PDA

View Full Version : What does it take?

zippy-kat
03-22-2002, 08:35 AM
Just curious, what does it take (besides time, $$, & volunteers) to set-up/organize a small scale rescue org. (in particular a bunny rescue)?

Any ideas?

(My 'pologies if I don't answer posts until tomorrow--I'll be travelin' to Mom & Pop's this afternoon.)

Former User
03-22-2002, 08:37 AM
Sorry, I don't know... just wanted to wish you a nice trip!!! :) :)

Pam
03-22-2002, 09:52 AM
I just saw a bunnie rescue story on Animal Planet yesterday. It featured a woman and her husband who basically do it out of their garage. What a set-up! They have transports and everything just like dogs and cats do. She works closely with the Vineland SPCA, I think the show stated, and it's out of Cumberland County, NJ. I'm sorry I don't remember more, but maybe you could contact them. I wish I remembered the woman's name too. She was a sweetheart and actually cried when her foster buns got adopted cuz she was going to miss them. I just checked and the shelter's phone # is 856-691-1500. Maybe they could put you in touch with this gal for some pointers. Good luck!

zippy-kat
03-22-2002, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys!

A few friends and I are **JUST** talking right now...gathering "ideers" & such...

more a bit later, I'm about to hit the road...

Daisylover
03-25-2002, 12:01 PM
The sanctuary I work at is about 8 years old and is called Pighoppers. Lake and Mark Jacobson rescue Vietnamese potbelly pigs and Easter presents...chicks, ducks and of course bunnies...hence the name. They set it up as a non-profit (that's very important) organization under law of the State of Mich and had to develop bylaws and get a Board of Directors.....I think the BOD is a figurehead and has met once in the past four years. This is important becuase you will want to raise money to buy supplies, equipment and pay vet bills without paying state tax. Also many companies will give a discount to non-profits.

We are currently meeting to reassess our goals. Maybe not in the beginning, but eventually if you are successful and the sanctuary takes off you will need volunteers to help you. For any organiz. this is often the MOST important aspect since it is easy after a while to burn out. Getting and retaining vol's is a challenge. We are working on that now and are also reassessing our goals of how large we want to be and of course, rescue-eduation-adoption. Spencer was correct, you will want an adoption policy and adoption form that is enforceable in a court of law....so you will need to meet with a lawyer to set up the non profit. It is vital that the adoptee be screened to make sure the bun is going to a good home. Follow up to the home is also very important (and more work). It hasn't happened often but we have confiscated a bun or two that we had adopted out when during our follow-up visit we thought they were not being cared for properly, and NO the people do not get their money back when you retrieve a bunny...it's in the form they sign.
All in all it is a lot of work but well-worth the effort. I LOVE what we are doing at the sanctuary. Of course we see our share of sad stories and incredibly stupid pet owners, but the saving of an innocent animal that cannot defend itself is VERY rewarding.
There is also another organization called Michigan Rabbit Rescue and I know they have a website it's probably www.michiganrabbitrescue.com (I remember is it a very long address). They operate completely different from us....which is also something you need to consider. How will operate your mission? My sanctuary is Pighoppers. website addrs: [email protected]. The Jacobson's have 10 acres complete with a bunny barn and about 7 different bunny yards and condos. MRR uses fosterers' in private homes, so their rules and operation is significantly diff. from ours.
I think each sanctuary fulfills the desperate need for a haven for abandoned, abused and neglected bunnies in their own way. Good for you
(hooray, hooray!!! :) )to consider this endeavor. Let me know if you have any add'l questions or more info and do check the websites.
Good luck!

purrley
03-25-2002, 02:59 PM
Chances are zippy, you'd start out with bunnies, then you'd get some cats, then some dogs, pretty soon you'd have a Best Friends Animal Sanctuary:D :D

zippy-kat
03-25-2002, 10:37 PM
Wow! Soooo much information to consider...

As Spencer pointed out--something I didn't even stop to think about--illness. I don't think I could EVER EVER forgive myself if lil' Sophie contracted something from a foster kid. :(

Maybe this can be a future goal to work towards--when I have room to separate the buns.

And Purrley, you are sooooo right!!! It could be a Best Friends II in the making! :) lol

aly
03-26-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Pam
I just saw a bunnie rescue story on Animal Planet yesterday. It featured a woman and her husband who basically do it out of their garage.

I saw that Pet Story too!!! I was bawling like a fool the whole time!