PDA

View Full Version : Showing in obedience?

lv4dogs
10-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone here shows their dog in obedience?

After speeking with my instructor a few times, and him bugging me for a couple weeks to show Kaige in obedience I think we are going to try it. I figure he has to be at least 2 to start agility so this will give us something to do while we wait. Besides he is so good at it. I think it would be neat to have a dog with different titles. If he's really good at it I may start agility when he's 4 or so, so he can get as many titles as possible and still have the chance to do so in agility.
I think I'm also going to try to find somewhere fairly local that offers the herding instinct test and try him at that too.

wolfsoul
10-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I would love to get involved in obedience. :) Probably not until next year though, or the year after.

Try to find some breeders in your area that breed herding dogs. Alot of herding dog breeders offer herding instinct tests (atleast around here they do). :)

vinjashira
10-18-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm sure Kaige will be brilliant :)

Snowy is not doing too bad in obediance training (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=85628)
but last week when we had a little test she decided not to do anything she was asked to :o
well everybody has their off night I suppose :p

Flatcoatluver
10-18-2005, 02:42 PM
I personally don't show in that, One of my freinds shows in obedience and her dog is grand chapion now! Kaige would probally do great! We will probally start obeidence showing in about a year after zoey Is done with her "teenage years" But obedience is a great thing because it teaches you and your dog great team work! do it!!! Good luck

Flatcoatluver
10-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I think we are going to try it. I figure he has to be at least 2 to start agility so this will give us something to do while we wait. Besides he is so good at it. I think it would be neat to have a dog with different titles. If he's really good at it I may start agility when he's 4 or so, so he can get as many titles as possible and still have the chance to do so in agility.
I started showing zoey in agility at two, she wasn't ready untill she hit two but i started training her at 8 weeks, Your can start showing agility as early as a year old, depending on what club you are showing her in.

k9krazee
10-18-2005, 04:25 PM
I would love to compete in obedience and thought about it while I wait to be able to do agility with Jack but I can't find any local places. I at least want to get his CGC before agility but I am struggling to find a local place to take classes.

Flatcoatluver
10-18-2005, 05:16 PM
have you looked on akc website they might have places around for agility that can teach jack

k9krazee
10-18-2005, 06:00 PM
The only agility I would do with Jack is CPE or NADAC...even though there are fewer and fewer NADAC trials now :( . Hes not a purebred so we can't do AKC. I am starting classes next summer, my Aunt teaches it but she lives about an hour and a half from me, I really want to do obedience this winter and Jack isn't old enough for agility yet (only 9 months).

Flatcoatluver
10-18-2005, 06:01 PM
I know he couldn't do akc but they might have trainers in your area online

dab_20
10-18-2005, 06:08 PM
i just got a cocker puppy and i am thinking about doing obedience with him when hes older, and then possibly do agility!

RobiLee
10-19-2005, 06:49 AM
I say go for it! I bet Kaige will do great.

Shelteez2
10-19-2005, 07:09 AM
I've competed in obedience with the shelties... both of them have their novice titles in CKC obedience. I really really enjoyed competing it was a lot of fun. I need to stop being so lazy and get back to work on getting them their CDX. I'd also like to come down to the states and get their AKC novice title.

I say you should go for it. A CD is a fairly easy title to get. Especially for a herding breed. :) As long as you and he are both enjoying the training then I don't see any reason to not go for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :D

Crikit
10-19-2005, 08:18 AM
The only agility I would do with Jack is CPE or NADAC...even though there are fewer and fewer NADAC trials now :( . Hes not a purebred so we can't do AKC. I am starting classes next summer, my Aunt teaches it but she lives about an hour and a half from me, I really want to do obedience this winter and Jack isn't old enough for agility yet (only 9 months).

Actually you can also compete in USDAA or AAC trials, though for AAC trials you have to be willing to drive up to Canada as they are a Canadian organization. For NADAC, AAC, and USDAA the dog has to be at least 18 months old.

lv4dogs
10-19-2005, 08:38 AM
I started showing zoey in agility at two, she wasn't ready untill she hit two but i started training her at 8 weeks, Your can start showing agility as early as a year old, depending on what club you are showing her in.

Yeah you COULD, but that is not good for their joints at all. I'm not even going to start to train for agility until I get his hips x-rayed at age 2. Well I *may* start to train a little on small jumps and the such (which they also need to know for obedience anyways) but nothing too strenuous and not for prolonged periods of time either.

Flatcoatluver
10-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Yeah you COULD, but that is not good for their joints at all. I'm not even going to start to train for agility until I get his hips x-rayed at age 2. Well I *may* start to train a little on small jumps and the such (which they also need to know for obedience anyways) but nothing too strenuous and not for prolonged periods of time either.
thats why you don't have them go over jumps untill there done growing. You have to wait

Neo_lover
10-19-2005, 12:29 PM
I want to put Sam in obedience trails, but he still needs some work. :D