PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone an Entrepreneur?

kimboe
10-18-2005, 02:53 PM
I was thinking of starting a smalll bussiness and was wondering if anyone else here has and was it worth it.
And can give some tips. :)

christa
10-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I started working for myself when I was in highschool. I incorporated my business in college. Now I work at home and it is wonderful. It took years to get to this place though . . . it was a lot of hard work. There's a lot more to it than you'd think.

What kind of business are you thinking of starting???

kimboe
10-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Well, i have alot of ideas. But, the one that i think will give me fast results of interests is making treats.
But, i'm kinda not sure if i should.

christa
10-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Animal treats?

You could always contact local shops & see if they would be willing to sell your products in their shops. Or start up an online shop. That would probably be the best way to go . . . if you could continue to handle the volume of sales if you hit it big!

buttercup132
10-18-2005, 03:06 PM
my grandpa is a collage teacher for entrepreneurs but i know nuthin about it

kimboe
10-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I was thinking of doing it online, Cuz one of my friends is an IT tech and makes websites for companies on the side. So, i was thinking of asking.
But, i'm wondering will people want to buy them and should i try.
Really if i think about it i won't really lose out on anything but Dough.... :p
I've already made some and Camen Loves them!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-18-2005, 03:25 PM
My husband is an Entrepreneur, kind of. He doesn't really have his own business, but he does work for himself. He is a computer programmer and works contract work. For him it has worked out very well, he makes more than twice what he made working for an employer.

kimboe
10-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Really, WOW...That's so Cool!...

Logan
10-18-2005, 04:39 PM
I have never started my own business, but I lend money to people who are small business people. Just be aware of what kind of capital ($$$) you are going to need to sustain your business in the early days and have it set aside, and you need to be able to account for growth and the increased capital needs at that time. Seems like most small businesses that fail do so because they are undercapitalized. You can't start a business on a shoestring, support your personal bills and the bills of the business without having some money set aside and a real business plan. You might start by contacting your local Small Business Development Center (SBDC). If you go to www.sba.gov, there is a ton of information available for people who want to start their own small business. I would definitely suggest you start there as you start planning what you want to do. You should be able to find your local SBDC through the SBA's website as well.

Good luck!

Logan

Desert Arabian
10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
So sadly I am not an entrepreneur yet, but I plan on being one some time down the road- I took a FANTASTIC Entrepreneurship class last year at school...I learned so much stuff! I plan on opening up a horse (Quarter & Arabian) breeding and training facility, hopefully!

Oggyflute
10-19-2005, 04:05 AM
Just remember Kimboe, the more research you do, the more sucessful you will be. ;)

kimboe
10-19-2005, 08:07 AM
That is a really good point you have Oggyflute!
Logan, I don't know if I really need to see how much capital i have to keep. I'm not really wanting to make a killing in it, just enough to maintain and keep me busy.
But, i have been looking at the site you suggested, lots of info. :)
Desert arbian i hope you succeed in yours! :D

catnapper
10-19-2005, 08:32 AM
I have my own design business. I LOVE it. Though you have to be prepared for busy days and dead days. I had a two week period last month where I had a whopping 10 billable hours. Thank God I also am trying to get my arwork business going too. Be prepared for 12 hour days. Or more. Even though I've not been doing many "billable" hours lately, I still have 8 full hours a day of administrative work, marketing work, etc.

You have to be self motivated - nobody is standing over your back making sure you have everything on schedule.

Then there's the problem of judging inventory and cash flow... Do you have enough inventory for the unexpected call for 100 bags of treats? Do you have the finances to BUY 200 pounds of ingredients up front before you make the extra 100 bags of treats?

Packaging -- whats it going to look like? Will you hire someone to design the logo or do it yourself? Even though you are thinking of doing it intrnet based, you'll need a cute package for people to remember you. Most often people buy gourmet treats as gifts, so they want it to be pretty as well. Then they give it to someone, if the packaging is cute, the gift receiver might use you to buy other gifts, etc.

Are you single, married, living with roomates? The biggest draw back I've found is when the people I live with think that because I'm home all day that I have plenty of time to do hundreds of little favors. I'm home, so I can easily run to the bank, the post office, call the insurance company, etc. :mad: I have as much tim as THEY do, but they don't believe that. Yes, I have freedom to make my own hours.... but that doesn't mean my clients understand when they call the office and I'm not there because I had to run out for one of hubby's famous "favors" :rolleyes: Oh... and the kids think I'm home to run their forgotten science homework to school... or to wash their uniform the night before their game (even though they had a WEEK to get it into the laundry basket! :rolleyes: ) Everyone thinks you are home = you can do things they can't. Its very frutrating!

If you are single, find out about insurance first and foremost. Do not go without insurance! Its expensive but a neccessity!

kimboe
10-19-2005, 08:55 AM
WOW, You totally made me open my eyes! I never even thought of someone wanting 100 bags, But what IF?....... :eek:
Hmm....i have alot of collobarating to do.

Logan
10-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Good food for thought, Kim. You expressed it in a much better manner than I did, but that is exactly what I was trying to say!!!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Are you single, married, living with roomates? The biggest draw back I've found is when the people I live with think that because I'm home all day that I have plenty of time to do hundreds of little favors. I'm home, so I can easily run to the bank, the post office, call the insurance company, etc. :mad: I have as much tim as THEY do, but they don't believe that. Yes, I have freedom to make my own hours.... but that doesn't mean my clients understand when they call the office and I'm not there because I had to run out for one of hubby's famous "favors" :rolleyes: Oh... and the kids think I'm home to run their forgotten science homework to school... or to wash their uniform the night before their game (even though they had a WEEK to get it into the laundry basket! :rolleyes: ) Everyone thinks you are home = you can do things they can't. Its very frutrating!

This is very very true. Justin has an extended contract now and he has an office in the company's building. When he has contracts that he does from home it is very hard for him to keep a good schedule.