PDA

View Full Version : Food. What are ....

ChrisH
10-19-2005, 06:19 AM
... grits? And what are collard greens?

Forgive my ignorance. :)

Killearn Kitties
10-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Logan once told me what grits were, but I don't remember the description well enough to repeat it. It was in a Thursday's bar, I'll try to find it for you. I think it's a southern thing!

I've heard of collard greens, but I don't know what they are!

Helpful aren't I? :D

Muddy4paws
10-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Collard greens are vegetables that are members of the cabbage family, but are also close relatives to kale. Although they are available year-round they are at their best from January through April.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/CollardGreens.htm

Googled it :D

mruffruff
10-19-2005, 07:41 AM
Grits are finely ground dried corn called hominy. It looks like cream of wheat and tastes very bland. Most people put butter, cheese or bacon (or a combination) in it to give it a flavor.

Logan
10-19-2005, 08:17 AM
I can remember going to www.ask.com to give Karen a description of grits. I LOVE them, but unfortunately can't eat them on my diet! :rolleyes: They are better cooked for a long time so that they are creamy. They are very uncommon anywhere other than the southern US, I think. I've noticed that other parts of the country use hash brown potatoes with breakfast rather than grits.

As for Collard Greens, these are not something I enjoy at all! They smell bad when they are cooking, but many people love them. They are a winter crop in the south. You cook them like you would other greens like Spinach or Turnip Greens. I like Spinach, but that's about it for the greens and me!! :o

JenBKR
10-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Yuck, grits! They are certainly a southern thing, but you can get them some places up here in PA.

beeniesmom
10-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Yum grits with butter and cheese!
Quaker has the instant kind. They are ok too.
Never had a collard green in my life...

BitsyNaceyDog
10-19-2005, 11:38 AM
I HATE grits. Yuck!
I don't like collard greens either. My iguana loves them though! Collards are absolutely his favorite food.

Logan
10-19-2005, 11:45 AM
One thing about grits, you either love them or you hate them. I LOVE them!!!!!! :D
Anyone ever had shrimp and grits??? YUMMY!!!!!

ChrisH
10-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks all. :D

Not sure if I'd like the grits but I do like the look of the collard greens. :)

lv4dogs
10-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't care for grits at all, no matter what I put on them or how much they are still bland.

Now collard greens, mmm mmm good! Of course I can cook tham but they don't taste very well, nothing like how the southerners cook them. They have to have a trick to it. lol
Can anyone here tell me how to make some good tasty southern collard greens?