PDA

View Full Version : Deer Runs Into Supermarket

areias
10-20-2005, 07:18 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1227075
READING, Pa. Oct 18, 2005 — A 130-pound deer crashed through the front window of a supermarket and ran amok for more than an hour before it was tranquilized by state game officials and removed. No one was hurt.

The eight-point buck emerged from a wooded area, struck a parked tow truck and then jumped through the window of a Weis supermarket in Exeter Township, Berks County, around 5:15 p.m. Monday.

It ran past a cash register to the rear of the store, crashed through the meat-counter display case and then headed toward the bread aisle at the other end of the store.

Two game officers and four Exeter police barricaded the deer with shopping carts, and shot it with tranquilizer darts. Weis officials reopened the store Monday night.

Pennsylvania Game Commission Supervisor Jack Lincoln said the deer would be euthanized because of the chemicals used to tranquilize it.

"We can't take the chance of a hunter harvesting and eating that meat," he said.

Deer become more active this time of the year because they are entering their mating season.

Cashier Kelsey Bracken said she was grateful she wasn't at her cash register at the time.

"I would have died," Bracken said. "It ran right through (register) five."

-------------------------------
Although this is rather amusing...they use tranquilizers on it and then decide to kill it? What the heck. This society never fails to amaze me.

senorita02
10-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Well, i very much dislike hunters, and they should let them go ahead and eat the meat.

poor poor deer :(

Van10
10-20-2005, 08:00 AM
I think they should have given the deer to a wild animal sanctuary instead of euthanizing it. :mad:

senorita02
10-20-2005, 08:01 AM
I agree Van10

jackie
10-20-2005, 10:02 AM
^ Me too. :(

That would have been so frightening! Big stags can be really dangerous.

RICHARD
10-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Like what ever happened with dying the fur day-glo orange and posting some fliers????? :confused:

The tranqs would metabolize outta that deers system pretty quickly-there was no need to kill the buck-Hold him for a week and turn it loose.

I think that someone in Exeter is now the proud owner of a six point buck head that would look really nice in the family room. :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

Twisterdog
10-20-2005, 08:30 PM
When I was college a deer jumped through a huge picture window in the lobby of our dorm, ran across the entire lobby, jumped through the matching picture window on the other side, ran across the street, jumped through the picture window of a beauty salon, and finally died. It was truly one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.