PDA

View Full Version : new puppy- help

dab_20
10-14-2005, 07:42 PM
we lost a cocker spaniel this summer. me and my mom have decided we are ready to get another. my mom called someone who had a cocker puppy for sale for 100 dollars. we are going to go look at it tomorrow. i have ALWAYS wanted a black and white cocker. and that is what it is. but the thing is- my 1 year old dog, molli, is in her first heat. and this puppy is a male. will he make her pregnant?? or be aggresive toward her?? the puppy is only 9 weeks. we plan to get molli spayed this fall. (hopefully)

and also, if anyone knows, molli is a toy poodle mix. she is afraid of dogs bigger than her that play too roughly with her. if molli grows up with this new puppy, will she be afraid of him? (she wasnt afraid of our old cocker, missy, because missy didnt like to play with molli)

Jessika
10-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Only nine weeks?? Chances are his testicles haven't even dropped yet, so I would say no. But I recommend getting them fixed ASAP, especially if they are going to be living in a house together.

buttercup132
10-14-2005, 07:49 PM
ya lol he wont be able to make her pregnant nor i dont think will he try , but get them fixed asap and i hope you dont plan on breeding them! i know what you did with your rabbits and hope your not planning on making another mistake. get picstures asap too :D you should get some of mollie(sp?) and if you get the puppy him too. good luck

dab_20
10-14-2005, 07:55 PM
well i would never breed dogs- especially mixed. i wouldent want to take the risk of my dog or the puppies dieing from birth problems. i get too attatched. well we are for sure getting molli spayed this year. not the pup of course. i would LOVE to post pics, but my mom doesnt have a digital camera. my dad does so i take pics of his animals. maybe someday my mom will get a digital camera. thanks for answering!

anyone else know about my other question?

Flatcoatluver
10-14-2005, 07:59 PM
well i would never breed dogs- especially mixed. i wouldent want to take the risk of my dog or the puppies dieing from birth problems. i get too attatched. well we are for sure getting molli spayed this year. not the pup of course. i would LOVE to post pics, but my mom doesnt have a digital camera. my dad does so i take pics of his animals. maybe someday my mom will get a digital camera. thanks for answering!

anyone else know about my other question?
why arn't you neutering the boy?
I doub't there will be a problem with playing just have to watch them close

buttercup132
10-14-2005, 08:10 PM
boys can get testicle deaseses as they age if they dont get fixed and various other diseases my male dog isnt fixed but boy i wish he was hes got many problems ..:( anywho great to hear about not breeding your dogs! they shouldnt fight im sire millie would put the pup in its place if it bothered her . why dont yuou ask your dad if you can bring his cam to your mums for a day?

bckrazy
10-14-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm about 99.9% sure that the ad you described is a puppy either from a Backyard Breeder or a Puppy Mill. First off, no decent breeder would advertise in the newspaper, good breeders have waiting lists for their dogs because they are involved in showing and working their dogs. Second, there is no possible way that a breeder can get the parents health checked, show the parents, get frequent vet check-ups on the puppies, get 2+ dewormings and all of the necessary shots and only charge $100 per puppy ~ my guess is that the pups have recieved the bare minimum of shots, if any, and the parents had no work done. They probably are not AKC registered either, which is a MUST! If you don't buy from a breeder that does all of these screenings, showing, vet checks and has AKC registered puppies, you are only supporting and encouraging the massive overpopulation of dogs in our country.

I thought you were volunteering at a shelter? Don't you see ALL of the dogs being euthanized every day? Haven't you seen plenty of sweet, wonderful small-breed puppies come in and out of the shelter? Supporting BYB's and Puppy Mills kills homeless animals, period. PLEASE don't buy from these people and support more litters down the line, and more overpopulation! Please consider paying an extra $400+ for a well-bred puppy from a reputable breeder, OR better yet rescue a homeless puppy from a shelter.

dab_20
10-14-2005, 08:24 PM
i meant i cant get the boy pup spayed THIS year. it would be to young. i suppose i could ask him to bring the camera. thanks for the replies everyone!

bckrazy- my mom and i do not want a registered dog. that doesnt matter to us. and we would never get an unhealthy, puppy mill dog. thats for sure! maybe they did breed their dogs for no reason. and the pup needs a home. that doesnt mean they didnt take good care of the puppies. (and i am not saying i support back yard breeders either) as long as it is healthy, and comes from a decent home, i am willing to give him a home. i am volenteering at a shelter. they get one small dog about once every year. in about 9 out of 10 cages they are all labs. they do have a bichon mix, but it does not get along with other dogs. btw- if everyone followed the rule of only getting a registered dog, there would be 10 times more dogs in shelters!! and my shelter is no-kill

Jessika
10-14-2005, 08:26 PM
i meant i cant get the boy pup spayed THIS year. it would be to young. i suppose i could ask him to bring the camera.

bckrazy- my mom and i do not want a registered dog. that doesnt matter to us. and we would never get an unhealthy, puppy mill dog. thats for sure! maybe they did breed their dogs for no reason. and the pup needs a home. that doesnt mean they didnt take good care of the puppies. (and i am not saying a support back yard breeders either) as long as it is healthy, and comes from a decent home, i am willing to give him a home. i am volenteering at a shelter. they get one small dog about once every year. in about 9 out of 10 cages they are all labs. they do have a bichon mix, but it does not get along with other dogs.

It's never "too young" to get them spayed or neutered... as long as you have all their puppy shots taken care of, you can get them spayed or neutered. O_o Unless theres some rule I've never heard of before, my parents adopted a 2.5 to 3 month pup who was already fixed from the shelter before, and on Animal Cops the vets fix young puppies and kittens all the time when they're only like 8 to 10 weeks old.

PS: you can't get a boy spayed, anyway :P

dab_20
10-14-2005, 08:33 PM
ohhh, well we will prolly do it next spring then. i watch animal cops also! its a good show. and LOL i ment nueter. i have never had a boy dog before, (i had one for a couple months though) so i am used to saying spayed. lol :)

Flatcoatluver
10-14-2005, 08:39 PM
I hope you don't mind be asking but why wait till spring? I waited that long and t.j. ran away twise looking for girlfreinds, after we got him neutered he quit.

dab_20
10-14-2005, 09:16 PM
because my mom cant afford to get all the puppy, puppy supplies, vet bills, mollis hair cut, molli spayed, food, AND a nueter all this fall. thats why we might not get this puppy. we have to seriously think about it first. ;)

jackie
10-15-2005, 05:42 AM
and i am not saying i support back yard breeders either

If you buy a dog from a BYB you are 100% supporting them.

buttercup132
10-15-2005, 07:19 AM
maybe you shouldnt get a puppy right now then if you cant afford it, save up for a year for the nuter then go out puppy looking and hey maybe they willl bring in a small pup to your shelter or better yet go looking in other shelters near you those dogs will already be nutered

dab_20
10-15-2005, 09:34 AM
thats what we are still deciding. today we will look at the puppy. and then my mom will look at about how much money we will have to spend. i will tell you today or tomorrow what she says!

IRescue452
10-15-2005, 10:55 AM
BCKrazy, why must the dog be AKC registered. The AKC registers puppy mills. My cocker is registered and we picked her up at the puppy mill where she was bred. I'd never look for a quality dog just by the fact that they are akc registered. In fact, I'd like to find breeders that don't bother handing out registrations left and right as their puppies go to god knows who. Then the new owners are less likely to breed their pets because the breeder didn't give them a registration. As for cockers, having a 14 years old puppy mill cocker and seeing many many other cockers from both breeders and mills, I'd never buy one from a reputable breeder. I'm not saying I'd flat out support bybs but I'd find one in a shelter or rescue that I knew came from a puppy mill or byb. For cockers, the conformation breeders seem to produce the poor quality dogs in health and temperment, they need to get their heads screwed on right and stop breeding for conformation because they are the ones ruining the breed.

IRescue452
10-15-2005, 10:59 AM
And dab_20, I'd buy this dog if I were looking at it. CHances are they are a person who bred their female once and are now finding out the hard way that they can't make a profit and that its also not easy to find homes for the dogs. But if I couldn't affford it currently, I'd wait.

dab_20
10-15-2005, 06:35 PM
thanks irescue425. my mom decided she does have enough money for everything. when we went to go look at the puppy, my friend answered the door! apparently its my friends cocker. the dad was a handsome chocolate and white, and the mom was a cream color. the parents were both friendly and healthy. the puppy is soo cute! black and a white strip on the back that looks like lightning. looked very healthy. so we got him. he is a sweetie.

a couple questions. the new puppy 'humps' my female dog (whos in heat)
should i allow that??
and the puppy grabs ahold of mollis fur and pulls it. molli has yelped a couple times. should i just let them sort it out?? i cant tell if molli likes him or not.

Jessika
10-15-2005, 06:48 PM
As far as the humping goes, theres really nothing you can do to stop that... its instinct kicking in, and yet ANOTHER reason why you should fix both animals asap!

buttercup132
10-15-2005, 08:34 PM
all animals bite near the neck area or whatevr they can grab when they are hmpin or mating so they can keep there balance except rabbits dont do it thats prob why you havnt seen i before , umm id personally squirt him with a spray bottle or something when he tries to hump her and tell him no incase he dose in in the near futur and jessika getting him nutered wont stop him from humping i know male dogs that are fixed and still hump she also said she has enough money for him and molli to be fixed, but it dose help and by squirting it stops him from doing it when hes older and nutered. congrads on your new pup lol steal ur cam from your dad so you can take pictures:D

Jessika
10-15-2005, 08:50 PM
all animals bite near the neck area or whatevr they can grab when they are hmpin or mating so they can keep there balance except rabbits dont do it thats prob why you havnt seen i before , umm id personally squirt him with a spray bottle or something when he tries to hump her and tell him no incase he dose in in the near futur and jessika getting him nutered wont stop him from humping i know male dogs that are fixed and still hump she also said she has enough money for him and molli to be fixed, but it dose help and by squirting it stops him from doing it when hes older and nutered. congrads on your new pup lol steal ur cam from your dad so you can take pictures:D

I never said it WOULD stop him from humping, but it WILL stop the urges to do so. If she isn't in heat, he won't want to hump her. Likewise if HE get neutered it will greatly reduce the chances of him roaming or wanting to roam if there is a female in heat nearby.

On the completely opposite end though, humping is not only a sign of "horniness" but a sign of dominance. Since he is new he might try humping her to display dominance. I know Jamie humped Charlie at first and they're just getting used to each other. Neither one has humped the other since they've been fixed, and now that they've gotten the dominance straightened out and know each other.

Kirbys Mom
10-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Nope she wont get pregnant males arent usaully ready to mate till aleast 6 months so watch out then.

dab_20
10-15-2005, 11:15 PM
ok thanks everyone. i know 'humping' is a display of dominence, as molli has been doing that to my puppy. (now named sammy)

but another problem. today molli bites sammy when he gets close to her will she is eating or playing. i picked molli up and she bit me!! she barks at me when i play with sammy. (although i pay equal attention to molli)
and she wont listen to me anymore. i will yell her name but all she does is try and chase the new dog. its like since i got sammy the 'devil' is coming out of molli. will she stop being so mean when she gets used to sammy??

IRescue452
10-16-2005, 10:25 AM
If Sammy is rough with Molli, don't pick one of them up right away. When she turns around and growls and nips quickly she is teaching him the dog command "that's enough". He should learn how to interact with dogs and what each correction means, eventually he'll learn to respect her when she's says she's had enough. Only seperate them when you think its getting too rough or when Molli needs a break from this pup.

dab_20
10-16-2005, 11:20 AM
ok thanks alot. i think they will get used to each other, but i dont know about mollis food aggression. shes been food aggresive since she was a little puppy.

bckrazy
10-18-2005, 11:05 PM
BCKrazy, why must the dog be AKC registered. The AKC registers puppy mills. My cocker is registered and we picked her up at the puppy mill where she was bred. I'd never look for a quality dog just by the fact that they are akc registered. In fact, I'd like to find breeders that don't bother handing out registrations left and right as their puppies go to god knows who. Then the new owners are less likely to breed their pets because the breeder didn't give them a registration. As for cockers, having a 14 years old puppy mill cocker and seeing many many other cockers from both breeders and mills, I'd never buy one from a reputable breeder. I'm not saying I'd flat out support bybs but I'd find one in a shelter or rescue that I knew came from a puppy mill or byb. For cockers, the conformation breeders seem to produce the poor quality dogs in health and temperment, they need to get their heads screwed on right and stop breeding for conformation because they are the ones ruining the breed.

Are you SERIOUS? Honestly, are you?.... Wow, thats awesome advice. Just awesome. Conformation people are RUINING the Cocker Spaniel breed, and Backyard Breeders are striving to improve it. It's the BYB's that are running health and temperament tests on all of their breeding dogs and attaining CGC's before breeding. BYB's also work their azzes off socializing and training dogs so that they can be handled with ease by judges. You are sooo right!!! :D

I'm not saying don't rescue. Did you notice in my post that I asked her to PLEASE rescue OR find a good breeder?! Buying from a reputable breeder is as good as rescuing, in the sense that buying from a good breeder is not contributing to the overpopulation ~ good breeders have a contract with the new owner stating they get the dog back if the owner wants to abandon it, they also have contracts requiring the spaying/neutering of pet quality puppies and are given a limited registration. As far as I'm concerned, any legitimate registry is absolutely fine, as long as the dog has documentation that it is a purebred dog... I can't even count the number of people I've met who bought "purebred" Yorkie or Poodle puppies from BYB's and later found out that their dog was far from purebred. Anyway, it's kind of hypocritical that your SN is "irescue" and you encourage everyone to go out and buy the first BYB puppy ad they see in the paper! No rescue person that I know would dream of saying that, except with complete sarcasm.

Suki Wingy
10-19-2005, 03:29 PM
You are always awsome at formulating your ideas! Reputable, responsible conformation breeders are contributing in no way the the over pobulation problem. You can and should neuter dogs at 9 weeks or so and I am pretty sure it is only like $50.

dab_20
10-19-2005, 04:27 PM
it doesnt matter how old they are it is still the same price. and my vet refuses to spay or nueter a dog at nine weeks. it is NOT neccessary. my vet and most other vets say around five months is best. and i agree too.

but anyways ppl. stop trying to prove ppl wrong! no matter how much you try and convince them, they are STILL going to believe what they think is right. and i believe its just fine to buy a puppy in a news paper ad. as long as when you go see the puppy, it is as healthy as can be. there is nothing wrong with that. puppy mills are another story. also, if no one got puppies from newspapers, wouldent that mean those puppies will end up in humane societies????

and suki wingy, i love your siggies!

Jessika
10-23-2005, 02:31 AM
You are always awsome at formulating your ideas! Reputable, responsible conformation breeders are contributing in no way the the over pobulation problem. You can and should neuter dogs at 9 weeks or so and I am pretty sure it is only like $50.

*scoffs* $50?? right. I forked over more than $200 to get Charlie fixed, and that was AFTER they knocked off $100 AND it was the cheapest place around (in my area) to have it done. Granted, both testicles were retained, but still, $50 - $200 is quiiiite the difference. If you know of any places that DO perform this operation that cheap, let me know. Because that's amaaazing and I would really be interested :o

k9krazee
10-23-2005, 10:44 AM
We got Micki and my RB cat Lucky fixed for free...our humane society does an annual spay/neuter program, granted, we had to drive all the way to the humane society in a snowstorm but it was worth it. For normal neutering they charge $50-$75 and to spay a female its generally a little more expensive. We haven't gotten Kyra spayed yet, our vet told us that he wouldn't do it, he wants us to take her to MSU because she is supposedly at "high risk" because of her cleft palate. We called them and they will charge us over $200 to spay a 8 pound dog! But yeah, there are some places that do low cost spay/neuters.

bckrazy
10-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Gonzo was neutered for $75. Not at a spay/neuter clinic, at our very nice, huge, high-tech Vet's. They also boarded him for over a day, lasered him, and cared for him very well. I've never met any vets that charge $200 to neuter a dog, much less spay them. A couple years ago, my sister fostered an Aussie mix female and when she took her in to get spayed, they discovered that she was in the early stages of a pregnancy. Even having to abort puppies AND spay her, she payed $100, again to a very nice Vet and not at a speuter clinic.

There are at least a dozen spay/neuter clinics monthly in my area, and they charge $20 for male dogs and $30 for female dogs, or less. You cannot beat that! ;) This is also California, where nothing tends to be very cheap. I think people just need to search more, and find a good Vet that isn't completely in the business for money... I've met a few of those, who WILL charge 2 or 3x the amount of a reputable Vet.

$200 IS a fairly good amount of money, but to be honest, we ALL spend that on an average shopping spree, for clothes that we'll keep for a year at best. Neutering/spaying your dog for the same amount as a few clothing items saves lives, including your dogs life.

Flatcoatluver
10-23-2005, 02:06 PM
$200 IS a fairly good amount of money, but to be honest, we ALL spend that on an average shopping spree, for clothes that we'll keep for a year at best. Neutering/spaying your dog for the same amount as a few clothing items saves lives, including your dogs life.
very nice exaple, Zoey and t.j were both 60 and that wasn't even a clinic!

Roxyluvsme13
10-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Roxy's spay was only about $75 i think. PLUS they ran some tests on her and stuff, and we ended up paying about $200. Tink hasnt been spayed yet, and I don't think her vet does spays as young as 9-10 weeks. Thats her age, and they have said nothing about it. Well, I guess they haven't had time to mention it, because of all her health problems:(. Can't Wait for Pics of the puppy! hurry and take some! lol

Jessika
10-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Wow, you guys are all so fortunate to find clinics that spay and neuter for under $100. I called around at least 10 different vet clinics and shelters with vet staff in my area for quote on neutering (and the price for some differed by age, which I thought was odd) and almost all of them quoted me at over $200. :( The one I went with quoted me at like $160 but ended up charging me more because of his retained testicles.

Roxyluvsme13
10-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Wow, you guys are all so fortunate to find clinics that spay and neuter for under $100. I called around at least 10 different vet clinics and shelters with vet staff in my area for quote on neutering (and the price for some differed by age, which I thought was odd) and almost all of them quoted me at over $200. :( The one I went with quoted me at like $160 but ended up charging me more because of his retained testicles.
I can't believe they charged you that much! My first dog, I think that we got some kind of paper from the shelter that gave us a discount. and Roxy was from the shelter and her adoption fee paid for her spay, so I'm really not sure how much they charge here...I guess I'll know when Tink is old enough to be spayed.