PDA

View Full Version : Pyometra

sewmisskitty
10-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Gracie is our 14 year old Yorkshire terrier cross. She has the sweetest nature, and has never been sick a day in her life - until now. Our vet tells us Gracie has Pyometra. She is having an operation tomorrow to remove her infected uterus. She is very sick and currently at the vets on a drip. We have been told she will die without the operation, and that all surgery carries a risk. But we have never heard of Pyometra, so would really like some info, especially if you have gone through this with your own dog.
Please all, fingers crossed for Gracie.

sammy101
10-16-2005, 03:51 PM
I've never heard of Pyometra.
I hope Gracie is ok,i'll be thinking of her.

Karen
10-16-2005, 04:02 PM
I have only heard of Pyometra in dogs that were continually bred, or bred too often. Katie will be in our prayers for a full recovery.

Nomilynn
10-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Pyometra literally stands for puss in the uterus. It happens when people don't get their dogs spayed, and I believe it is more common in dogs that have had a litter and then weren't spayed but I might be wrong. It requires very serious antibiotics because the uterus is filled with infection. She will likely have to stay after her surgery for a day or two. Where I work it is considered an urgent matter, and I've seem a few pyo spays and all the dogs have recovered well.

sewmisskitty
10-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks all so far. Gracie is un spayed, yes, but she has never had puppies or been bred.

wolfsoul
10-16-2005, 05:43 PM
We rescued a rottweiler that the vet thought had pyometra. It turns out she didn't, but it is a very serious matter. This is one of the reasons a dog should really be spayed if she isn't going to be shown or bred. I'm glad to hear that she is getting her surgery tomorrow.

Karen
10-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Good luck with Sir Jury, Gracie!

sewmisskitty
10-18-2005, 02:21 PM
A very bad day. Gracie is still at the vets. The operation went okay, but after first being told we would be taking her home today, they later rang us to say Gracie has developed PERITONITIS.
We went to visit her straight away, she is still on a drip and being given antibiotics every 40 minutes. She's not eating, so is being force fed. She's on painkillers and is very depressed.
We are in tears. It is all looking so bleak. Please someone tell me their dog went through this and survived.
This is so WRONG - Gracie is so much loved and this is breaking all our hearts. We hate to see her going through this.

carole
10-18-2005, 03:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear your lil Gracie is going through all of this right now, and I know you will be worried sick, please know we are all hoping Gracie will get through this and recover well , HUGS to you and your family and of course wee Gracie.

lv4dogs
10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Oh I am sorry to hear that. We're sending Gracie tons of get well thoughts.

sewmisskitty
10-24-2005, 01:34 PM
:D Thankyou all for your positive thoughts. They seem to have done the trick. Gracie is home from the vet and is in recovery. She's also being spoiled rotten. The only thing is she's relutant to eat, and when she will eat it's only tiny bits. Still at least she's over the worst, and even wagging her tail again. :D

Pit Chick
10-25-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm glad to hear she's home and doing better. They usually don't have much of an apetite after going through surgery. Once the drugs wear off she should start eating more. Since she's an older dog it will be harder for her to bounce back than a younger dog.

This is a lesson hard learned about the importance of spaying and neutering that I hope anyone reading this and has unaltered animals will take into consideration and have their pets spayed/neutered before something bad happens whether it be an accidental litter, cancer, or pyometra. And don't fool yourself with "it won't happen to my dog", sewmisskitty didn't think so either.

Best wishes to Gracie.

carole
10-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Awesome news, I am thrilled to hear wee Gracie is doing much better, continue to spoil your wee girl rotten won't you , she sure deserves it after all she has been through, glad to know she is home and in loving hands again.

finn's mom
10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't visit this section often, so, I missed this when it was first posted about Gracie being sick. I'm glad to hear that she's recovering. She's obviously already had a good, long life, she's a trooper! And, a cute one at that, I love the photos you've shared of her. You should post more of her in Dog General, if you haven't already. :)