PDA

View Full Version : brain disese in cats

toughCookie
03-21-2002, 02:48 PM
I recently lost my orange tabby, Cookie. I had to have her put to sleep at only 13 months old, she had a degeneritive brain disorder, where the illness attacks the white matter of the brain.I have been told this is very rare, and has been also found in some labador dogs.

Has anyone else heard of this, or of any cats with it?

It was very hard to let her go, but she was not getting any better,
they say most cats with this, only live up to 6 weeks, and my (tough)Cookie lived to be 13 months old! She got very sick a few days after we got her, and after 2 days in the emergency vets, she was better, then would sometimes get some other symptoms that would require another visit to her regular vet, and some medicine, but on February 12, she got very sick, and there was no more saving her. I am trying to find out more information on this disease, and if anyone else knows anything about this, please email or send me a instant message when online. thanks.
Mary

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-21-2002, 02:55 PM
Hi Mary, and welcome to Pet Talk. :)

So sorry to hear about your little cookie, and it sounds like she really was a tough cookie too. :(

Unfortunately I don't have any information on this condition, but I just wanted to say how sorry I was about Cookie's passing, and say a big welcome to Pet Talk. Hopefully your stay here will encourage you to get another little kitten - not to replace Cookie, but to help fill the void in your life since she left.

toughCookie
03-21-2002, 03:07 PM
thank you for the nice message!

Randi
03-21-2002, 03:12 PM
I would also like to say a big Welcome! Your little Cookie was tough indeed! So sorry to hear she had to go! :(

I'm afraid I don't have any info on that disease either - but if I find any I'll send it. :)

momoffuzzyfaces
03-21-2002, 03:21 PM
Here is a site that may help you:
http://netvet.wustl.edu/ssi.htm
It's called the Electric Zoo. Just click on the cat and it brings up tons of different cat stuff.
It's one of my favorite animal sites.

So sorry about your loved Cookie. I'm glad you joined Pet Talk but wish it was under happier cercumstances.:(

toughCookie
03-21-2002, 06:25 PM
thank you. I will look at the site now.

lynnestankard
03-22-2002, 03:43 PM
Oh Mary so sad to hear of the sad death of your lovely Cookie - I've never heard of brain disease in cats and sorry I can't be of any help. But thinking of you - especially at this very sad time for you.
Welcome to Pet Talk though - and I hope you enjoy chatting on the site.

Lynne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Mary, I don't know if this will make you sadder or not, but I thought it might actually cheer you up. Go to Fister (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8964) and scroll down. You will see the most beautiful orange tabby I've seen in a long time. He is just so....so....regal looking, I guess you'd call it. :)

Hope Fister brings you smiles and helps you remember the good times you had with your little Cookie. :)

Oh, PS, there are two pictures so don't forget to keep scrolling after you see the big one of him licking his chops. :)

tatsxxx11
03-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Dear Mary, please accepty my sympathys on the loss of your BRAVE, BRAVE, "tough" Cookie girl. She's sounds like such a beautiful, sweet girl. I'm going to check out some of my vet. info. sites to see if I can find any more info. for you. Again, my sincere condolences. It is so very hard to lose a furkid, especially one so young. Now, waiting for you at the RB Bridge, she is finally free from the pain and suffering. You WILL see her again. Love, Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver.

toughCookie
03-23-2002, 11:46 PM
thank you everyone for all the nice messages!:)

toughCookie
03-23-2002, 11:52 PM
yes Fister is adorable... did u see the pic of my cookie? it is one of my favorite pics of her, I think she also looks regal in that pic.

toughCookie
03-23-2002, 11:56 PM
tatsxxx11

thank you. I also called cookie my cookie girl !! muffin is here on my desk, and she says hello to all !! she misses her sister,
and, she doesn't know it yet, but will soon have lots of company around here...I have signed up to foster cats, and kittens, should start soon. muffin is glad we found this site, pet talk.:)

LoudLou
03-24-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by toughCookie
....I have signed up to foster cats, and kittens, should start soon. muffin is gald we found this site, pet talk.:)

WoW! Y'all are gonna have fun! Cookie would be proud of you! Muffin's going to make lots of new friends.:) We are glad you found Pet Talk, too.

Kate, Loud Louie & 'Da Beans

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-25-2002, 08:46 PM
No, I didn't see the picture of Cookie. Where can I see the little darling? :)

toughCookie
03-29-2002, 01:48 AM
sorry I didnt see your post until now. I am having trouble with the dumb site... it wont let me put the pic on there i want... I will post the pic tomorrow, if you still want to see it

AmberLee
03-29-2002, 01:24 PM
Yes!!! We want to see it. In addition to being Fur Addicts, we all seem to be photo addicts, too! Good luck posting. I got pretty good with it at webshots, but have lost confidence since that site changed. *sigh*