

The go-it-alone Bush foreign policy will require long, hard, serious repair work. We need a beefed-up State Department and a new emphasis on human rights, complete with an acknowledgement of our errors in this regard. We also need beefed-up intelligence; tracking terrorists and their money, and their plans, and their people, requires a combination of good intelligence work and good detective work.

That, in turn, requires a whole lot of smart Americans who are fluent in Arabic--needed at State, the CIA and the FBI, just for starters. Isn't it lucky we have them, right here at hand? Of course, we will also need some repair work done with the Arab-American community, since it has not exactly been treated with the full rights to which every American citizen is entitled. Perhaps we should start a Bureau of Damage Control.

Next, the economy is in need of repair. We're obviously spending ourselves into deep doo-doo as fast as we can, and if ever there was a time for the classic Democratic solution, this is it: Tax the rich! Democrats should swipe Poppy Bush's old slogan, "No new taxes," adding, "Only old taxes back again." Since Republicans decided they needed to make Democrats look like cheapskates in the pork-barrel spending department, there are lots of thrifty, prudent stuff Democrats can do to fix that--and think how surprised everyone will be to see them do it.

While we're at it, the last time the minimum wage was increased was 1997, and $5.15 an hour ain't what it used to be. Another big chunk of what's wrong with the economy can be solved by fixing another major problem at the same time: health care. In case you haven't noticed, major employers and high-wage industries are increasingly choosing to locate in Canada instead of the United States. And what have they got that we haven't--besides more snow and never getting excited? National health insurance.

Yep, that ol' devil "socialized medicine" against which the right wing has so long and so relentlessly inveighed is now the darling pet of huge corporations. Not only is it good for General Motors, folks, the rest of us need it desperately too. In case you haven't noticed, our health-care system is falling apart.

This dandy list of Good Ideas on How to Fix Things will be continued.

Edwina's Secretary
10-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Don't you just love Molly Ivins? I have all her books. She is rarely in the LA paper so my parents send me copies of her column from Chicago.

I wonder if she ever sent GWB a birthday card saying he is "cool'?? And does anyone wonder WHY George hung on to the card?

tatsxxx11
10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Yes, we should follow the First Rule of Holes and stop digging

LOL! LOVE Mollie Ivins and her down home, folksy Texas style brand of political satire!:D She knows how to gently poke fun at the "other side" without offending while at the same time making us think a bit;)

As for the minimum wage bill, it just got voted down the other day!:confused:

carole
10-21-2005, 04:16 PM
I am kinda in agreement with what PCB had to say, honestly I can understand where you are coming from on this issue Donna as well, but Pakistan is such a poor country, they have to have assistance from the USA and other prosperous countries, just for the record NZ is a small country with only 4 mill pop and we have donated to Pakistan and every disaster that is going, those of us who are more fortunate than others just have to do the responsible thing and help out those who aren't, and for those of you who know Donna well , she has a heart of gold, and she is just feeling dis-satisfied with what she see's going on and around her as we do from time to time IMO.

All of us are spoilt, we just cannot imagine living as these people do in real poverty, I was just watching the people in Russia and it appalled me to see their living conditions and the addiction to Vodka that is happening in this country, but yes that is another story.

Personally I am all for helping those who need it, I don't be-grudge my tax dollars benefiting those in genuine need.

lvpets2002
10-21-2005, 04:42 PM
:) No Donna do not delete this thread due to is it all the truth that you have said.. I stand behind you 100% & you by no means are the only one that thinks this away.. What you did was just took the words out of my mouth & was brave enough to put in black & white.. Thank you for venting.. :o

moosmom
10-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Lizbud,

I have never heard of Mollie Ivans, but I think I love her!!! Thank you for sharing that article!

PCB,

I didn't mean to disrespect the Pakistanians. I was just trying to use them as an example, and a poor one at that. I guess it blew up in my face. I apologize.

Carole,

Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt. While I do have a tendency to speak my mind, it does sometimes piss people off and gets me into trouble. I guess this is one thread that did. But I was feeling kinda crappy and overwhelmed the other night over all that's been happening to me personally and around the world, I got carried away with my "opinion".

Maybe I should apply for the #1 job in these here United States :eek: :eek: God help us all!!! :p

carole
10-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Donna you certainly owe me no apology's, there is nothing wrong with speaking up for what you believe in, I am also like that, after all it is just that an opinion, and we all have one and as you can see some agree, some do not, some understand both sides of the story, I am just ever so glad that like you in this country we have the ability to speak our minds still.

I also get dis-satisfied with what is happening in my own country as well from time to time,we do not live in a perfect world unfortunatley, and if it does you good to get it off your chest now and then, hey why not. :)

IRescue452
10-22-2005, 08:35 PM
What's happening, sociologically, is the same thing that happened when too many rats were housed together. Its called overpopulation. Eventually large societies crash in on themselves. Not many people realize where certain effects come from but most are from overpopulation. There's no way to fix it.
As for our country being the only one giving charity...hahahaha, many many other countries give money to us during disasters.