PDA

View Full Version : Buying Pup and Deworming

emc
10-16-2005, 01:34 PM
I've been looking for a new puppy for a while and I found one that I would like. The ad said the puppy will have her first shots but it didn't say anything about deworming so I emailed and asked if the puppy will be dewormed. She wrote back the puppy is just over 6 weeks and that she will be dewormed when she's ready to go in 2 weeks and she goe's on to say that the deworming comes with the shots! This is what I don't get, doesn't deworming start at 2 weeks of age?

What do you all make of this? To me it sounds like the pup wasn't dewormed up to this time and she's going to do it on her next visit to the vet because I asked about it. I really want this puppy and I don't know whether to proceed, my family is suppose to go down and look at it today and put a deposit down. Any advice, should I make her sign some sort of agreement that she'll provide me with a vet statement that the pup is worm free or what? Should I walk away? I really want this puppy but I don't want any problems and I don't know anything about this deworming stuff.

DogLover9501
10-16-2005, 01:48 PM
First I wanted to say that I would not buy a dog that was advertised in a newspaper(or anything along those lines). As they were probably bred irresponsibly.

Second, yes puppies can/should be dewormed at a very young age. Some breeders deworm the mother during pregnancy, as they can be born with worms.

LuvGold00
10-16-2005, 02:32 PM
I deworm my puppies starting at 2 weeks old, and every other week after that until they go home. I also deworm the Mother of the litter also.

If there is any doubt in your mind that this puppy isn't getting the care it needs, I would look somewhere else.