PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Problems With Our Pack - long post

MaxnPeteysMom
08-31-2001, 02:16 PM
Hello all - I'm a new user here. I'm loving this board - people seem to treat differing opinions really respectfully, which is wonderful - and challenging to find online!

Here's our story: My husband and I have two dogs. We adopted Max from Anti-Cruelty Society in Chicago almost three years ago. He's a seven year old, brindle, Yorkie/Poodle mix. He was raised in a family with two kids, then left at the shelter when he was about 4 1/2 because the family couldn't put in the time with him anymore - their loss, our HUGE gain. We love our boy - he was even the ringbearer at our wedding :)!

When we first got Max, he was great with people, but terrified of other dogs. He apparently hadn't spent any time with other dogs at all and didn't know how to handle it. So, whenever he saw another dog he'd shake violently and sit down behind us and hide.

Another problem was his MASSIVE separation anxiety. When we leave the house we'd give him the bedroom for his den (and never leave more than four-five hours at a time) and he's bark his head off and scratch the door like crazy. We'd put him in a crate, which made it even worse, but we kind of had no choice since he'd destroy the doors trying to get out.

The third problem we had with him was his excessive barking - he barks at everything!

Well, we brought him to this place for training and socialization - and it worked like a charm. He became less timid, started playing with other dogs, etc. He's still timid, but it's way better. He still had sep. anxiety, but we were able to stop crating him and gave him the run of the bedroom when we left the house, or else we'd daycare him. He never stopped the excessive barking no matter what kind of corrections we used.

Then, this year, we noticed that he was really depressed and that the only time he'd perk up was either a - after a day at doggie daycare (where we take him when we're both working) or b - after a day playing with our friends' two Jack Russell terriers.

Last month we brought Max to an adoption fair run by Rover Rescue and he picked out a playmate - Petey, a 2 1/2 year old, black, Poodle/Bedlington Terrier mix. Great dog and the two get along great.

The problem is this: these two timid dogs have become a real pack - they have overcome all shyness and insecurity and now bark excessively all the time. Additionally, walking them has become a nightmare. Without warning, if someone (and it doesn't happen with everyone so we dont' know what's triggering it) walks down the street, they will bark, growl, tug and lunge at the person. We're horrified and concerned because we have to apologize to everyone we see. Because they're so cute most people forgive it and laugh, but to us it's not funny, it's an increasingly scary behavior.

They also still bark like crazy when we're home.

We're trying the sonic collars - the ones that make an annoying noise when the dogs bark, which seems to be helping a little. We're also trying halti collars for the walks - the ones that don't let the dogs pull on you - the dogs hate it, but we're trying.

Does anyone have any recommendations on this? Any past experiences others have had, etc. are GREATLY appreciated!!

TheAntiPam
08-31-2001, 02:35 PM
Welcome, Max and Petey and their Mom! It won't be long before our loving PetTalk people have some good ideas posted here to help you and your doggies.

Good luck with your training endeavors, and congratulations on finding that special something to love in two doggie "rejects". Here at PetTalk, we know just what little miracles can be found in animals that other people just toss away.

P.S. Start looking for pictures to post of your doggies...we like to know what our new friends look like! :D

kobieeli
08-31-2001, 02:51 PM
Looks like us Californians are coming out of the woodwork to greet one of our own! Welcome!

I wish I had some ideas for you, but (fortunately!) I've never been troubled with a non-stop barker. But I'll bet Carrie will be along shortly to give you excellent advice ... :)

MaxnPeteysMom
08-31-2001, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm going to try to figure out how to get my pics up here!

http://dogs.owenville.com

There, I think that did it : )!

MaxnPeteysMom
08-31-2001, 02:54 PM
Or not :( - I guess I also need advice on how to post a picture! LOL...

carrie
08-31-2001, 02:55 PM
Welcome!
I have a secret urge to visit all the other boards that people say they have problems with and say, "Grow up!"

Please have a look at my other posts, as you are new, so that you can see that I don't mean to upset or be offensive although I often manage to!

In one respect you have done totally the right thing - get a friend for the shy timid and constantly barking dog.
The friend has turned out to be a back up to your dog rather than a cure.

YOU have to take control and say what the rules are.

With two dogs and from a distance, especially never getting to see the actual behaviour it is very easy to give you instructions. A different story to try and give you instructions that will work!
My first thoughts are that this is not a difficult problem, it is easy to put right and you should try a behaviourist near you that can see exactly what is happening.

The only thing I will say with total conviction is.... - take off the collars! Electronic, sonic or citrus, it doesn't matter - take them off. They are indiscriminate and cause more problems than they solve when in the wrong hands or when left on dogs that have no human supervision. Please do not leave your dogs with these on.

Two weeks with a decent behaviourist and all your problems will seem like a bad nightmare.

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: carrie ]

Dixieland Dancer
08-31-2001, 03:38 PM
Carrie,
We do agree 100% on this one!!!!! In hunting I see so many people training their dogs with collars and it infuriates me. Some of these dogs are so beaten down with negative corrections they do what is expected out of fear. I'd rather have a ignorant dog than a fearful one.

Get rid of the collar - please! Try to find a good dog behaviorist in your area. You won't regret it.

From your post it sounds like you are willing to do what is necessary to correct this problem. A professional can show you how to work with your dog in a positive way! If you contact a good dog obedience school in your area, they may be able to recommend one for you. Best of luck!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-31-2001, 04:15 PM
Welcome from another Californian, I think you will really love it here. You can't get better advice than from Carrie and Dixie Land Dancer. They are both very knowledgeable when it comes to dogs. I know your problem, we have two Schnauzers and if you know anything about them I have all your problems wrapped up in two.
Jackie

MaxnPeteysMom
08-31-2001, 05:18 PM
Wow - you folks are quick AND helpful. One thing I should point out that I didn't clarify - we ONLY use the training collars that make noise - they don't shock, and we ONLY use them when we are there to supervise. We NEVER EVER put them on either dog if we are not there to make sure they are being used properly. I could never imagine someone putting one of these things on and then just leaving. You'd never know what behavior was being corrected! Additionally, we mostly put them on at high-inappropriate-bark times, not during things like playtime, when vocalizing is a natural extension of their playing.

Still can't quite figure out that darn image thing, but you can see our guys at Max and Petey (http://dogs.owenville.com)

MaxnPeteysMom
08-31-2001, 05:24 PM
One thing I left out - I've had a heck of a time trying to find a behaviorist in my area - so if anyone has any recommendations, I'd be grateful. You'd think on the web I could find something - but the L.A. area is painfully lacking!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-31-2001, 05:30 PM
I just took a quick peek at Max and Petey and they stole my heart. They don't look like a pack of two they look like a pack of love. They are so cute, how could anyone turn these two in with faces like that. They are adorable.
Jackie

MaxnPeteysMom
08-31-2001, 05:33 PM
Aren't they adorable?? It's the only thing that saves them when, on walks, they bark and growl and try to jump on people. My standard response as we pass the hapless near-victims is, "Sorry - they only THINK they're pit bulls!" That usually elicits a laugh and we can all move on from there. :)

Meantime, I've found a doctor named Richard Polsky who is a certified behaviorist in the L.A. area. I'm hoping we'll be able to afford a visit or two with him!

TollSettFK
08-31-2001, 06:30 PM
Welcome!!!! You'll love it here, it's chock full a tips,and REALLY nice dog lovers who are so helpul. Im so happy to see that you adopted your Max and your petey. I really don''t know what to say because we have never been in your situation, but with our puppy dog, when ever he barks ,we just take our jar full of pennies, and shake and firmly, with a low, growy, voice, say NO BARK! About the two dogs getting better friends then they are with you, What about taking just taking one dog for a walk, and leave the other...while your on your walk say , with Max, praise him, run with him ,play games ,be fun with him basicly, and then come back take Petey out and do the same. I don't know, it might work

MaxnPeteysMom
08-31-2001, 06:47 PM
Toll your dogs are adorable!!!!

We can't walk them apart - at least not at the moment - because they cry and bark even worse when they are apart. We've created monsters! :)

Daisy's Mom
08-31-2001, 08:39 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! Max and Petey are absolutely precious! I can't beleive those two angel-faces would cause any problems... although I think I see a hint of mischief in their big brown eyes :) I have never had a problem with my Daisy barking. She is a 2 year old Basset Hound. But Dixieland Dancer and Carrie give great advice, so listen to them! ;) Again, welcome to Pet Talk. You'll love it here!

MaxnPeteysMom
08-31-2001, 08:44 PM
Thanks Daisy's Mom. BTW, when I saw that picture of yours today I emailed my husband about it immediately - it is TOO TOO adorable!!

08-31-2001, 09:36 PM
Well, it's been said before but not by me! WELCOME TO PETTALKVILLE :D! I wish I had advice for you... I have 3 dogs but I am total novice on training and correcting behavior. Besides, this one sounds like a complicated problemo! Going to that doctor is my best recommendation anyway. I'm sure that will help.

It's nice to see some more "west side" peoples poppin' up here. For awhile there it was little old me and Jackie way out in CA and AZ and everyone else was Midwest and back East! Anyway, I saw your pics and Max and Petey are adorable! If you don't mind I would like to put them up on the website. You can take a look - the link is below under my doggies pics. It has pics of everyone's dogs that are on this forum. Their user names are under their dog's pics. Could you tell us (unless I have missed it already) which one is Max and Petey?

Welcome and good luck with those two ruff and tuff guys!

lizbud
08-31-2001, 09:41 PM
MaxnPeteysMom..Welcome to Pet Talk !!!
You pics of Max and Petey are really good ..
Cannot offer any real help with the fear/
aggression issues, but there are Pros. in dog
training and behavior on this board who can
offer helpful suggestions for you.
Welcome aboard!!!!

MaxnPeteysMom
08-31-2001, 10:56 PM
Thanks doggiemom and Liz - I'm a Liz too, btw. And yes, doggie, I'd LOVE for Max and Petey to be included on the website! Max is the brindle yorkiepoo, and Petey is the black poodle/bedlington terrier mix.

I'm hoping to hear from this behaviorist soon - maybe an appointment with him will explain some things to us!

aly
09-01-2001, 01:25 PM
Welcome Liz!!!! I am so happy you decided to join Pet Talk. My name is Alyson and I have a cat, poodle, and wh fox terrier/poodle mix. Your dogs are ADORABLE! What sweeties. Yorkies and poodles are two of my favorite breeds. Both of those mixed into one must be QUITE the personality! Petey reminds me a little of my wirehair fox terrier I used to have who a lot of people mistook for a bedlington. Max's little face and expressions really remind me of my poodle, Reece.

I've been through the MASSIVE seperation anxiety thing with two dogs in the past 6 months. They both still have it, but we are at the point where it is extremely controllable and there is no more yelping and howling, YAY :) If your dogs are still suffering from it uncontrollably, I can give you some things to try.

Have you tried any basic dominance exercises with the dogs? This may help to keep them a lot more under control, especially on walks. Most all terriers need to be put in their place with dominance issues. Lolly is the only terrier I've seen that doesn't need that, but her shy, submissive personality comes from 5 years of severe abuse. If you need suggestions on dominance exercises, I can give you some of those too.

The good news is your dogs are no longer depressed, homeless dogs but now are confident little guys who probably feel very secure with you. Isn't rescuing dogs the BEST feeling?

Again, welcome to Pet Talk. You sound like you'll fit in just perfectly here! Full of love for your little pups just like the rest of us :) And I am so excited to see more poodle mixes :) Good luck with your training and let me know if you'd like me to elaborate on anything.

MaxnPeteysMom
09-01-2001, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Aly. Your little ones are precious!

Yes, if you could please elaborate on EVERYTHING :) - especially the separation anxiety issue and how you dealt with it, that would be great.

RachelJ
09-01-2001, 05:03 PM
I'm not an expert but I can't help thinking that a basic obedience class would go a long way in helping you get better control of your two dears. If they understand that you are the alpha in charge, they won't feel such a need to take the offensive while out and about. Your dogs need to know that you are the one in control and learn what behavior is not acceptable. Gentle and correct usuage of a chain training collar can help them learn. I just have the feeling that it wouldn't take too many corrections for them learn to control these unacceptable behaviors. These little poodle mixes smartee pups. Also as TollSett has pointed out, it may be easier to teach while handling them one at a time. When they both understand what is expected, then you can resume the walks together.

My dogs understand what I mean by "No bark". I taught this in a controlled situation. Hannah would stand on a chair looking out the window and bark. In that position I knew I could reach her when she was barking. She started barking and I said in a calm and firm voice "No bark!" I then reached over and held her mouth so she couldn't bark and then immediately praised her. "Good girl". It doesn't take much for them to understand what you mean. Now that they understand the command, you want to be able to enforce it. This is where a shake can like TollSett was talking about can make an impression or you might want to try a spray bottle with water. One fine spray in the face can stop a little barker in her tracks.

I also would like to recommend the "training manual for humans and their canine companions" called Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson. It has a wealth of helpful techniques.

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

MaxnPeteysMom
09-01-2001, 05:25 PM
I'll try all of those suggestions. Max has been through a lengthy obedience class process and happily Petey has picked it up by watching him. Problem is, hubby and I have been decidedly lax in putting them both through their paces. But although they both know "sit," "stay," "come," "wait," "heel," and "stay close," the "leave it" and "no bark" thing NEVER worked - of course :)!

We tried the shaker can - they didn't care. We tried the spray bottle with a vinegar/water mix as recommended by our trainer - Max just came out of it smelling like antipasto!!

We're starting again to put them both through their training paces. Our new apartment (yes, we're moving too - lovely timing) is pet friendly and all coming and going into the building is doine through our telephone - no more buzzers and bells to set them off, happily!

I'm hoping we'll be able to get an appointment with this behaviorist.

We've been thinking about doing another training class, but since we already have such specific voice and hand commands, do you folks think that would be confusing to them? Or can we inform the teacher that we're there for a refresher and will be working with the commands they respond to? Not quite sure what the etiquette is there.

carrie
09-01-2001, 08:40 PM
This is what I hate about dog training!
The "establishment" makes it unnerving, frightening and full of, all too often, deliberate pitfalls.

Please email me with your problems if you wish to and I will do what I can to help.

Do not feel like you do at the moment!

A dog training class is not what I would suggest. A half decent behaviourist will be helpful, honest and will not make you feel intimidated or that there is an etiquette to be observed.
These are your dogs and you are being honest, open and trusting in saying that you have problems. YOU are doing the right thing in trying to rectify these problems and anyone who makes you feel bad for that is wallowing in their own knowledge and the power that it gives them rather than showing any interest in the well being of your dogs or the fact that you are a good person trying to gain some insight.
I am very cross that you should feel you need advice on how to approach these people, as a whole, but totally understand that many are in the same boat as you. This is terrible. You are not alone in this and it is the best way to put people off seeking help that I can think of.
I know, before anyone tells me, that this a bit over the top ( and probably not what you meant at all! - sorry) but I have had so many emails in the last few months about exactly this sort of thing I have reached the end of my tether!
There is no magic, no special tricks and should be no special way to approach trainers or behaviourists.
Dog training is not quantum physics, it is not algebra, it is not even long division! Anyone who makes you feel like they have some secret knowledge that you don't....leave them well alone. It is just dog training - it can be harder than you think but it is not rocket science!
I would still go with one on one training with the right trainer.....but if you already feel like the underdog (pardon the pun) then STOP!
You don't have major problems, they are pretty easy to sort out with the right attitude from you ( you certainly don't have a problem there) and it is a crying shame that a) you feel so intimidated and b) there aren't more owners like you who want the best for their dogs.
Pooh to all dog trainers that make it more compicated than it is!

carrie
09-01-2001, 08:46 PM
Phew - I feel better, not sure that you do!!

lizbud
09-01-2001, 09:40 PM
MaxnPeteysMom,
Is'nt it refreshing to hear that you don't
have to feel intimidated , or that this
problem with your furkids is not solveable!!!
Carrie speaks from her heart, with years of
experience behind her...
I know you & your husband care very much
about your furkids; trust your instincts,and hope that you find the needed advise &
support for this problem soon...
Hang in there!!!

MaxnPeteysMom
09-01-2001, 11:19 PM
We've had some improvement today.

First off, tho, I got a call back from the behaviorist - WOW! Pricey! For three meetings - 1 1/2 hours at his office with us and the dogs, then 2 hours at home with him and the dogs, then another of the first type, plus contact in between? $850.00! OUCH!

In the meantime, hubby went out and got a second choke chain today and we started working the boys on their leads with great success in the house. We will keep doing this until we're ready to move them outside with more distraction.

Also, someone on this board - I didn't go back and look to see who it was - said they used the phrase "No bark" with their dogs and it worked. Well, I don't know what it is about that phrase, but for some reason they both seem to get it! Okay, I don't know WHAT'S up with that - we've had Max for three years and we've NEVER been able to get him to stop barking with ANYTHING, esp. not a command. But we're going to stick with this one.

As far as the training goes, I actually don't feel intimidated by it at all. We originally sent Max to doggie boot camp at a place in Chicago called Peter and the Wolf - and it was fantastic! If it wasn't for Peter and his wife, Jan, Max would probably still be terrified of other dogs and not know ANY commands.

The reason I brought up the etiquette is that every class teaches different verbal commands and hand signals, and since we're now in L.A., we'd have to go to a different teacher - I don't want to confuse the dogs since they're both so used to these signals already, but didn't want to give the teacher a hard time, that's all. More about the confusion than anything else.

Gosh - what a HUGELY supportive group you are - this is terrific!!

MaxnPeteysMom
09-01-2001, 11:21 PM
Rachel! She's the one who talked about the "No bark" command!

Bless you, Rachel :D!

aly
09-02-2001, 12:07 AM
Hi Liz. First I'll tell you a few dominance things then I'll make a post about the seperation anxiety.

Some of these things will be hard to do, but they really do help. I think the hardest is not letting your dogs sleep with you in your bed. I am not sure where they are sleeping now but it is suggested to gain dominance, they should sleep on the floor. If they sleep lower than you, they will look up to you as "top dog". Another thing is you should eat before feeding them their meals. Even if you just eat a cracker or something, be sure they see you eat first. You should also go through doorways first. I know especially with 2 dogs, this can be hard to control. You can teach them the wait command if they don't know it. Say the command, then you go through the door, then give them a release word so they can come through the door. You should be the one who starts and stops the games. If they come up to you waving toys in your face wanting to play, take the toy and have them sit or do a few commands, then you can play fetch or tug of war with them. When you're done playing, you stop the game and put the toy away so they don't think they have won.

It may not be necessary to do each of these things with your dogs. Doing a combination of two or three of them might work. Each dog is different so you can try out different dominance exercises and see what works.

aly
09-02-2001, 12:23 AM
Hmm, I can't find the search feature again. I made a really long post about seperation anxiety before and am trying to find it to copy and paste. Is the search link gone again or am I nuts?

Liz, I'll repost the seperation anxiety thing again tomorrow if I can't find this search feature tonight.

jackiesdaisy1935
09-02-2001, 09:29 AM
Aly, Oh my Gosh you sound like Carrie. ha ha
She must have rubbed off on you. I know I go against all rules by having Daisy sleep with me, no doubt about it and you and Carrie are right, when Daisy first started to sleep with me when I came out of the bathroom she would always be laying up on top of my pillow showing me she was alpha and when I moved her I would get a little growl, not much just a little one, well we got that straightened out and she knows where her place in the bed is now. She stays on her side with her own pillow. Gosh, I sure hope that Carrie doesn't read this post :D :D
Jackie

Dixieland Dancer
09-02-2001, 09:59 AM
You should NOT feel intimidated by anyone willing to help you do the best for your dogs. While I do not think you need to go to another set of obedience classes for getting your dogs to stop barking, if that is what you want then a good trainer will work with you, not against what your dogs already know. I speak here from experience because I attend classes on a regular basis and have even filled in occassionally in teaching. Even with the same instruction, every person seems to pick up a different flavor of doing the commands. Good trainers recognize this and work with the dogs owner.

With that being said....(thanks for letting me vent) a snowball would have a better chance in hell before I would pay someone $850.00 to help me get a dog to stop barking. Way to pricey and I think you could find someone more reasonable.

Anyway I have a book on training methods and I'll take a shot at relaying what it says about barking.

First there are many different kinds of barking. Barking is often tricky for humans to interpret becasue dogs bark in many situations and emotional states, including fear, distress, desire, and joy. There is spontaneous barking (the dog barks spontaneously when stressed or stimulated).

Next there is Learned barking. Whether they intend to or not, owners often encourage barking. If you reward your dog's vocal response to a "speak" command and then the dog barks repetitively to get the tasty reward even when not commanded, it was learned. Similarly, if your dog's insistent "let me in" bark prompts you to open the door, the dog will learn that barking loudly and long enough will get results. Sometimes, "innocent bystanders" reinforce barking. If your dog barks at the letter carrier who then leaves after dropping off the maik, the dog probably figures it has done a good job of scaring off and intruder.

Another form of barking is the Home-Alone barking. Some dogs bark just because there is nothing else to do. Separation Anxiety can also trigger excessive barking. In this case Barking relieves their stress.

Finally there are the bothersome barkers. Dogs who bark just to hear themselves and for no apparent reason.

In order to curtail problem barking, it is helpful to determine why your dog is barking. Like most dog behavior, barking is typically a symptom of an unsatified need, so determining the cause from a laundry list of possibilities becomes an owner's first major challenge.

Barking is simply a dog's means of communication to it's owner. It may be an attempt to stake out territory, or warn owners of intruders. Since dogs are social animals it could be a symptom of loneliness and an attempt to get attention. A lack of exercise and interaction with humans or other dogs may produce barking, as will boredom when left alone indoors for extended periods of time.

The solution is to teach controlled barking through reward training.

Reward training is especially useful at defusing such situations as a knock on the door, greeting strangers, etc. According to statistics reward training has at least an 85% success rate.

Basically train your dog to speak on cue. This gives you a measure of control over the barking, which is, after all a normal dog behavior. If you put a behavior problem on cue, it becomes an obedience response. It gives you the control over when, and to what extent, your dog barks.

Not only do you teach the speak command but you also need to teach the Shush command. Always treat the desired behavior never reward the unwanted. Never punish the dog for barking. The opposite of reward is not punishment - it's no reward. Be consistent. Have someone over that can help you with the behavior in the house. Gradually working to outside. It takes time to unlearn a behavior so be patient and you should have success before you know it.

Best of Luck!!!!

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Dixieland Dancer ]

MaxnPeteysMom
09-02-2001, 11:26 AM
Wow - awesome posts, all.

I'm here to report another minor victory. Hubby and I have each walked the dogs in the last 24 hours - him last night, me this morning. We had them both on their chokes, with a treat in our hands (not to mention baggies and keys - I need about 7 more hands :)!)

Each time we had them "stay close" (which is our command that means stay within two to four feet of us - not quite as stringent as "heel", but not a "free" walk). They did it. And everytime we saw them getting focused or overly breath - the signs that they are about to lunge at someone and bark their heads off - we said "No bark!", showed them the treat waiting for them, and they didn't make a sound or a move. We said, "Stay close" and they did it - ignoring the passerby.

It's going to take a long time to train them out of this, but after the little glimpse we've had, it's going to be worth every minute!!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-02-2001, 12:38 PM
Liz it sounds like you are making very good progress with both of them. Thats great, I think with common sense you can do it on your own without the pricey expert. We have the same trouble with Daisy and Perry, can't walk by any dog or person without them barking and attacking. If we walk one of them they are fine, it's only when we walk them both together. We are working on that, kind of let it go, but it is embarressing when you take them somewhere so trying to take some control. It just takes a lot of repetition and time.
Jackie

RachelJ
09-02-2001, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by MaxnPeteysMom:
<STRONG>We can't walk them apart - at least not at the moment - because they cry and bark even worse when they are apart. We've created monsters! :)</STRONG>

Yes you can. Remember, you are in charge and they are the ones with the chain collars around their necks.

You take one out and your husband can stay home with the other to deal with his behavior. Inappropriate, aggressive behavior gets a "No" and a quick correction. Don't forget to praise as soon as the inappropriate behavior stops.

Keep up the good work.

Dixieland Dancer
09-02-2001, 04:51 PM
I have finished my update above. Sorry you had to get it in two parts. Again Best of luck in solving the problem.
;)

carrie
09-02-2001, 05:28 PM
MaxnPeteysMom - Good work! You are doing brilliantly!

Jackie!!!! If I didn't know you I would swear you were winding me up!!! With her own pillow???? PLEASE!!!!!!
Daisy - you have your Mom trained beautifully!

$850 dollars???? I am moving Stateside!!!!

An income like that could give me the lifestyle I have always dreamed of! With Jackie and Don looking after the kids and housing me too...Easy Street here I come!
I charge £30 for an initial meeting at the dog's home and a short walk, car journey and a free run. I then work out a plan, visit again to explain and check the dog is responding as I expected (£10). Any further help is usually planned and priced in advance - I'm doing something wrong here as I am still driving a 10 year old car, don't have holidays and my best wellies are three years old! (I do have a lot of happy dogs around and that is what it is all about!)

RachelJ
09-02-2001, 07:48 PM
When Hannah was a puppy I was given a coupon for one free session with a trainer who would come to our house. With Hannah being a very difficult puppy, it wasn't long before I called the number on the paper. After the one hour session, I was quite impressed with the trainer and felt I really wanted to pay her instead of accepting it as a freebie. I almost dropped my checkbook when she said the fee was $200.00. I asked if future sessions would be that price as well. She said, yes. Needless to say we didn't see that trainer again.

MaxnPeteysMom
09-02-2001, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the updated post - it's great information. Rachel, you're hilarious - it was my bad. We have walked them separately and it's fine. They do sleep on the bed with us, but they only come on the bed when invited, and when we say "Off" they hop right on down, no questions asked.

Yeah, we thought the price was a bit steep, too! So we'll stick with what we're doing. We've been giving the "No bark" command for over 24 hours now and it's working well, as is the treat-for-no-jumping-and-quiet method.

Can't wait to move into our new place. No buzzers, no doorbell, and the front door is farthest from the place where we'll be hanging out the most, which means no outside noises to set off more barking!

Stenograsaurus
09-02-2001, 08:40 PM
Carrie, I think I'm moving to where you are. When I spoke to a trainer about my dog's aggression, the fee was $1,000.00 and she would not guarantee that she could help. I live in a very rural area and she was the only local one around!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-02-2001, 09:08 PM
Carrie, I would love to have you here.
I told Daisy what you said and she said to tell you she does have me trained but I make her sleep on her own pillow and she doesn't think that is fair. :D :D :D
Jackie

MaxnPeteysMom
09-03-2001, 02:18 AM
Just now back from another successful walk. I don't know why this is working all of a sudden, but we're certainly not going to let up until we know it sticks :)!

RachelJ
09-03-2001, 08:42 AM
You got it! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/party/yelclap.gif