PDA

View Full Version : A terrible scare, yesterday.......

Logan
10-17-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm going to copy and paste a message I sent to some of my cat friends, yesterday to explain all of this. What I can tell you, before you even start reading is that Mimi is eating, resting well (right at my feet) in the midst of the precious dogs that love her so much, with very little interest in going near the door. I did walk out with her this morning, where she did her business and came right back inside. Everything is ok, if my heart will ever stop pounding.......

It has been a frightening afternoon here, and I know some of you are going to be thinking "I told you so"(in regards to having indoor/outdoor cats), but please don't say it to me right now. I'm far too upset for that. Helen and I drove into the driveway around 5:45 and I immediately noticed two dogs in our front yard.....not our dogs. One was shaking something and pawing at the ground in the front flower bed. It was my Mimi he was shaking. I immediately laid on the horn, threw the car into park, jumped out and started screaming at him. I guess it startled him just enough for him to let go for a second and he did, and she, bless her 16 year old heart, ran up a tree. Only problem is she ran way, way up, and appeared to be struggling to get there. We got the 16 ft extension ladder, which I held, and Helen climbed, but we couldn't get close enough to her to reach her and she wasn't budging. The top of the ladder was probably still 6-7 feet from the limb she was on. She panted and she was breathing so hard, but I had no way of knowing if that was fright, pain, or a combination of both. We desperately called our friends Randy and Sherry to see if they would bring their pickup truck over. We couldn't find any of them. Our next door neighbor who has a pickup truck wasn't at home. I called another neighbor and she was home, but she said she couldn't drive their old pickup because it had a clutch. Well, I could, and I did. Drove the truck up under the tree, moved some things in the back of it and got the ladder in there and secure, and bless my darling baby girl's heart, she climbed up that ladder and was able to get Mimi with one hand. Thank goodness Mimi was willing to turn around on the limb and move towards her hand. She adores Helen and I think it worked better than if Scott or I had been trying. She rode down the ladder on Helen's shoulder, purring her sweet little heart out. I guess their bond got even better. Helen was scared to death. She hates heights, but she was bound and determined that I wasn't going to climb the ladder. So I secured it and held on tight and she did the hard part. Mimi didn't even scratch her.

She has no puncture wounds, no signs of anything except being tired and maybe a bit stiff. This dog appeared to be a Boxer, and when I started screaming, it and the other dog that was with it, ran off. I did notice that they appeared to be healthy, but I couldn't tell if either was wearing a collar. Frankly, I didn't look. Scott and I did go looking after he got back home, but we didn't find them.

Mimi has eaten, is curled up in the living room now, and if I can possibly make it happen, she will not go outside without one of us with her again. She was right here in our own front yard. We never have stray dogs. Turns out that Butter was outside at the same time, but he was sleeping on the porch next door. He might have inflicted some damage on that dog, but the 5 lb girl, being so old, didn't have it in her. All I know is that we were very lucky to have driven up exactly when we did.

Logan

Logan
10-17-2005, 08:33 AM
My good friend, Rachel, put it all in perspective in her email back to me this morning:

Poor, poor Mimi. Such a sweet heart and was probably so unsuspecting of the danger when the dogs came round otherwise she would have gotten away before they had a chance to pounce on her. I'm convinced the hand of God directed you home at the exact right time. Just think, even if you had been at home, you more than likely would not have know what was going on out front. This was split second timing. Mimi must have her own personal guardian angel.

tricollie4me
10-17-2005, 08:35 AM
Yikes -- what a scary thing to have happen! I'm so glad you got home in time to break that up and that your Mimi is safe and sound. Extra treats for your girl today!

anna_66
10-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Logan you must have been scared to death, I know I would have been.
I'm just so glad to hear that sweet girl of yours is ok, she is one lucky girl!
Skritches for your darling Mimi.

prechrswife
10-17-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm so glad Mimi is okay.

jenluckenbach
10-17-2005, 09:15 AM
I am crying and cringing at the mental picture of that poor littl Mimi girl. :(

I am so glad that she seems OK after her ordeal.

Logan
10-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Thank you all for your good wishes........things are terrific this morning and Mimi seems to be just fine. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-17-2005, 09:56 AM
On no! Poor little Mimi!! I agree that she probably had not even the faintest inkling to be afraid of the dogs since the ones she knows are so gentle. I'm so glad she's ok and you got there when you did. Almost sounds like you got there right at the beginning or the dogs might have done more damage.

And Helen - my goodness what a brave girl you have there! It's so sweet that even though she's afraid of heights she wasn't about to let you go up the ladder.

I just hope the next cat these dogs come across is more like a Butter so they learn their lesson and leave cats alone from now on! :mad:

Barbara
10-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Oh no!!!!!!! So much luck!!!!! I am besides me when I think of what could have happened. A cat's best chance is to run up and away and to hide- and that dog got her already :eek:

I am so glad that you had that introductory part in your mail telling that sweet Mimi was ok!!!! I am so glad that she recognized that Helen only wanted to help her. She must have a very good basical trust or she would not have moved from this tree.

Oh, you will be so happy that she is ok now- and so am I. Sending some scritchies for Butter too ( and telling him that next time there is someone whom he would be allowed to bite and scratch ;))

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-17-2005, 10:01 AM
OMG, what a horrible thing to happen!! I would have freaked out totally :eek: ! I admire you for being so brave and finding the solution of how to free poor Mimi :) . I agree with the others, you were "called home", the timing was to perfect to say you were just lucky!!
I am so glad that Mimi is okay; I hope this won't be to traumatical for her :confused: .
Did you take her to the vet? I would ask to give her a tetanus-shot, just in case....

Killearn Kitties
10-17-2005, 10:37 AM
What a terrible experience for all of you! I'm so glad that poor little Mimi has spent a comfortable night and seems to be fine today.

The girls send the gentlest headbumpies to Mimi after her ordeal and BIG PURRS to you and Helen!

ramanth
10-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Poor Mimi. :eek: I probably would of died from fright had I witnessed that.

How brave of Helen to go up the ladder. I hope Mimi is a-okay, inside and out. *hugs*

Felix
10-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I am sooo glad that Mimi is ok :) This could of been a much worse situation if you never showed up when you did :eek: ..your very lucky!!Helen,you done such a great job in getting Mimi down...I think you may have concord your own fear of heights. ;) It goes to show that we will go to great lengths to make sure our pets are happy and safe.God bless your little heart.I hope Mimi is back to herself soon!!

Feel better soon treats from Felix and his Meowmie :D :D :D

Lobodeb
10-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Wow! How terrifying! I couldn't imagine what it would be like to watch your cat in that situation. :eek:

Thank God that everything turned out ok.

Kudos to everyone for helping when they were needed.

krazyaboutkatz
10-17-2005, 11:50 AM
How scary!!! :eek: I'm so glad that you got home when you did and that Mimi is now safe and doing well. :)

popcornbird
10-17-2005, 12:18 PM
OMG! :eek: My heart was beating so hard as I read your post. Poor, poor Mimi! :( THANK GOD you showed up when you did!!! Poor little Mimi. I can't imagine how terrified she must have been. Hope those dogs won't EVER show up again. Kisses and scritches to little Mimi.

lizbud
10-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm so glad you & Helen arrived in time. I would have been frantic too.
Such a scary thing to have happened. Take it easy sweet Mimi & stay safe.

Something like that happened in the neighbor's front yard several years ago.
I noticed two stray dogs flipping something into the air & thought in was a
rag or someone's doormat. By the time I got outside it was to late for the stray cat that they had come upon. :( I chased the dogs away from the body and buried it out back.I was upset for days & I didn't even know any
of the animals. :(

momoffuzzyfaces
10-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh, my goodness!

I've got tears in my eyes just reading this even though the sweetie is ok.

I'm sure she does have guardian angels. At least two: you and Helen.

Please give Mimi a head kiss or hug or both from me, ok?

rg_girlca
10-17-2005, 01:11 PM
What a scary situation. I am so glad to hear that Mimi is okay and that Helen overcame her fear of heights to rescue poor Mimi out of the tree.

Hugs and kisses to your sweet Mimi.

Do you think that this will make her a little leery now to go outside?

Edwina's Secretary
10-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Dearest Mimi....

Darling, I am sooo glad you are safe in the loving arms of your family. I don't know WHY you don't believe me about D O G S! I know what you are going to say...the ones you live with are very nice and just big ole heating pads for you. But trust me....they are the exception. Now let's practice that Stranger Danger thing again!

Gratefully,

Winne...

catmandu
10-17-2005, 08:33 PM
A Pox,on these Idiots who let thier Dogs roam loose,like that.
One day,it may be a child that they maul.
If these Dogs are strays,a Doule Pox,on who ever abandoned them,to this fate.
I am glad that Mimi,is all right,and its a shame,that she will have,to stay inside,for safetys sake!!

catnapper
10-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Oh my! Poor Moimio! Poor meowmie! I hope she's ok, and that the dog ever comes around again.

Vermontcat
10-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Oh No! Poor Mimi! And poor you and Helen too!
I'm so glad that you two got there in time to rescue her.
Don't be surprised is she is afraid to go outside for a while.
A few years ago Samantha got in a fight with a big tomcat from up the road right on our front porch.
She was afraid to go outside for months after that.
I would spoil Mimi and keep her in as much as possible and only let her out when someone is home to keep an eye on her.
Hugs to you Logan, it must have been so scary.
I'm happy to hear that sweet Mimi is ok.

shais_mom
10-17-2005, 10:06 PM
poor MiMi.
I am glad the little sweetheart is ok.
Will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen
10-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Oh, Logan - thank you for posting as you did, with the "all clear" at the beginning. Even still, my heart was in my throat as I read on. Poor Mimi! Lots of snuggles and skritches to Mimi, and a big bracing hug for Helen, for doing the climbing despite her fear of heights. I'm not afraid of heights, but my Mom was, and know it is no joking matter.

Now, Butter - next time Mimi goes out, I want you on guard cat duty - those are dogs you are allowed to inflict damage on!

Logan
10-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Karen, I think Helen probably inherited that fear of heights from her dad, and I guess a bit from me, too. Although I love rollercoasters, airplanes, tall buildings, etc, climbing ladders, getting on the roof, and some of those "team building" exercises where you walk tight ropes and things like that, scare me to death! :eek: I kept telling her "don't look down". I would have climbed that ladder in a heartbeat to get to Mimi, but Helen wouldn't hear of it. And it all worked out. Thank God!!!! :)

Mimi is doing just fine. She has gone outside a couple of times today, but only on the back deck and in the back yard, and funny enough, as one of you suggested, Butter has mysteriously been very close by. Good boy!!! :) That same good boy bit my toe tonight as I was going to prop my feet up on one of the empty chairs (or so I thought) while Helen and I were eating dinner tonight! :D Feisty boy!!!!!

I wish all dogs could be as gentle as mine are. Of course, my dogs have learned very quickly in their lives exactly who is "boss" in this house and the cats definitely rule, and they have claws and will use them if necessary.

Thank you all so much for understanding the situation and not passing judgement. We learned a very tough lesson yesterday and will be more aware of where the cats are going forward, before we leave and while we are at home.

Logan

AmberLee
10-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Whew!!! :eek:

I missed this post somehow. So glad that Mimi is okay, and brother Butter is being protective. What a horror to go through!

So glad all is well now.

orangemm
10-18-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm with everyone else...my heart was in my throat while I read your post. I cannot imagine what went through your mind when you pulled up to see that terrifying sight.

Thank God Mimi is doing all right! It is amazing what we can do during emergencies.

Give that sweet girl lots of headbumpies and scritches from me and the boys.

(((((hugs)))))

jazzcat
10-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm so glad she is okay. Poor Mimi, and everyone!

kuhio98
10-18-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm so glad that Mimi is okay. Have you asked around the neighborhood about the dogs? The owners might not be aware that their dogs "wander" during the day and might be able to do something about it so that this doesn't happen again.

auggie
10-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Oh, Logan I was afraid to read this. I'm so glad that Mimi is ok.
What a scare that must have been to you guys.
Good boy Butter watching over Mimi. It almost sounds like he is trying to protect her.

trayi52
10-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Logan, I am so glad to hear that Mimi is okay! I would have been so scared to have witnessed such a terrible site! You and Helen are indeed Mimi's guardian angel to have appeared when you did and saved her. Thank God!

Willie

kittylover4ever
10-19-2005, 07:47 PM
OHHH My, that story gave me chills. So glad it all turned out ok!!

ChrisH
10-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Oh, Logan, what a nightmare. Thank God you arrived home when you did.
Lots of scritches & cuddles to sweet Mimi and the biggest of hugs to Helen for braving that climb to get Mimi down.

doolittleky
10-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Logan,
I have skipped over this post because there are times when I just can't take reading sad things that happen especially to animals. It makes me feel bad because I want to support my friends and I do care about them but I can't handle reading it. Things like this are my worst nightmare for cats and other small animals. reading it makes me have nightmares and puts me into depression so even though I want to try and comfort myf riends i can't and it is not because i don't care. I am so glad that Mimi is ok and that the angels were watching over her.
Melissa