PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone sew here?

lv4dogs
10-17-2005, 02:46 PM
i just bought a new sewing machine (my old one was just a straight stitch machine from the sweatshops back in the 1800's). This thing has so many gadgets on it I don't know what to do. lol
Looks like I need a refresher course. I have only sewn a few things with my old machine, otherwise I haven't sewn since high school, about 15 years ago. :eek:

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites for learning about sewing?
Or books? Or an LJ community? Anything? lol
Like I don't know what feet to use for what, or what stitch to use for what etc...

I'm looking for classes in my area but am not having much luck. Most of them are a little too far away for winter driving for me, or they do not have a beginner class or their classes already started.

janelle
10-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Did a book come with the machine? Practice sewing the different stitches on a piece of scrap material.

Look on TV for sewing shows. I learned the most watching others sew on TV. Or look for your County Extension programs in your area. They will have hands on instruction and people there to show you.

lv4dogs
10-17-2005, 03:40 PM
yeah it came with a book and that explains the stitches a little bit but not as much as I'd like. And it doesn't expalin anything about the different feet at all.

I've been looking for classes in my area but am running out of luck. All of the classes that I have found so far are either doing advanced classes, already started the beginer classes or are too far away. I'll keep looking though.

Thanks, I'll check out my tv programs.

janelle
10-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Experiment on your own. I never used some of the feet that came with my machine and I sewed for others for years. The book should tell you what they are for. The machines are getting so sophisticated now a days I bet you won't use lots of what is on it. I never did.

Just jump in and try things for yourself. It's fun.

jackie
10-17-2005, 04:32 PM
My mother just bought a sewing machine for me when I come back home. I was so excited I already have been trying to learn a few things off of the internet.

Click Me (http://www.sewing.org/)

And Me (http://www.allcrafts.net/sewing.htm)

If I find any other good ones, I will post them.

Lobodeb
10-17-2005, 05:08 PM
I can sew an ugly hem, and that's about it. I too would like to learn more, quilting specifially.

I know dukedogsmom sews. Hopefully she'll see this thread. Also, have you checked with your local fabric store to see if they offer classes? DIY.net might be another place to look.

Good luck and be sure to share your first creation with us! :D

lv4dogs
10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the links Jackie. I checked them out a little bit & they sure seem like they will help.

And I have been checking around to find classes, like I said most are either not doing beginer classes or already started them or it is too far of a drive. I'm still looking though and am on a waiting list for one in spring, but I hope to find one closer & sooner. :)

Daisy and Delilah
10-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I do sew quite a bit Sue. You've been given some good suggestions already. Have you checked your local library for books? That's basically how I learned to sew. I have a ton of books that I own that are very good and I know we have them at the library too(I work there). My local quilt shops offer a ton of classes. They're usually from A to Z in sewing. They go from beginning to advanced. Do you have any good quilt shops around you? They generally run beginner's classes every month here so you could probably get in one pretty soon if you have any nearby. If you want, PM me or post here the type of machine you have and the types of feet you're wondering about. I'll try to help as much as I can. I'm going to work soon but I'll check back later. I love to hear about people sewing. It's a great hobby!! :) Terry

lv4dogs
10-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Thans Terry. I'll check out the library and the such see what I can find.

Sewing is great isn't it. I've already made a few cat toys, dog toys & bandannas for the ruppers. lol