PDA

View Full Version : Home-made Kong Stuffing. :P

Kfamr
10-19-2005, 06:49 PM
I have been experimenting with different things to put in Kiara's kong when she flies to Utah next month. Today I soaked some kibble in water, then made it into a paste in the food processor. I also added a few milkbones for chunks.

The girls both have their kongs stuffed with it right now and have been working on them for atleast a half hour. Simba got some in a bowl (He doesn't like the kong idea much.) and all 3 of them loved it.

Just thought I'd let anyone know if you're looking for some cheap kong stuffings. :P

KYS
10-19-2005, 07:55 PM
What a great idea. :D

k9krazee
10-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Oooo...will have to try that, thanks!

K9karen
10-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Super idea Kay! I never used a Kong with food in it. Question..does it get all yukky inside afterwards? I guess you can just clean it with soap and water, huh? (duh) :rolleyes: Clever girl you are!

Cinder & Smoke
10-20-2005, 01:04 AM
I soaked some kibble in water,
then made it into a paste in the food processor...
... cheap kong stuffings. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Not exactly "cheap" ...
But years ago somebody (don't remember "who") went off his or her food ...
I used to cook a can of soup (chicken noodle and beef noodle were favorites) ~
I'd eat most of the noodles and pour all the warm broth over their kibble ...
By the time it cooled, kibble was a yummy "mush".

(Never thought to hurry it along with the Food Grinder!) http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

lv4dogs
10-20-2005, 08:24 AM
What a great idea. I already make something similar for my ferrets I'm surprised I didn't think of it for the kong. I bet that it's awesome for a frozen treat too! Thanks for the idea.

I always play around with recipes for the kong, usually involves leftovers though.

new mom to a veiled
10-20-2005, 09:14 AM
I have never tried it but I also heard peanutbutter and kibble in a kong will keep em licking for hours :)

RobiLee
10-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Hmmm, I'm going to have to try this for the girls. The love their stuffed Kongs. Thanks, Kay!

JenBKR
10-20-2005, 10:05 AM
I wish Roscoe liked his Kong, seems no matter what I put in it it stays there all day. Those are some good ideas though, I may try them just to see if he has any interest ;)

jackie
10-20-2005, 10:08 AM
I wish Roscoe liked his Kong, seems no matter what I put in it it stays there all day.

Try a piece of bacon or pate, I bet he would get interested in a hurry!

JenBKR
10-20-2005, 10:32 AM
I never tried real bacon, but I tried his doggy bacon treats, which are his favorite. No interest. I tried Kong treats...nope. I tried peanut butter...nah. You get the idea. Maybe he's just lazy ;)

lv4dogs
10-20-2005, 10:48 AM
I wish Roscoe liked his Kong, seems no matter what I put in it it stays there all day. Those are some good ideas though, I may try them just to see if he has any interest ;)

Do you leave the stuffing loose?
At first I would only put a little in it & make it VERY easy for him to get it out. Like maybe just a biscuit or 2 (or some kibble) the first few times, ones that are small enough where they just fall out almost as soon as he moves the kong, or leave the end of one them sticking out so he can get a good bite or 2 out of it before he even has to try to get it out. Slowly increase the amount you put in there, and slowly add ingredients that are harder to get out.
At first when adding sticky foods I'd only put a tablesppon or so just on the outer rim, slowly start to add it inside the kong, at first just near the opening.

How about the size of the kong? As some may not know, you really don't need a huge one. They (kong company) says that the kong should be big enough to where they can't swallow it or anything but small enough where they can easily put it in their mouth.

boxer_babe
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I am going to try that! It sounds like a very good idea! Thanx!

JenBKR
10-20-2005, 10:57 AM
I have a black one, but it is a pretty big one. I put the peanut butter on the outside and then a little on the inside. He licked it for a little while and then left it alone the rest of the day. I had treats sticking out of it, he would get one out, eat it, then not bother with it anymore even when I showed him the other treats sticking out. If he has to work to do it, he's not interested :rolleyes: Maybe I should get him a red one? I got the black because he's a chewer (loves rawhide and chewing on ropes, tears apart toys too).

lv4dogs
10-20-2005, 11:05 AM
I have a black one, but it is a pretty big one. I put the peanut butter on the outside and then a little on the inside. He licked it for a little while and then left it alone the rest of the day. I had treats sticking out of it, he would get one out, eat it, then not bother with it anymore even when I showed him the other treats sticking out. If he has to work to do it, he's not interested :rolleyes: Maybe I should get him a red one? I got the black because he's a chewer (loves rawhide and chewing on ropes, tears apart toys too).

Yeah, you can try a red one, or even a slightly smaller black one.
Also try something other than peanut butter. Or even try only buscuits or kibble at first, something that falls right out.
Then start to add a little pasty stuff. Since he doesn't seem too interested in PB in the kong, try some cream cheese, cheese in a can, left over mashed potatos, pudding, yogurt, let your imagination go wild with the kong, I do & I find new "recipes" almost every day. lol Maybe even add a few pices of fruit to the pudding or yogurt, or some left over meat chunks in the mashed potatos, some tasty bagel pieces with the cream cheese, some veggies with the cheese in a can or whatever else you may think of.

If you don't want to donate his old kong to a shelter or whatever try running a piece of rope through it, tie a knot in both ends, and viola a play kong rope toy.

JenBKR
10-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah, you can try a red one, or even a slightly smaller black one.
Also try something other than peanut butter. Or even try only buscuits or kibble at first, something that falls right out.
Then start to add a little pasty stuff. Since he doesn't seem too interested in PB in the kong, try some cream cheese, cheese in a can, left over mashed potatos, pudding, yogurt, let your imagination go wild with the kong, I do & I find new "recipes" almost every day. lol Maybe even add a few pices of fruit to the pudding or yogurt, or some left over meat chunks in the mashed potatos, some tasty bagel pieces with the cream cheese, some veggies with the cheese in a can or whatever else you may think of.

If you don't want to donate his old kong to a shelter or whatever try running a piece of rope through it, tie a knot in both ends, and viola a play kong rope toy.

Those are some good ideas. He doesn't get leftovers very often (almost never) so he'd probably be pretty excited about those. I'll try it. Thanks!

Kfamr
10-20-2005, 01:38 PM
I bet that it's awesome for a frozen treat too!

Yeah, I plan on freezing it before Kiara's flight. It kept them licking for quite a while. I plan on putting two kongs in with her, one's HUGE and the other is large/medium. I figured if I filled them both with a ton of peanut butter it'd leave her a bit gassy. Besides, this way it's just like her eating her regular dog food, which doesn't make her gassy at all.

I may try making doggy pops out of it eventually. ;)

chrissycat21
10-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Thats a good idea! I'll have to try it for Snowy sometime, she loves her kong.

My aunt uses peanut butter and carrots in her dog's kong. He loves it and will lay there for HOURS just try to get every last piece out!

cyber-sibes
10-20-2005, 11:45 PM
"....Kiara's kong when she flies to Utah next month" :eek:
Utah? Are you going to see Bebo? Wish we could fit in your suitcase, too!

I'll try the frozen kibble stuffing. I use peanut butter, but instead of a kong, I stuff those sterilized white hollow bones. I think the dogs would love a frozen treat.

cloverfdx
10-21-2005, 04:32 AM
What a great idea Kay, i will have to try it when summer comes ;). Happy travelling :D.

Lobodeb
10-21-2005, 10:52 AM
LMAO...I wish Maggy was a little on the smarter side of things, but I tried putting some food in her kong, but when she decided she couldn't get it out, she just barked at it. :rolleyes:

Her kong is so tiny, that not much fits in it, but if I get it any bigger, she can't pick it up.

Oh well, nice suggestion, though.

*LabLoverKEB*
10-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Great idea, Kay! I'll have to try that one!