PDA

View Full Version : Sherman's vet visit update

cyber-sibes
10-14-2005, 04:31 PM
i just got back from the dogpark - :( Sherman slammed hard right into a tree at the dogpark, I think he may have broken a toe. :( At first I thought he poked his eye out because he had sap lines across his face & head. But aside from a swollen eye & nose & bloody upper lip, his head's ok. I've never heard him cry out like that! I sat holding his head for a while, then carried him to the car. I called the vet, she said if he's still not weight-bearing on that paw by tomorrow, bring him in. She said even if he broke it, it's ok to wait till morning, it won't change the treatment. So please send some quick PT good vibes that he'll be ok by morning. Thanks

chocolatepuppy
10-14-2005, 04:39 PM
Poor Sherman. :( Prayers headed your way.

k9krazee
10-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Poor Sherman! He will definately be in our thoughts!!!

RobiLee
10-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Oh no! Poor Sherman. Pat, I'm so sorry. I'm sending out a prayer for Sherman. Please give that gorgeous boy a gentle hug from me.

Anita Cholaine
10-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Poor boy:( He'll be in my thoughts..........

lizbud
10-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Oh you poor boy Sherman. :( My head hurts just thinking about your
accident. :( I do hope you will feel better tomorrow and that your paw
is alright. I'll be thinking of you sweetie.

Daisy and Delilah
10-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Thoughts and prayers are coming to you Sherman from Florida!! Please be ok Sherman!! Hugs and kisses to you. Hang in there Mom! :)

beeniesmom
10-14-2005, 05:34 PM
oh no! I hope he gets better soon. Sounds like it was painful.

Ginger's Mom
10-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Aww, Sherman sweetie, no more chasing those trees, okay? I hope it is nothing serious and he is feeling better in the morning. Gentle hugs to Sherman.

Vette
10-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Awww poor dude. :(
im glad it wasnt so much his head that hit the tree. ive heard that dogs can sezure(SP?) if hit in just the right spot on the back of the head. :eek:

all paws and fingers crossed for your fuzhead!

Cinder & Smoke
10-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Hi God ~

Need a lil Help down here onna ole Durt Ball fur our dawg park Buddie Sherman.

Big tree jumped out rite in frunta him an he *bonked* hiz noggin an
mitta bust-a-makated a toe! ( OUWCHIE )

Think it'd be OK fur hiz Mom to gib him an ASPRIN?

Paleeze Help him to rest eezzie tanite ...
We're hopin he goez ta see da White Coat inna morning - kan't be too careful!

Thanks, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

luvofallhorses
10-14-2005, 08:26 PM
The poor dear. :( Hugs to you and Sherman! Please keep us updated.

CagneyDog
10-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Ouch :( Poor Sherman. He'll be in my prayers.

LuvGold00
10-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Feel better soon Sherman, I'll be thinking of you!

cyber-sibes
10-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks so much for all your prayers. He's still hopping around on 3 paws, but he seems to be feeling better, his ears are up again and he's givin' kisses. will update in the morning...

K9karen
10-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Poor baby! Get Better Prayers on the way.

cyber-sibes
10-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Just got back from the vets, she doesn't think it's a broken toe. She said sometimes it could be the elbow or shoulder and if he's still limping on Monday, come back. He is putting a little more pressure on his foot and his paw looks pretty normal. So he has to stay quiet till then- no trips to the dogpark this weekend! Which is probably good cause there's a "Revolutionary War" reenactment & camp going on, it'll be hard to park anywhere near the park. Sherman's enjoying lots of extra attention and treats, too! Thanks again for the prayers & good vibes...PT rocks!

Ginger's Mom
10-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Still hoping it is nothing serious, and that the handsome boy is feeling better soon.

lizbud
10-15-2005, 10:42 AM
It's good to hear that Sherman's feeling good enough to put pressure
on the paw and give kisses. :) Keep on feeling better sweetie. :)

anna_66
10-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Oh Sherman, I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident, I bet that REALLY hurt:(
But I am glad to hear your toes not broken, and hopefully by Monday you will be feeling better with no aches or pains. Eat up all that extra love and attention while you can!

Now, make sure you don't go head first into any more trees...OK;)

4theloveofzoe
10-15-2005, 10:47 AM
{{Sending get better vibes to Sherman!!!}}

luvofallhorses
10-15-2005, 12:57 PM
I am glad he's OK...good thoughts and prayers going his way.

Cincy'sMom
10-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Glad to hear Sherman is feeling better! Those trees do come out of nowhere sometimes!!

Get some rest Sherman, and you'll be back running the park before you know it!

crsvstang
10-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh,no poor Sherman :( He will be in my thoughts!

RobiLee
10-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Checking in to see how Sherman is doing today. I hope he is all better.

Kfamr
10-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Oh no! I just saw this. Poor you and poor Sherman! Hopefully he continues to get better. :D

wolf_Q
10-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Oh no, sorry to hear about Sherman. :( Hope he gets feeling better soon!

elizabethann
10-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Sherman, please watch out for future trees.

I hope you are feeling much better and your foot heals really soon.

Take care.

:)

shais_mom
10-16-2005, 02:01 PM
poor sweet Sherman!
I hope he's ok!

vinjashira
10-16-2005, 03:02 PM
get better soon Sherman!

cyber-sibes
10-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all your good wishes for Sherman. It's Sunday night and he's still holding his paw up most of the time. But we can apply a good bit of pressure and he doesn't seem to mind, so I guess that's a pretty good sign he's on the mend. Overall it's kind of amazing that this doesn't happen to him more often considering his vision problem. I think if it had been a BIG tree, he would have picked it up in his peripheral vision, but it was one of the small trees they planted last year, I don't think he saw it coming, poor guy! i'm just thankful it was his paw and not his eye. The swelling over his eye has gone down quite a bit. Today he's definitely more interested in what snack I've brought him more than in keeping his foot away from us. LOL! He's such a sweetheart! He likes all the kisses & hugs I give to him from all of you. Star is doing her best to cheer him up by trying to get him to chase her, but he's staying pretty calm, just tries to bat her with his gimpy paw and growls at her in play.:rolleyes:

lv4dogs
10-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Oh my, I just saw this. How is he this morning?
Sending tons of good thoughts your way.

ramanth
10-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Poor guy! How's Sherman today? Hope he's healing fast.

cyber-sibes
10-18-2005, 06:59 PM
This afternoon (Tuesday) Sherman made his first trip back to the dogpark. He didn't do any running as he's still limping, but there were lots of dogs there and he had fun posturing with them to get them to play, and of course hanging around with all the owners & getting petted & coddled! (Oh, pooooor Sherman! pet- pet-pet ;) ) Towards the end he was limping more and whining a bit on the way home, so he got an aspirin after supper. Thanks again for your thoughts. :D Sherman sends you all slurps!

CagneyDog
10-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm glad he is getting better! I can't even imagin how much that would of hurt!

shutterbug0303
10-18-2005, 07:57 PM
glad to hear Sherman is on the mend!! Sounds like another good day at the dogpark with all that coddling...one of my favorites when I dont' feel the best! hehehe The aspirin and a good night's sleep will have him feeling much better again I'm sure :)

cyber-sibes
10-18-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm glad he is getting better! I can't even imagin how much that would of hurt!
Yeah, me either. Just stubbing my toe a little bit is agonizing! I could tell by how he cried out that it must have been excruciating. Dogs are amazingly stoic, aren't they? I did look at the tree, the bark is ripped where he hit. He didn't go ANYWHERE near that BAD TREE today! His middle toe is still swollen, but since we can put pressure on it, we don't think its broken or out of joint. Its just that when he stands, it doesn't touch the ground like the rest of them, it sticks up a bit. We think he's going to be fine, it'll just take some time.

Cinder & Smoke
10-18-2005, 09:33 PM
His middle toe is still swollen ...
we don't think its broken or out of joint.
... when he stands, it doesn't touch the ground like the rest of them,
it sticks up a bit.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

Did the Vet take an X-ray of the sore paw?

When Shadow (RB http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif Husky/Shepherd) *broke* the outside toe on her rear paw,
the Vet took an X-ray to confirm his suspicion ...
The X-ray clearly showed the break so there was no "guessing".

The "FIX" was a wrap on the entire foot up past the first joint - which
stayed on for 6 weeks or so.

She got the X-ray and Wrap within 12 hours of the injury, and she never let that
paw even touch the ground before or after the tratment, so I don't know if she
could have kept just that one toe "up" or not.

I'd at least call the Vet and describe how he's "holding it up" -
that might or might not be normal.

Feel Better, Sherm!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

/s/ Phred

RobiLee
10-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Keep on healing, Sherman!

pitc9
10-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Poor Baby! I'm so sorry I just saw this..... OMG I hope he's totaly back to normal self soon!!

cyber-sibes
10-19-2005, 02:31 PM
:( Sherman's going back to the vet Thurs. morning.
I'll post what she decides to do when I get home. :confused:

shais_mom
10-19-2005, 11:41 PM
poor guy....
will keep him in my continued thoughts

pitc9
10-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Oh No... poor baby boy!
I hope they find out what's wrong so he can start getting better soon!

RobiLee
10-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Thinking of Sherman and waiting to hear what the vet had to say. I hope its not too bad.

cyber-sibes
10-20-2005, 09:59 AM
We're back home. He does have a broken toe, but he's healing well and our vet doesn't splint paws unless the break is in the upper bones. (metacarpals?) She said he has swelling around the joint, so he's on anti-inflammatories for a couple weeks. She said that usually takes care of it, he won't have any long term complications, and as long as he doesn't keep bumping into things he'll be fine. She also examined his eyes and said the cataracts look pretty minimal now. We thought his vision had improved a bit this year, he's tracking movement better.
(:mad:It's just those darn trees that don't move that are a problem!) Last night at the dogpark he was actually running and I saw him dig a little with that paw, too. Now I have to go pass out a few more treats....

lizbud
10-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm so glad you updated on Sherman & it's a good one. :) Hope his toe
heals up quickly & completely. Hugs to the big guy. :)

boxer_babe
10-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Poor baby :(

boxer_babe
10-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Oh, didn't see the update, that's great he is OK

Ginger's Mom
10-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Glad to hear that Sherman is on the mend. Please give him hugs for me.