PDA

View Full Version : Kids? Dogs? Kids? Dogs? Kids??? DOGS!!!!

RICHARD
10-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Hotel bans kids, allows dogs

A top hotel in an upmarket Austrian resorts has slapped a ban on young children - but is still letting in dogs.

Hotel Cortisen owner Roland Ballner, 38, said the children were always badly behaved and invariably more trouble than they were worth.

He claimed bookings had flooded in since he promised to kick out kids under the age of 12 from May next year.

But he added that dogs would still be allowed as they were far better trained and didnt vandalise his hotel like children did.

His property is in one of the best locations on the St. Wolfgang, near Gmunden, on the Wolfgangsee lake.

He said: "My guests have a right to quiet and relaxation without the noise of children.

"In most cases where they are badly behaved though the parents are to blame, they seem to feel they are here to relax and wash their hands of their children's bad behaviour."

Ballner said he had invested 2.5 million euros in his hotel and he could not tolerate "children drawing with felt-tipped pens on white leather couches" and other vandalism.

christa
10-17-2005, 07:15 PM
He said: "My guests have a right to quiet and relaxation without the noise of children.

This takes me back to apartment life . . .

Close quarters . . . paper thin walls . . .very similar to a hotel type of situation.

I can think of 3 specific instances in which we either knocked on the neighbor's door or called the police because of a noise disturbance . . .

And it wasn't a kid that was being disturbing.

:rolleyes:

In either case, the parent/owner should be banned if they can't keep their kid/dog quiet enough to let the neighbors around them sleep.

This story is just all messed up!

christa
10-17-2005, 07:17 PM
I will add . . . my SIL & her new husband went on their honeymoon to a resort in Mexico that didn't allow children under 18. But it was classified as a HONEYMOON DESTINATION. Which is understandable.

I think my problem with this guy is his attitude about it all. He could have went about it differently and defintiely made himself sound much classier and less like a jerk.

Twisterdog
10-17-2005, 08:52 PM
I personally think having Child/Child-Free restaurants, hotels, etc. is a VERY good idea.

And, I have a child.

But knowing that if you don't have kids, or you DO have kids and want a night or a week out away from your kids ... and other people's kids ... that you know where to go would be very nice. Also, when my son was younger, he was not always perfectly behaved in public (NO child is!), and I was sometimes humiliated by his behavior, and subjected to nasty looks from those without kids. It would have been nice to be somewhere where I knew everyone else there also had a child, and could understand and empathise.

I do think, too, that a lot of people don't use common sense and/or common courtesy with kids. For example, if you eat at McDonalds, I think you'd better assume it is going to be full of kids. Don't like kids? Go through the drive-through or eat somewhere else. Conversely, I don't think small children belong in very nice restaurants. If everyone there is in suit and tie, and it candlelit ... best leave the kids with a sitter. Common sense, right? But soooo many people don't seem to get it. Same with hotels: When my son and I went to Las Vegas when he was small, we stayed at Circus Circus ... with 10,000 other families with small kids. When we went back the next time, and he was a teenager, we stayed at the Luxor ... because he was old enough to behave like an adult. Common sense.

G.P.girl
10-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Hmm....it makes sense to me. if kids are tearing up the hotel and dogs arent...why not ban the kids. and theres no reason to ban dogs just because kids cant behave. i would stay there ;)

PJ's Mom
10-17-2005, 11:06 PM
I like the idea. It's about time someone came up with something like this. :)

Logan
10-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Conversely, I don't think small children belong in very nice restaurants. If everyone there is in suit and tie, and it candlelit ... best leave the kids with a sitter. Common sense, right? But soooo many people don't seem to get it.

Amen, Twisterdog! :) I'm a mother, too, and on a rare occasion, my husband and I get to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant, without the kids. Just this past Saturday night, we did just that, and instead of a quiet dinner, we had people next to our table with a whiney, young child, who had no business being out that late (should have been in bed) who disturbed our entire meal, and everyone else in the restaurant. We overheard the mother say to the father, "this is the last time we take him out in public". Well, so good of you to realize, lady, that your child, and YOU, ruined a lot of people's dinner. We weren't at Ryan's steakhouse. We were at an expensive restaurant. I can't imagine! I would have picked him up and walked out, had it been me. And I did do that when my child was young, but it didn't take but about twice for me to realize that there were some places she didn't need to go until she was older.

As for the hotel guy, good for him. He's a businessman and he obviously has learned what it takes for his hotel to be successful. I am not offended in the least.

Logan

CathyBogart
10-17-2005, 11:26 PM
SWEET! There need to be many more places like this. :) :) :) It's so hard to go out and get some peace and quiet.

ETA: I don't think the guy was being a jerk at all! If children are doing things that cost him thousands of dollars to repair (drawing on leather couches?!) he can't afford to let them in.

dukedogsmom
10-18-2005, 01:57 AM
I thinks it's great! Twisterdog and Logan, if only there were lots more parents like you, it would be a much nicer world. Some people seem to think it's alright to take kids anywhere, including bars. I applaud the man. Unfortunaely, nothing like this will be allowed in the U.S. Someone would more than likely sue.

Logan
10-18-2005, 08:23 AM
You know, Val, many bed and breakfast inns do not allow children, and that's right here in the United States.

Don't get me wrong, you guys, I LOVE children, but I think there standards that parents need to apply in properly raising their children, and one is appropriate behavior and manners for public places! And until you have that figured out with your kids, you shouldn't put them in situations where they will disturb others. I was thinking about that family with that child we saw in the restaurant the other night and their dinner had to be expensive too, and how in the world could they enjoy it? Maybe they learned a lesson! One can only hope.

This whole thing made me remember back on a situation that I put Helen and myself in, when she was just too young. My sister and I took the kids to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (sp?) in the movie theater. Helen couldn't have even been 3 years old yet. She behaved horribly and I had to end up taking her out and I got mad at her. I've never forgotten that incident and how I got mad at the wrong person. I should have gotten mad at myself instead (and I did.......since I'm still feeling guilty about it 12 years later :o ).

Logan

finn's mom
10-18-2005, 08:29 AM
I think it's a great idea. It sounds like his decision was a smart one, for his situation.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-18-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm right with you TwisterDog. Some places are just not places children should be. Movie theaters are one of my big things. I know and expect to see children if I go to see a movie rated G or even PG. I don't want to see small children in a movie rated PG-13 or R. Justin and I went to see The Exorcism of Emily Rose and there was a couple people with very young children there. I was flabbergasted that someone would take their young child to that movie, good greif, it scared me. One of the children was even crying at one point.

jennifert9
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Cool!! I think it's a great idea also! When I was a waitress, I always said they should allow dogs in the restaurant and NOT children!!
I mean, Duncan would just sit their quietly next to me while I ate and then do his business outside, not right at the table!!! :eek: :p

lizbud
10-18-2005, 07:30 PM
This man's idea makes perfect sense to me. :)