PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Not Eating...

areias
10-18-2005, 03:45 PM
I recently got a red ear slider...since I purchased him, a week ago last Monday, he has not eaten. He does not get up under his basking lamp either. I have live feeder fish (very small guppies), I've tried pellets, fruit, romaine lettuce, etc. I'm worried especially because I know he's not getting any calcium which turtles need. He does have a 4-5" shell diameter (he's not a hatchling). He has a water heater, and right by a very sunny window that I open for UV rays. He's very docile and not too scared of me..he dosen't run away when I approach. I was thinking of trying crickets but I'm not too sure.

I brought him back to PetCo on Saturday to talk to the aquatics guy. We both determined that he is fairly healthy...the guy was fairly concerned as he does need to eat. He is shedding a lot. The guy suggested a couple products, and then left up to me if I wanted to exchange him. I decided to try it for another week. I'm giving it until next Saturday and if he hasn't eaten, he's going back. Not only don't I want to lose money, I don't want to see my poor baby die. :( Any suggestions would be very welcome.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-19-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm sorry about your little guy. I unfortunately have very little knowledge when it comes to RES. Good luck with him.

Scooby4
10-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I am not sure what state you live in. Our state it is illegal to sell turtles smaller than 4 inches. That is because smaller turtles carry "Salmonella". :( So be careful to wash your hands after handling the turtle. This will cause severe diarhea for you.
I also believe the turtle is getting too warm. There is no need for the water heater. Turtles are cold blooded creatures and warm themselves with the light of the sun or sun lamp. That means that when they need heat they will seek it. Having the water warm does NOT help in regulating it's body temperature thus it's not eating.
I suggest get rid of the water heater and only use it when the temperature is below 50 degrees in the room. Typically, the water will be the same temperature of the room it sits in. Also try to feed the turtle "Blood worms". They are good providers of proteins. Let the turtle get out of the water every once and awhile.
Take these few steps and see what happens.

areias
10-20-2005, 01:40 AM
He is an adult turtle, he's not smaller than 4" (although those are incredibly popular here :rolleyes: )..for the first week I had him, I did not have a water heater and he wouldn't eat. The water temp was around 70-72 degrees, and what I've read is RES like the water about 80-84 degrees. According to a website if the water is too cold it dosen't stimulate him to eat. He does have a ledge he can get up on and bask, however I have never seen him on it. If I place him on it, he goes right back into the water. I usually take him out in the evenings and he sits with me or roams around, just to get him used to me.

I've tried bloodworms too (I have some for my betta fish..), he didn't even take a glance at them.

areias
10-20-2005, 06:49 AM
-sigh- I threw a pellet stick in there this morning and turned around to do something...I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye and turned slowly and he was staring at the stick. And then it seemed when he noticed me watching him, he turned his back on the stick and swam away.

Little stinker. :o

Flatcoatluver
10-21-2005, 10:00 PM
aww I can't help you but what if you posted this in pet general maybe more people will look there, I hope he will be ok :(

areias
10-22-2005, 12:55 AM
:( In the midst of the hurricane, I thought of the poor guy and I brought him back. If he's already not eating, and we have to pick up and leave...I just felt he wasn't doing well and decided to bring him back. I believe he might have been sick in some way. I'm a little upset over it.

I was overly pissed though...when I brought him back the guy at PetCo just threw him back in the tank. Didn't bother to check him over, quarantine him, or anything. Just threw him in there...I feel horrible for the next person that picks him, or if he had something and its being given to his tankmates. :mad:

I did however call around to see if I could find something else. I found a guy that breeds RES...I'm going to take a look and see what his guys look like.

QueenScoopalot
10-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Sorry it didn't work out with the turtle. Turtles are NOT easy creatures to raise in captivity. I have a pair of Red earreds, and both were rescued from a very tiny size. They have thrived, and are quickly outgrowing the tank...not to mention getting a bit amorous with each other! :rolleyes: Scooby...I have to disagree with the heating situation. RES are warm climate turtles, and and do need warmth in order to properly digest (and eat) food. I feed mine earthworms a treat, Reptomin, and dark leafy greens mainly. If you Google Red-eared Sliders there's a wealth of info available. Here's one site I have bookmarked. ;)
http://www.resoasis.com/

Jessika
10-28-2005, 09:05 PM
Is this the same turtle from the post earlier today?? Or wait you said your mom got ANOTHER one...

Well please do your best to get that guy selling ILLEGAL hatchlings shut down!! :(

areias
10-29-2005, 11:31 PM
The one I had was an adult I got from petco, that was legally sold. The one I have now is the hatchling.

Jessika
10-29-2005, 11:32 PM
How is the little guy doing now?? Better I hope!! :(

areias
10-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Not too much better. Tried some tiny wiggly crickets today...to no avail. I've read things about force feeding beef blood. Not that I'm all that interested in doing so...although I would try it, I have no idea how to open a turtles mouth. I tried briefly and I couldn't. He's basking right now..he basks an awful lot :( . The eye isn't much better. I'm cleaning the tank again tomorrow but I still don't know.