PDA

View Full Version : Jack's side of the story

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Ok, so you've all read Peanut's side of the vet visit (and thank you all so much for all your good thoughts), so here's CJ's side of the story.

I took him in to do allergy testing. Since he's been on pred. his diarrhea has not completely cleared up, but it's so much better. He gained another 1/2 pound (which is a good thing), he is throwing up a lot less and he's shedding less, all of which indicates to me that the nutrients in the food are now being absorbed instead of going right through him. So we want to do allergy testing.

So anyway, they do allergy testing in cats by taking blood - and they need a lot of it. CJ was ok during the exam, although they do have to scruff him because he tries to get away so bad (compared to Peanut who is usually so scared she just lets them do what they want). So they take him in back, and about two minutes later the vet pokes his head back in the room and says they'll have to sedate him to get blood because he was fighting them so much. I completely understood because I know how he is to pill, and that's just a quick open, throw it in, close type of thing where getting blood takes more time and it is really helpful if the cat sits still during it.

I didn't see any stars get put on his chart, but I'm sure they made a notation for future reference. :rolleyes: They didn't want to sedate him then and there because he had eaten. So I have to bring him back another day after having not eaten since the night before. :rolleyes:

The good news is that I asked since he's going to be sedated, is there anything else that needs to be done - like a dental - while he's under. The vet said no, his teeth look fine. Yes, I could do a dental, but he really didn't think it was necessary. He appears to be perfectly healthy in every other aspect besides the diarrhea, so it's just the persistent diarrhea that's at issue here.

So my snotty little boy is a fighter. :rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
10-17-2005, 10:24 AM
My (RB) Y.Lee used to hate the blood tests that had to be done for his diabetes, but he never needed to be sedated. :eek: NAW-TEE Cracker Jack!!!

ramanth
10-17-2005, 11:19 AM
It's okay CJ, I understand. I don't like having my blood taken either! :eek: :p ;)

Lobodeb
10-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Aww CJ, no one likes being stuck with needles, but it's for your own good, ok? Try to be a little more cooperative so you'll get a star or two. ;)

Barbara
10-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Lady Edwina thinks some stars in the vet file is an absolute must-have :D
Poor CJ, not eating one night will probably be worse (for all of you :p ) than the blood test.

Felix
10-17-2005, 11:48 AM
:eek: Needles :eek: ...but not eating the night before is much harder..trust me ;)

Good Luck,Felix.

jackie
10-17-2005, 12:02 PM
I get a bit miffed when the doc wants blood from me, so I completely understand!

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-17-2005, 12:43 PM
It's okay CJ, I understand. I don't like having my blood taken either! :eek: :p ;)

So they sedate you too then :confused: ;)
LOL!!

Aw CJ, that was not very clever, now your meowmie won't give you food for a lonnnnng lonnnng time :eek: :(

ramanth
10-17-2005, 01:13 PM
So they sedate you too then :confused: ;)
LOL!!
:D One of these days they might! ;) I usually end up passing out after I have blood taken. Not sure why. I don't watch them do it and I'll be calm and then *bam*, out like a light.

The nurses get mad at ME! :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

rg_girlca
10-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Poor CJ. I don't know what is going to be worse for you, the needle or not being able to eat.

I also hate needles and feel like I am going to faint when it comes time to have blood tests taken, so I understand how you feel.

Good luck Debbie with this one. I think you are going to need it. :)

orangemm
10-17-2005, 02:52 PM
I feel for you, CJ! It's no fun being stuck. But do try to keep the ruckus down to a minimum; you want at least ONE star in your file!! :D :D :D

catnapper
10-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Well.... we always knew you were a scrappy little dude! Go give them a piece of your mind -- after all, its YOUR blood they're trying to take! :D ;)

Glad that he's compleely healthy except for the chronic diarreah part. I hope you get some answers from the blood test.

CalliesMom
10-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Nawtee nawtee CJ. I hope his sedation goes well and they have no problems drawing blood.

catmandu
10-17-2005, 08:41 PM
CJ,you dont have to like have bllod being taken,but the reason that we Found Cats,are so healthy,is that we have a wonderful Vet Dr Peter Marsales,who does this,so we are Healthy.
Dont fight,and your Meeowmie,may give you a TREAT!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Scan10009.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
10-18-2005, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't have thought that CJ was such a fighter. I know that I don't like to have my blood taken either so I always look the other way while they're taking it. I'm glad to hear that CJ's fine in all other areas and hopefully the allergy test will provide you with the results to help his chronic diarrhea. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated. :)